Author Topic: "See this glass house you're living in"  (Read 5840 times)

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
"See this glass house you're living in"
« on: February 22, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »
I thought this was another strange comment by Tom.  He also seemed stunned that Jack thought they were the kind of people that would kill him.  From Jack's point of view:

- tortured and kept Kate and Sawyer captive (beat up at least)
- Ethan hangs Charlie and tries to steal Claire's baby
- kidnaps Walt as well as 9 people from tail section
- attempts to shoot and kill Jin, Sawyer and Michael

There are a lot more but these are the most obvious.  What kind of things could Jack have done to compare to this (the glass house comment)?  Do they blame him for Ethan's death?  Something from his past?   ???

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "See this glass house you're living in"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »
Maybe his point was that the Losties also killed and kidnapped, although everyone can agree that they had little choice, unlike the Others.

mindsparkle

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
The losties have done as much "harm" for lack of a better word as the others, the difference being the losties were forced into the situation and are surviving in a strange place -- the others are at home on the island and could have acted with open arms and support to the losties, they had the upper hand and choose to initiate contact with lies, abductions -- actions that can't be interpreted in any other manner but hostile.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:26:09 PM »
I thought this was another strange comment by Tom.  He also seemed stunned that Jack thought they were the kind of people that would kill him.  From Jack's point of view:

- tortured and kept Kate and Sawyer captive (beat up at least)
- Ethan hangs Charlie and tries to steal Claire's baby
- kidnaps Walt as well as 9 people from tail section
- attempts to shoot and kill Jin, Sawyer and Michael

can add

Killed steve(or was it scott)
Killed the canadian

There are a lot more but these are the most obvious.  What kind of things could Jack have done to compare to this (the glass house comment)?  Do they blame him for Ethan's death?  Something from his past?   ???

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 12:08:43 AM »
What did Tom say directly after that? I can't remember for the life of me...

But anyways, the only thought that went through my head at that point was "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" which pretty much means that we shouldn’t complain about others if we are as bad as they are. Is Tom trying to say that the Losties are just as guilty as the Others? Well - they murdered Ethan and Goodwin, Colleen, tortured their fricken leader! So in the Others eyes, the Losties have certainly done their share of bad...

Offline idjpg85

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 02:37:54 AM »
What did Tom say directly after that? I can't remember for the life of me...

But anyways, the only thought that went through my head at that point was "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" which pretty much means that we shouldn’t complain about others if we are as bad as they are. Is Tom trying to say that the Losties are just as guilty as the Others? Well - they murdered Ethan and Goodwin, Colleen, tortured their fricken leader! So in the Others eyes, the Losties have certainly done their share of bad...

Tom:  "...see this glass house you're living in, Jack? How about I get you some stones."

On a side note, one thing I noticed that I though was a funny goof (I'm assuming I'm correct here).  During that scene you can see one of the ?guards? standing outside the OPEN doorway and then right after Tom says the above you hear the door ?opening? and the ?guards? enter.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »
On a side note, one thing I noticed that I though was a funny goof (I'm assuming I'm correct here).  During that scene you can see one of the guards standing outside the OPEN doorway and then right after Tom says the above you hear the door opening and the guards enter.

I noticed that, too lol!! I thought "wtf is he opening the door for? He was standing IN the door just a few seconds ago!"

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:39:12 PM »
I think the losties have done their fair share of damage, especially when they kidnapped Ben - they could certainly argue self defence though

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 09:50:51 PM »
Losties are not innocent and have made some very bad choices. I just blame the others since they could of helped them, instead the attacked the others

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
Right.  They used their advantage for evil, & victimized the Losties from the start.  It's all relative.

mindsparkle

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »
I'm adding this from another thread, yes a thread started by me, but anyway I just tried to tally all that the losties and the others had done... I totally think the losties were at a disadvantage because they fell into the situation, the others had a choice as to how they would address the losties... they are still the bad guys, imho...

Other's infiltrate the losties camp

Losties have issues about stuff... who's is it and who's entitled to it?

Other's kidnap Claire and hang Charlie

Losties torture Sawyer and kill the marshall a couple times to put him out of his misery

Other's inject Claire with something and drug her

Losties handcuff Jin for fighting with Michael, Sun drugs water to stop Jin from leaving and Michael drinks it

Other's threaten Charlie and kill Steve/Scott

Losties (Ana) kills Goodwin and threatens everyone in her own group

Other's (Goodwin) kills Nathan

Losties kill Ethan

Other's take people 9+

Losties (Eko and Ana) kill 3 others with rocks

Other's take Walt and blow up boat leaving losties stranded at sea

Losties/tailies beat and drag losties through jungle and put them in a pit

Other's take more people

Losties torture other that they capture

Other's threaten losties to stay away

Losties (Ana) kills Shannon even if an accident and then ties Sayid up

Losties (Michael) kills two losties and let's other escape blaming murders on the other

Other's take Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and Jack captive

Losties have fights about guns and draw guns on one another

Other's let Michael and his son go with small boat

Other's torture Sawyer and Kate

Other's try to manipulate/brainwash Jack especially and Kate and Sawyer

Losties kill other on sail boat

I've probably forgotten some and they aren't in any particular order....

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
thanks for adding this list to this thread, mindsparkle.  I had read it before, but it was good to be reminded.  :)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 08:55:51 AM »
Don't forget they conspired to have Michael murder his own people and lie about it and they used his son to manipulate him.  It will be a mistake if the show tries to make the Others look sympathetic.  There better at least be a second group of evil Others who are more mysterious than a group living in a suburban community on an island so that I can at least look forward to at least some interesting explanations for all of the creepy phenomenon that happens on the island.

mindsparkle

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »
Nicely said... you betcha that can't be forgotten...  the others had all the opportunity and could have started the whole thing off with a simple, "are you okay, welcome to our island, let me help you."

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »
I prefer the mixed metaphore version "He who is without sin should not live in a glass house".