Author Topic: Other Others debunked?  (Read 6615 times)

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Other Others debunked?
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
It has seemed to be a consensus that there was another group of "Others" on the island.  Has that been laid to rest now that we know Ben's group took Cindy and the children?   If so, how to explain the kidnappings and attacks on the Tailies the first night on the island?  Why would Ben send Goodwin to infiltrate and then send another group the same day to attack them?

mindsparkle

Re: Other Others debunked?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:50:12 AM »
In my mind it is resolved -- there is only one group of others

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »
Yes, and that may explain why Tom looked shocked and surprised when Jack confronted him about the kidkanpping

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »
...how to explain the kidnappings and attacks on the Tailies the first night on the island?

Easy, the Tailies crashed very close to Otherville.

Why would Ben send Goodwin to infiltrate and then send another group the same day to attack them?

Not so easy, maybe Ben & Others were already waiting and had a plan ready to go?

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:46:56 PM »
Actually, as much as I want to disagree with the Parallel Universe explanation of island events, the way this scene played out seems to agree with that explanation. Recall that the transcripts of the unseen whispers back on the main island suggest that the whisperers were actually observing the events, or "watching", as the case may be. This is exactly what Cindy said they were there to do.

More important, though, is the sense I got that these people had nothing to do with the Others who were there under Ben's control. They kind of showed up out of nowhere, in different clothes than the others seem to wear, and when Jack asked why she was there with "them", she turned to the people in her group, clearly not identifying with Ben's Others. And we most certainly do NOT know that Bens' group kidnapped them. If anything, the girl's question about Ana Lucia suggests that they are clearly not involved with the Bennies--news about Ana's death would surely have circulated by now, at least to Cindy.

So they're not part of Ben's Others. Perhaps observing from a parallel dimension? Who knows. But I'm 100% certain the answer is more complex than, "They're just some more Others who showed up on Alacatraz to watch a trial".

J

Offline Kosmetas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
It was a trail of sorts and trails need juries, which then again you need to find impartial people.  Carl stated that they took the kids and some of the losties (including those from the tail section) to give them a better life.  No hocus pocus here, the others took them.  Incorporated them into to the system and now needed them to help with the verdict (stated by Alex).

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
In my mind it is resolved -- there is only one group of others
i agree mindsparkle.  (not counting danielle) unless they introduce and ENTIRE different set of people to us.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »
Was Kelvin a part of Ben's Others?  I think they are seperate from Dharma, but everyone left on the island appears to be in the same group.  Dharma is still in existence somewhere/somehow, but appears not to know what is happening on the island (they still drop food at least). 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
What evidence do we have at this time of other others.
I think we have

1) 815 survivors
2) Ben's others
3) Danielle
4) Old school dharma leftovers, Kelvin(dead) and McPatchy

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
What evidence do we have at this time of other others.
I think we have

1) 815 survivors
2) Ben's others
3) Danielle
4) Old school dharma leftovers, Kelvin(dead) and McPatchy
i agree that there is more than on GROUP, just not more than one group of others (does that even make sense?) associated with ben.  i don't think there is a branch off from them. 

1.  815 survivors
2.  Ben's Others
3.  Danielle

If we see Kelvin is alive and find out about McPatchy I think we will learn that they are part of Ben's group.  Desmond didn't know he was part of Ben's group because he was a "recruit" by Kelvin, and Kelvin just never told him.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »
Ben and the Others still don't know about Desmond, correct? (this is assumed because none of the Others knew about Desmond's boat, with Ben seeming to be hugely shocked that it existed at all).

Offline gettinglost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
This show is really starting to get to me, it's starting to get so involved and facts intertwined that it doesn't even make sense when you think about some things.

My view on this: what about earlier (season 1? maybe 2) where numerous times the losties have to hide from the others who walk past them, some of them obviously kids (one was carrying the teddy bear)?  They were eerie seems and were afraid for some reason and that group that Jack saw outside his cage definitely didn't seem too scary.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 06:47:43 PM »
My understanding on the "other Others" that was suggested was just that the other "faction" always just refered to the rebellious Others, of which we know include Juliet, Alex and Karl at least.  So if we know about them, there are probably others in hiding, too.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
This show is really starting to get to me, it's starting to get so involved and facts intertwined that it doesn't even make sense when you think about some things.

My view on this: what about earlier (season 1? maybe 2) where numerous times the losties have to hide from the others who walk past them, some of them obviously kids (one was carrying the teddy bear)?  They were eerie seems and were afraid for some reason and that group that Jack saw outside his cage definitely didn't seem too scary.  Anyone have any ideas on this?

The ones outside the cage were many of the people taken, Not original others. So they would not be that intimidating.

Offline spaghettios

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
i still think there are other others.  tom's face was too strange when jack called him out on the "other's" activities on the main island, and he didn't take ownership of them either. so who is to say that ben's others are really the only ones?