Author Topic: Got more boats...maybe more cars??  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Got more boats...maybe more cars??
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:49:09 AM »
One of the statements that was made in the show was that Michael and Walt could not have been given the only boat that the Others had.  Even when we see them taking Jack off of the island in the last episode, we see at least two more boats--one paddle powered, and the larger cruiser.  (BTW, when Vincent first ran out with that arm...I was a little worried it might be Michael!!)

So, here's my question. (I'm so happy we actually get to discuss this again!!!) What would have been the need for a road, if there weren't more vehicles?  Or ARE more vehicles.  And what's a road used for in these parts anyway? 

We know now that the Swan base was not central, but a testing station.  Some of its inhabitants thought they were quarantined and could not go out very far...and they wouldn't have needed to go anywhere that lasted longer than 108 minutes. Do you think the road was going to be for food drops? (Er...beer drops?)   

Also, this road makes me think a little bit of the wizard of Oz's yellow brick road.  Equally strange things are happening along the way and the road will lead to HIM???  ::)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Got more boats...maybe more cars??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:25:40 PM »
Well, you would need a "road" even if you only had one vehicle, so the existence of that map doesn't necessarily mean there had to be other vehicles. But it DOES bring up the fact that now other vehicles can indeed be added into the storylines.

And the "Wizard Of Oz" connection you mentioned could turn out to be a clue...hmmm.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »
At the very least they were expecting more cars and trucks. I would think there are more than the one hippy van

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:29:29 PM »
Question: do you think the "road" map was showing where they were going to build a road, or was showing where they had already created a dirt road (that has since been overrun by foilage, grass, weeds and such)?

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:42:10 PM »
Question: do you think the "road" map was showing where they were going to build a road, or was showing where they had already created a dirt road (that has since been overrun by foilage, grass, weeds and such)?

that's what I orginally thought. That is wasn't a blue print to build a road, but a road that is now filled in/unmaintained.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »

that's what I orginally thought. That is wasn't a blue print to build a road, but a road that is now filled in/unmaintained.

If that's the case, then there's a "road" for the survivors to find...and the road probably leads to the Other's village/camp. Or to the Wizard lol.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

If that's the case, then there's a "road" for the survivors to find...and the road probably leads to the Other's village/camp. Or to the Wizard lol.
Or...to Shambala?

mindsparkle

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »
of course there were more vehicles... the orientation films showed us huge earth moving machines being lowered onto the island to build the hatches... they had to move those about some how, maintenance them and have storage for fuel, etc... and since every other modern convenience was neatly packed into the experience on the island, I think vehicles would be there, too... not too many, not a super highway, but enough to carry VIP's around to survey the progress...

Offline idjpg85

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:11:05 PM »
of course there were more vehicles... the orientation films showed us huge earth moving machines being lowered onto the island to build the hatches... they had to move those about some how, maintenance them and have storage for fuel, etc... and since every other modern convenience was neatly packed into the experience on the island, I think vehicles would be there, too... not too many, not a super highway, but enough to carry VIP's around to survey the progress...

My thoughts exactly when I first saw the map.  "They had to get supplies and such to each of the stations to build them, hence the road."

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
and since every other modern convenience was neatly packed into the experience on the island, I think vehicles would be there, too... not too many, not a super highway, but enough to carry VIP's around to survey the progress...

Maybe they look like the little buggys from Fantasy Island!

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:35:33 PM »
and since every other modern convenience was neatly packed into the experience on the island, I think vehicles would be there, too... not too many, not a super highway, but enough to carry VIP's around to survey the progress...

Maybe they look like the little buggys from Fantasy Island!
With merry pixies driving gracefully in the twilight

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 06:51:07 PM »
I think only Tatoo had the little car, the rest were normal size.

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »
maybe next week they find working GOLF carts to use on their golf course?!?!??!

Offline sjforcum

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
Fore!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 02:03:13 AM »
At the very least they were expecting more cars and trucks. I would think there are more than the one hippy van
This reminded me of TLE.  The Hanso group had made a deal with Jeep for purchasing several vehicles.  Jeep ultimately backed out of the deal presumably because of suspected unethical practices/motives of the Hanso group.