Author Topic: The Road to Shambala  (Read 7455 times)

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: The Road to Shambala
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 05:06:37 PM »
There's more to this.  Shambala was the inspiration for James Hilton's novel Lost Horizon, but he changed the name to Shangri-La.  The book was about a paradise hidden from the world where...wait for it...time stood still.

http://www.pbs.org/mythsandheroes/myths_four_shangrila.html
What I like about this is all the mythology involved with it...like Lost.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
There's more to this.  Shambala was the inspiration for James Hilton's novel Lost Horizon, but he changed the name to Shangri-La.  The book was about a paradise hidden from the world where...wait for it...time stood still.

http://www.pbs.org/mythsandheroes/myths_four_shangrila.html
What I like about this is all the mythology involved with it...like Lost.

Ditto... nice find... :P

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 07:16:30 PM »
isnt it a dance or a variation of it the Shambala-ma-ding-dong

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »
has anyone ever explored the idea of finding atlantis... there was something about atlantis and an "unexplained energy source" right.  And think about the dharma logo... not circles... but concentric rings around a middle picture. Just a thought that could be explored... and like shangri- la or shambala... it's supposed to be a perfect world

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 05:58:05 AM »
Atlantis would of had Jeeps on the island and no VW magic busses

j/k :)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
I agree about Jeeps (check my avatar!)

I believe we saw one in the DHARMA vid from the ARG, and I recall one in the outback when Rose was visiting the psychic healer quack.

A Jeep CJ or Military Jeep would be the smartest choice in the jungle locale.

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »
A few episodes back, Hurley and Charlie are rolling down a hill in an old VW bus and just before they hit a big ass rock, Hurley overcomes his curse, the van starts and he steers out of danger. Now, with that said, the song that plays throughout the whole episode is a song called "Shambala" by Three Dog Night. Shambala refers to a tradition in Tibetan folklore of beyul -- secret or hidden lands, usually described as valleys.  The tradition of the Himalayan Buddhist Elders -- the Nyingmapa -- empowered 108 of these havens, places where there was peace and prosperity, and spiritual progress was facilitated. The ultimate hidden land of immortality, reachable only by those with purified hearts and minds. The entrance lies behind a waterfall.
The technology of Shambala is highly advanced.  The windows of the palace function as powerful lenses that serve as telescopes high-powered enough for studying life on other worlds. For hundreds of years, the inhabitants have been using aircraft and subways.  This advancement is not limited to the mere material, for the inhabitants have been able to develop powers of clairvoyance, swift long-distance travel on foot, and also the ability to materialize and disappear at will. Many people try to reach Shambala, uncalled.  Some of them disappear forever. Only a few of them reach the holy place and only if their karma is ready.
<------Pyro[move]

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 09:49:19 PM »
Nice recap!  You rock!

Offline Gar O Mac

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 11:42:05 PM »
That's one of my favorite songs! when that episode aired I had 5 different people call me saying "Hey that song your always playing was on lost!"

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »
great song. BW Stevenson released it on May 12, 1973. it was on the charts for 8 weeks then fell off in July. Three Dog Night released it that week. i was also born that week. July 11. party on.
<------Pyro[move]