Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 3885 times)

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep Apnea
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »
Jules -

My dad has/had a really bad case of sleep apnea and has tried several masks for his CPAP machine.  He's finally found the perfect one for him...the one that covers both your mouth and nose and has a small pad that rests on your forehead. 

Recently he's been seeing a pulmonologist and found out that he has a "large tongue" which has been adding to the sleep apnea due to his deviated septum (most of us have deviated septums).  ANyway there is some new aparatus that you can wear, much like a retainer, that will hold the tongue forward so you can breathe!  I know it sounds like a fake disease...but you might also check into Restless Leg Syndrome.  I always thought it sounded like a made up disease...but it is real and can also contribute to sleep problems.  I would look into the underlying problems of your sleep apnea and try to fix those and maybe you won't have to always be hooked to amachine to get some shut eye!  (look into takin out your tonsils, too - if they are enlarged it can be a problem).

Disclaimer:  I am not, nor plan on becoming, a doctor.  Take everything I say with a grain of salt.  Please know that my brother is an MD, my dad has sleep apnea, and I come from a family of avid researchers....;)

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 09:51:14 AM »
I have had it all my life, I have on occasion in my life woken gasping for breath (even when I was a child.), I snore loudly and spend most of the time sleeping in the living room because I keep my wife awake. Sometimes when Max wants me to lay with him till he falls asleep I have dozed off and  he has woke me up telling me I snore!  I heard its heridetary. Max also snores and wakes up coughing in the middle of the night. I hardly slept at all the first few months of his life I was constantly checking on him to see if he was still breathing.

I took the sleep test last summer, I dont remember the count but they came in and put the C-pap on me about an hour after I went to sleep. They recommended I get a C-pap and so did my Doctor. But my Insurance doesnt cover it, I was wondering how much would the mouth piece cost compared to the C-pap?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »
As I recall, the CPAP machine was several thousands of dollars (someone correct me that actually bought one).  My mouth piece was about $250.  I have used it for maybe 6 years.  It doesn't stop me from snoring completely, but vastly, VASTLY improved.  But I do not believe I stop breathing anymore, which is more important.  And I don't wake up with a soar thoat anymore.

In addition, two years ago I had my deviated septum straightened.  While doing it they also found a bone spur blocking some of my nasal passages.  This surgury greatly improved my ability to breathe thru my nose.. awake or asleep.. and when combined with the mouth piece opening my throat up it is a wonderful improvement.

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
As I recall, the CPAP machine was several thousands of dollars (someone correct me that actually bought one).  My mouth piece was about $250.  I have used it for maybe 6 years.  It doesn't stop me from snoring completely, but vastly, VASTLY improved.  But I do not believe I stop breathing anymore, which is more important.  And I don't wake up with a soar thoat anymore.

In addition, two years ago I had my deviated septum straightened.  While doing it they also found a bone spur blocking some of my nasal passages.  This surgury greatly improved my ability to breathe thru my nose.. awake or asleep.. and when combined with the mouth piece opening my throat up it is a wonderful improvement.
Thanks Jeff, I will ask my Dentist about the Mouth piece. And yes a brand new c-pap is big bucks but you can buy a used one on line for a few hundred...but then again I dont have a few hundred laying around.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 11:40:47 AM by MaxsDad »

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
I was tested for apnea but diagnosed with insomnia instead, but I did quite a bit of research  It's actually a pretty scary diagnosis but just being aware of it can really help. 

You mentioned weight issues; apnea can contribute to your body being more inclined to gaining weight.  The body doesn't differentiate types of stress and the stress of not sleeping restfully (one of the most stressful things that can happen over time is sleep deprivation) causes the body to react by storing energy (as if you were stranded on an island).  It's a kind of downward spiral.  A friend of mine actually lost about 50 pounds after having a surgery to help his apnea without really changing his diet or exercise routine.  ( I do think he was more active due to his increased energy level.)

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »
You mentioned weight issues; apnea can contribute to your body being more inclined to gaining weight.  The body doesn't differentiate types of stress and the stress of not sleeping restfully (one of the most stressful things that can happen over time is sleep deprivation) causes the body to react by storing energy (as if you were stranded on an island).  It's a kind of downward spiral.  A friend of mine actually lost about 50 pounds after having a surgery to help his apnea without really changing his diet or exercise routine.  ( I do think he was more active due to his increased energy level.)

Here's Hoping....!!!!   

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 10:28:15 PM »
Whenever I read about what can ail you, I am like, "oh no!  I probably have that!"  Yeah, so now I'm all ... scared that I have sleep apnea.  Except, I still don't really know what it is.  All I know is that I usually breathe through my mouth when I sleep, and I occasionally wake up with a sore throat.  I don't think I snore loudly (at least, nobody has told me that I do).  Yes, I snore sometimes, but so do most people at some point and to varying degrees.  And, I'm always tired.  Yikes!

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
I didn't think I snored much either and recently everyone I know, pretty much everyone whose known me well enough to be around when I'm asleep (family and a few close friends)  told me that I am a avid snorer (if that is even a word).  I am serious when I say I am going to record myself one night.  I really don't want to, but I guess I should just take the bull by the horns  :-\  ;D  I wake up tired, but not with a sore throat.

scrod

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 12:29:45 AM »
I didn't think I snored much either and recently everyone I know, pretty much everyone whose known me well enough to be around when I'm asleep (family and a few close friends)  told me that I am a avid snorer (if that is even a word).  I am serious when I say I am going to record myself one night.  I really don't want to, but I guess I should just take the bull by the horns  :-\  ;D  I wake up tired, but not with a sore throat.
We kept telling a friend to get checked and she wouldn't so finally one night we had her put her video camera on just before she fell asleep.  She was shocked and frightened at what she saw, called the doctor as soon as they opened.  She has CPAP after her sleep study the next week after that.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »
Cardacct,  sleep apnea is basically when your brain doesn't control the muscles in your mouth when your asleep,... ie: soft palet and tongue, as well as when your awake.  The muscles basically relax to the point where your airways become blocked and you stop breathing for a period of time. It is usually a short period but long enough that your oxygen level decreases. The breathing being stopped cannot cause you to die...b/c your brain eventually tells your body that you need to take a breath. Some people wake up gasping for air, or some coughing and so on. But the doctor told me that a person can die from the wear on the heart from working so hard to get oxygen to the body. So in a nutshell that is what it is. If you're tired all the time and you know that you snore it is worth getting tested. You never know and wouldn't we all like more energy. I know I can't wait to get my machine and get some good sleep. I wake up probably 5-8 times a night. I am not sure if I wake up b/c by brain is getting me to breath, but I hope that is the reason. Cause that will mean I will be able to sleep the whole night. My doctor said he was suprised I was functioning.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:50:18 AM by jules778 »

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 03:40:52 AM »
Cardacct,  sleep apnea is basically when your brain doesn't control the muscles in your mouth when your asleep,... ie: soft palet and tongue, as well as when your awake.  The muscles basically relax to the point where your airways become blocked and you stop breathing for a period of time. It is usually a short period but long enough that your oxygen level decreases. The breathing being stopped cannot cause you to die...b/c your brain eventually tells your body that you need to take a breath. Some people wake up gasping for air, or some coughing and so on. But the doctor told me that a person can die from the wear on the heart from working so hard to get oxygen to the body. So in a nutshell that is what it is. If you're tired all the time and you know that you snore it is worth getting tested. You never know and wouldn't we all like more energy. I know I can't wait to get my machine and get some good sleep. I wake up probably 5-8 times a night. I am not sure if I wake up b/c by brain is getting me to breath, but I hope that is the reason. Cause that will mean I will be able to sleep the whole night. My doctor said he was suprised I was functioning.
Good post Jules.

Maybe you wont die from it but it is a terrifying experience  to wake up suffocating gasping for air, not to mention your spouse watching it.

If you think you have it get it checked! :(

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 11:36:43 PM »
So I just looke at pictures of these masks.  There seems to be a wide variety, some more comfortable looking than others.  Can you choose one?  Or just use the one they give?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:40 AM »
i am not sure yet. I have to wait till after my sleep study to find out. Once they figure out what kind of pressure I need then I think I take a prescription to the store to get the right kind.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »
Hmmm... I never wake up in the middle of the night.  I can sleep through practically anything.  Does that disqualify me?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
I never wake up either (unless I gots to go potty) but I sure keep every one else awake!!  And yes, I do have sleep apnea.