Author Topic: Writers Have Lost Their Marbles  (Read 2360 times)

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Writers Have Lost Their Marbles
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:49:40 PM »
On the surface, this episode was fun. The last time I enjoyed a good Hurley-Charlie moment was back in season 1 when they were trying to fish. But below the surface, this episode had the usual staleness that I'm becoming accustomed to on this show.

First, Locke tells Kate that he has no motivation to find Jack. That doesn't at all fit with Locke's character.

Second, we're told the shadow from Eko's stick gave them a compass bearing. But when has Locke ever had trouble knowing which way was north? The significance of Eko's stick turned out to be nothing more than a plot hole.

And third is Hurley's backstory. It's not bad, it's that we've heard it before. Once again, Hurley wants to break the curse, and also once again, some character jumps in to tell him "we make our own luck." This flashback is identical in concept to Hurley's original flashback episode; only the names changed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:20:37 PM by FeelLikeANut »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Writers Have Lost Their Marbles
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »
That whole "motivation" comment rubbed me the wrong way...I can understand Kate having some anger or resentment at the perception that nobody cared enough to go look for them, but having Locke admit to the lack of motivation didn't make sense. Unless what Locke was trying to say was "I'm not talking about the motivation part, I'm talking about the not-knowing-where-to-look part".

If that' how it was meant then Locke would not be admitting to not being motivated to look for Jack, Kate and Sawyer. But if he meant it he first way (the way you interpreted it), then it would mean Locke's beachside speech to everyone was insincere, and Desmond's premonition about Locke going to find the three wasn't all that valid.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:55:34 PM »
I think Locke had motivation, but not knowing exactly where to look. The return of Sawyer and Kate boosted one and gave hope for the other. Now they have more motivation and perhaps Sawyer and/or Kate have intel regarding the Other's location. Also, regarding Eko's stick, it wasn't the shadow...it was the inscription.  Sayid was being silly. The inscription from Genesis read "Look to the north"....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:28:52 PM by Jungle Otter »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »
Feel like a nut,

First of all Locke never said he did not have motivation. He said it is NOT about motivation, meaning motivation is not the problem. He even said so in his speech in the fall.

Locke can find north, the stick told us they were to look not how to find it.

Hurley broke the curse this week and is over that. It is a new development.

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »
Also, regarding Eko's stick, it wasn't the shadow...it was the inscription.
Locke can find north, the stick told us they were to look not how to find it.

Sorry folks, but that's not what they said.

Kate: "How?"
Sayid: "Because of the way the sunlight hit Mr. Eko's stick when John was burying him."

Nothing to do with the inscription and everything to do with the sun. It wouldn't even make sense if the inscription led them to the Others. That would imply that Mr. Eko knew where the Others are.

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
He said it is NOT about motivation

This also would not make sense. Locke said he had a compass bearing that would lead them to Jack. So, if you are correct, then Locke knew where to look and also had the motivation to go after them, and thus did not go after them. . . . That's very backwards logic.

mindsparkle

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »
Remember, all of this took place in the last week or so... Locke and Sayid just got back to camp not long before Sawyer and Kate... the losties haven't had a long time to sit and debate what the next step would be... 

As for the comment about the sunlight... it highlighted the inscription and Locke took notice, that is what Sayid was saying...

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »
Not necessarily that Eko knew where to look, but rather divine inspiration....why that particular passage out of all the passages in the bible?? "Look to the north" is rather specific...

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 03:36:45 PM »
Remember, all of this took place in the last week or so
When Michael ran off or when Clair was taken, how long did it take them to organize a rescue party? An hour? Less? And when Locke decided to save Mr. Eko, he set out almost immediately if I recall correctly. If Locke knew how to find Jack, then there's no reason he should have waited even 5 minutes.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »
Remember, all of this took place in the last week or so
When Michael ran off or when Clair was taken, how long did it take them to organize a rescue party? An hour? Less? And when Locke decided to save Mr. Eko, he set out almost immediately if I recall correctly. If Locke knew how to find Jack, then there's no reason he should have waited even 5 minutes.

You'll have to do a timeline to see how realistic it would have been, I think...

First Locke had his "communcation" with the island in that drug tent thing.
Then Locke went and rescued Ecko.
Then Hurley returned, and told Locke about Jack, Kate and Sawyer.
Then Locke gave his speech on the island about going after Jack, Kate and Sawyer.
Then Ecko was killed by the smoke monster.
Then Locke had the "divine inspiration" of where to look for Jack, Sawyer and Kate after seeing the biblical reference on Ecko's stick highlighted.
Then Desmond brought Hurley and Charlie into the forrest to tell them about Ecko being killed by "the island".
Then Sawyer and Kate returned.
Then Kate immediately went back to look for Jack.
Then Locke and Sayid went to look for Kate lol.

And don't forget, Hurley told Locke (and I'm guessing the rest) about how the Others only let him go to warn against anyone trying to find them. I'm sure that played a part in their hesitation.

mindsparkle

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 04:08:34 PM »
Nice recall of the events that took place... a lot was happening, I would only add that Locke, Desmond and Eko had just been blown to smithereens when the hatch imploded... Kate has yet to know about this... it would take me a moment or two to get my sense back after being in the middle of an imploding hatch..

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
Then Locke had the "divine inspiration" of where to look for Jack, Sawyer and Kate after seeing the biblical reference on Ecko's stick highlighted.

Then Desmond brought Hurley and Charlie into the forrest to tell them about Ecko being killed by "the island".

Between these two events was a full day. And that next day was spent with Charlie and Desmond getting drunk. So, between Locke knowing where to look for Jack and finally chasing down Kate is at least one and a half days, or two and a half at most. Like I said, it shouldn't have taken Locke even 5 minutes to set out.

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 06:01:37 AM »
Unless Locke was in an implosion and needed a day or two to regain some sense of land legs to go on a walk about....