Author Topic: Hurley is a basket case ?  (Read 5803 times)

Offline chicko

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Hurley is a basket case ?
« on: March 02, 2007, 10:59:37 AM »
Funny how no one wants to discuss it...

I have a hard time recalling what was the exact cause that hurley first set foot in his mental institution.
Anyhow, could all his "imagenary friend" issues be a result of his lack of father figure ?
Was that story supposed to tell us more about Hurley's character except the obvious ?

I'm no shrink but there could be a connection...

mindsparkle

Re: Hurley is a basket case ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 12:01:24 PM »
Hurley went to the hospital after he stepped on a deck that ended up collapsing and killing people...

Yes, Hurley has father issues like most of our losties; his father abandoned him at a young fragile age... no child is responsible for their parent leaving or selfishly neglecting their duties by being absent during a child's life

Yes, Hurley developed an imaginary friend to help himself cope with the deaths he feels he caused.... his reactions are perfectly normal given the situations he's been in and had to deal with... 

imho, most people that agree to hospitalization are functioning at a higher rate than those that won't seek help... purely because they do seek and accept help. 

I don't think Hurley is a basket case... so I never would have thought it a necessary discussion... just my two cents...

Offline debbie

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:09:15 PM »
I dont Hurley is a basket case either,He has such a good heart,he is learning to be strong,but still keeping his good heart.Remember the golf corse?,And now Hope,I just love that man!

mindsparkle

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:17:22 PM »
IMHO, again, I think Hurley is one of the most stable and grounded characters on the show... he seems more realistic and human and in spite of his insecurities he manages to over come them on his own terms and does a great job at as well...

I think there are a lot of us that are Hurley lovers and would never associate basket case with Hurley...

I forgot to mention however, it's good that you brought this up, gives us a chance to discuss a great character...

Offline debbie

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
Agreed mindsparkle :)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:11:26 PM »
IMHO, again, I think Hurley is one of the most stable and grounded characters on the show... he seems more realistic and human and in spite of his insecurities he manages to over come them on his own terms and does a great job at as well...

I think there are a lot of us that are Hurley lovers and would never associate basket case with Hurley...

I forgot to mention however, it's good that you brought this up, gives us a chance to discuss a great character...
He's one of the very few characters that is not keeping secrets, playing games, or manipulating.  Many of the other Losties are dealing with unresolved issues, "sins" from their past, or consequences of foolish choices, but poor Hurley is just trying to make sense of it all. 

& he just looks do-darn-huggable, to boot!  :)

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 04:24:46 AM »
If you're looking for a basket case try LOCKE.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:26:05 AM »
If you're looking for a basket case try LOCKE.
Now he could use a massage.  lol

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 05:31:32 AM »
PrincessLeia --
Hurley was hording food before wasn't he. He is not as perfect as you list him.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:45:39 AM »
PrincessLeia --
OH YEAH, keep picking up on the fat guy. He is an easy laugh.
(I can lose a friend, but I can't lose a joke)

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:48:13 AM »
Just stating a fact that was left out. Not at all concerned about his weight!

mindsparkle

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
hording food is pretty petty compared to what some of our losties have done... I guess that's why we neglected to mention it, also being perfect isn't about being without fault...  he hasn't killed anyone on purpose!  Hmmm.... it's all perspective... I guess anyone could build a case against poor ole' Hurley, I just happen to really like him... I'm biased that way!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
PrincessLeia --
Hmmm...good point.  I had forgotten about that.  & although this in not an excuse for his behavior, I do think that can be attributed to his still working through his past issues.  He wasn't doing it to hurt anyone but himself.  :-\

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 02:06:54 AM »
Although he was hurting himself he was still causing others to go hungry (possibly)

Offline daisyrain

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
By eating all of the Ranch ;D ;D ;D