Author Topic: I loved it...  (Read 6828 times)

mindsparkle

I loved it...
« on: March 01, 2007, 02:28:49 AM »
and here's why...

I love Hurley and think he is so realistic... when his mother talked about having "needs" he yells "no, no, no" covered his ears and I just howled... that is just what any of us want to do when we think of our parents and sex... I loved the determination in Hurley, that he slapped Charlie and got him up and going again, Hurley's "hope" was contagious.  I loved that Hurley told his dad, sorry dude, too little too late... I loved that he recognized that Jin had no idea what he was saying, I loved that he caught on to the fake tarot reader... there was just so much of Hurley showing us all his sides, even the tender and intimate side talking at Libby's grave.  I loved that Hurley called Sawyer a "red neck dude." 

And, Sawyer, had some great lines and when people hugged him he embraced the affection and you could see how uncomfortable it made him feel, but he liked it... we just can't help but like Sawyer.

You are right that we didn't learn much about the island's mysteries... but we got back in touch with the people that we care about, one of the reasons I love this show is because I can identify with the people, share their emotions and care what happens to them...

We did find out that there was a design for road systems, vehicles were on the island, beer and people's livelihood were a real part of the island, once upon a time it was a functioning little village of sorts... what happened to it, what went wrong... what would have killed Roger, the work man, that would leave him sitting there upright in the car... it must have been immediate, he had no time to react... 

My feeling about the island intensified and the mystery seems more compelling now that I get a glimpse of the human side of the island... we've always thought of Dharma as this organization and it really hasn't been human to me.. but the bodies in the bear cave, this guy, Roger, in the van.... there were victims, something happened that was very bad, very awful and probably very frightening.

The map was just glimpsed at but it needs to be seriously looked at, perhaps later Sayid and the other more serious ones will find it useful when they plan their attack on whoville...  And, Rousseau's interest is piqued again; perhaps she'll be more forthcoming with some information... finally!! 

It was just a feel good episode, comical yet serious and to me was more about taking life in stride more often... sometimes you just can't control everything so go with the flow, find your fun and relax... Hurley is healthy... his mind set is by far healthier than anyone else's, imho... he reacts honestly, doesn't hold back and looks for the joy in life...

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: I loved it...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 03:01:04 AM »
this was a much needed episode in the long run of things i think, watching them back to back on dvd in 20 years it will show its place better. im just not patient and hate waiting 2 weeks for another episode where new stuff happens.

Offline idjpg85

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:13 AM »
Wonderfully put mindsparkle.  I feel the same exact way about this episode.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:44:33 AM »
and here's why...

I love Hurley and think he is so realistic... when his mother talked about having "needs" he yells "no, no, no" covered his ears and I just howled... that is just what any of us want to do when we think of our parents and sex... I loved the determination in Hurley, that he slapped Charlie and got him up and going again, Hurley's "hope" was contagious.  I loved that Hurley told his dad, sorry dude, too little too late... I loved that he recognized that Jin had no idea what he was saying, I loved that he caught on to the fake tarot reader... there was just so much of Hurley showing us all his sides, even the tender and intimate side talking at Libby's grave.  I loved that Hurley called Sawyer a "red neck dude."  "Red Neck man" LOL and Sawyers cute face when he said "Touche"!  I couldnl't agree with you more about the portrayal of Hurley.  This is why he is so popular among the fans.  He is a real person.

And, Sawyer, had some great lines and when people hugged him he embraced the affection and you could see how uncomfortable it made him feel, but he liked it... we just can't help but like Sawyer.He's my boy!!!  I thought it ironic that he taught Jin three things to say to a lady "I'm sorry", "You're right" and "You don't look fat in those pants" yet he couldn't say it to Kate.  Hence, admitting that he couldn't keep a lady happy.  Can you spell PRIDE?  Also, the whole Hurley hugging him moment was classic...he wanted to be mad and badass, but was just happy that they were so happy to see him.  Male bonding is so wierd!!  LOL

You are right that we didn't learn much about the island's mysteries... but we got back in touch with the people that we care about, one of the reasons I love this show is because I can identify with the people, share their emotions and care what happens to them... I said this in the rate the episode thread and I'll say it again.  It had the charm and chemistry that made me love the show in the first place.  It felt like a S1 epi because of that.

We did find out that there was a design for road systems, vehicles were on the island, beer and people's livelihood were a real part of the island, once upon a time it was a functioning little village of sorts... what happened to it, what went wrong... what would have killed Roger, the work man, that would leave him sitting there upright in the car... it must have been immediate, he had no time to react...  Maybe he drank too much  :P  Seriously, something scary for sure.

My feeling about the island intensified and the mystery seems more compelling now that I get a glimpse of the human side of the island... we've always thought of Dharma as this organization and it really hasn't been human to me.. but the bodies in the bear cave, this guy, Roger, in the van.... there were victims, something happened that was very bad, very awful and probably very frightening.

The map was just glimpsed at but it needs to be seriously looked at, perhaps later Sayid and the other more serious ones will find it useful when they plan their attack on whoville...  And, Rousseau's interest is piqued again; perhaps she'll be more forthcoming with some information... finally!!  You know we will see more of that map and like Sawyer said, it looks like they were trying to make roads...did he say this because of the work him and Kate had to do for the Others?  And YAY Rousseau is back!

It was just a feel good episode, comical yet serious and to me was more about taking life in stride more often... sometimes you just can't control everything so go with the flow, find your fun and relax... Hurley is healthy... his mind set is by far healthier than anyone else's, imho... he reacts honestly, doesn't hold back and looks for the joy in life...

Has anyone discussed the seven deadly sins?  I can think of a few that fit the bill, was wondering if the 7 major characters fit the bill... I'm pretty sure someone must of talked about this.

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
and don't forget that Hurley's curse is now broken, and Charlie isn't going to die anymore...

Maybe not, but at least they have some confidence back.

kelvinlives

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:04:48 AM »
Desmond said, "No matter what I do, you are going to die"

Well we all are going to die sometime. Also that just means that Desmond can't change it.
Maybe Charlie can?

I think Hugo's dad was correct, there was no curse. He lost hope and was letting the negativity influence his actions.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »
Well put, arkle.  I agree whole heartedly.

My thoughts in the "Watch and talk" thread were that everyone was so happy at the end and they each got something nice that they wanted...surely in the next episode a bunch of people will die.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 12:58:02 PM »
Agreed 100% mindsparkle. I loved the episode. Every point you made was dead on. I liked that Sawyer came to yell at Hurley, but when Hurley was so happy to see him and gave him the big hug, Sawyer lost his anger.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »
very well put mindsparkle, i agree with you 100%!

Offline General Zod

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »
Agreed 100% mindsparkle. I loved the episode. Every point you made was dead on. I liked that Sawyer came to yell at Hurley, but when Hurley was so happy to see him and gave him the big hug, Sawyer lost his anger.

I thought that was great, too. 

I loved the Skeletor reference...I laughed hard...He-Man.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 02:44:51 PM »
Great points, Mindsparkle. Completely agree.

Offline debbie

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »
mindsparkle, you are so right,I totaly agree with you :)

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 01:49:39 PM »
I loved this episode - I've been waiting for another Hurley episode for ages and Sawyer was on top form again too - I could live without the slo-mo cheesy music bits that Lost has had at the end of the last few shows but can't have everything can you ;D

mindsparkle

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »
I noticed that too, wishbone... what's up with the pregnant pauses and sad music... it feels like a filler and a waste of time... I'm not crazy about those parts either... did they do this last year or is this a new trick for season 3?

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »
It's been done a few times but very sporadically - seems to be more regular this season