Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 3878 times)

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Sleep Apnea
« on: March 03, 2007, 12:46:55 AM »
Ok so I know crazy new thread.  But I just got diagnosed with sleep apnea... which would explain my being exhausted all the time.(being fat doesn't help either). :D So I was wondering if anyone else out there has it and how long it took to get used to wearing that mask to sleep.
 The docs. told me I had a very severe case (I stop breathing 96 times / hour) Yeah! I was shocked to hear that too. And I snore at a very loud Level 6 out of 10... when most loud snoreres are at a level 3. No wonder no one ever wants to share a room with me.  So anyways do you have it and if so do you feel better now?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:38:27 PM by jules778 »

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep Apnea
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 12:49:18 AM »
You have to wear a mask for that?  What is it like? How did you find out?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 12:53:28 AM »
I will have to wear a mask.  I found out because I was always tired... would wake up w/ a sore throat and sometimes coughing when I woke up. I also snore very loud. I finally went to a sleep disorder clinic and they put all these wires all over and some things like and oxygen tube up my nose and now they say ... sleep apnea... I could also get surgery to have my soft palet reduced and nasal stuff to open up my airways... but w/ insurance they want me to try the machine first. I won't get my machine for three weeks though.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 12:57:36 AM »
I snore  :-\

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »
my husband has self-diagnosed me with sleep apnea.   ::)

he really does think i need to get tested, i'm constantly tired, snore like crazy, basically, what you just said.  i probably should get tested.

one of the guys he used to coach with has it, and he has gotten used to the mask and won't go anywhere without it.

good luck.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 01:20:30 AM »
my husband has self-diagnosed me with sleep apnea.   ::)

he really does think i need to get tested, i'm constantly tired, snore like crazy, basically, what you just said.  i probably should get tested.

one of the guys he used to coach with has it, and he has gotten used to the mask and won't go anywhere without it.

good luck.

definatly get tested the doc. scared the crap out of my telling me I could die real young b/c my heart is working too hard

Offline Namaste

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »
I'm a nurse and actually - I havent found one person that really likes to use the mask.  It's big a bulky but I've heard first hand from patients that it is worth wearing in the long run.  You will feel so much better.  Other than it blowing air into your lungs when you stop breathing and drying out all your mucus membranes ... you will benefit greatly !!  You certainly have a severe case.  I've NEVER met anyone who stops breathing 96 times in one minute.  Considering there are only 60 seconds in a minute, your lucky to still be alive !!!   :o

On the other hand, if you have any questions, I'll help.  If I dont know the answer off hand I sure have the resources to find out for you.

Offline librarian

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 01:52:37 PM »
I have been wearing a mask for over 3 years, i got used to it during the 1st week but my wife still sleeps in another room :D

http://synchromysticism.blogspot.com/

Offline amoparman

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 02:29:38 PM »
Supposed to wear mine, but can't cause I'm too stuffed up...  but it does work

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
I too have sleep apnea - snore loud, and tested with 69 times per hour stopped breathing.  Then they put the mask on and tell you to sleep the rest of the night with it while at the center.  I hated it!!  I felt like I slept worse with it on.  Couldn't imagine wearing it to bed the rest of my life.

Then my dentist offered to get me a mouth piece that he molds to my mouth.  I wear this every night. It pulls your lower yaw forward which keeps your throat open.  Try it while you read this.  Shove your chin forward and breath thru your nose with your mouth shut.  Works, doesn't it!!  I thought it would give me a horrendous under-bite, but no ill effects.  And I sleep much better.  I forgot it on a recent romantic getaway with my wife.... not good.  Neither drove her from the room with my snooring and had terrible sore throat in the morning.

Ask your dentist and look into it.  It worked for me, and it can work for you too.

This unsolicited and unpaid endorsement has been provided by LFTS.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 09:00:08 PM »
you're right that does help.  I used to sleep w/ a mouth piece so I wouldn't grind my teeth. I hated it.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 09:45:16 PM »
[deeppink]i sleep with a mouthpiece because i grind my teeth and have since i was 16.  i don't know that i could do the special mouthpiece because i have tmj and i think that would probably make my jaw problems even worse.[/color]

scrod

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
There are some mask types that are better than others.  Ask the company that supplies your CPAP to bring more than one type to see what is most comfortable for you.  I use one ( i think it is the mirage swift) that has nasal pillows.  You are going to be using this for a third of every day - It has to be comfortable, don't let them push something crappy on you.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 03:44:35 PM »
.  I've NEVER met anyone who stops breathing 96 times in one minute.  Considering there are only 60 seconds in a minute, your lucky to still be alive !!!   :o

not 96/min.... 96 times an hour

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
Well, I'm relieved to hear that  ;)  I couldn't figure out how you breathed at all.  This thread makes me think I should record myself sleeping.  That is a frightening thought!