Author Topic: Achara & Her Gift  (Read 5366 times)

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Achara & Her Gift
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:40:14 AM »
The introduction of Achara's character this episode was very intriguing to me, not because she was the reason for Jacks tats, but because she described herself as someone that "reads" people and "marks" them with consequence. She herself even proclaimed that the tattoos were not merely decorations but descriptions of the people themselves - something along the lines of her gift being able to tell other people "who they really are" or whatever.

Why was it so important for her to keep her "gift" a secret to Jack and why did she agree to the tattooing ritual if she knew what she was doing was wrong?

And how does this new addition of flashback characters relate to Lost, seeing as she is another person on the show with a so-called "power"?

Also, the name ACHARA deals a lot with Dharma (http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Achara)

Bai Ling lovers post away... C'mon she did look pretty hot, I mean in good shape... ;)

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Achara & Her Gift
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:43:46 AM »
she has the same hanso job as libby only she works out of asia.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:44:50 AM »
Were there consequences with everyone, or was it just Jack since he was an outsider?

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:50:29 AM »
Were there consequences with everyone, or was it just Jack since he was an outsider?

they really didnt explain that part of the backstory or any of it really. this flashback was garbage but i really liked the on island stuff.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:07:09 AM »
The consequences line was interesting.  Was getting beaten up the extent of the consequence? Or did this marking act somehow have a role with him being destined to be on Flight 815, and that was the real consequence? The connection of the Others "marking" Juliet one scene after talking about marking in the flashback makes you wonder if there is some sort of connection there. 

Probably just reaching with that...but who knows.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:25:26 AM »
The consequences line was interesting.  Was getting beaten up the extent of the consequence? Or did this marking act somehow have a role with him being destined to be on Flight 815, and that was the real consequence? The connection of the Others "marking" Juliet one scene after talking about marking in the flashback makes you wonder if there is some sort of connection there. 

Probably just reaching with that...but who knows.

Hey nicole...

Not a reach at all.. I believe that Jack's tats and Juliet's marks serves as a sort of parallel...

Anyway, I remember Achara telling Jack that "it was against the rules of her people" to read then tattoo him, so I'm still wondering why she did it anyway and what are the true extent and importance of her "powers" with regards to the show...

I don't really care what the tats mean... Jack doesn't... :D

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »
He said the opposite I thought...I know what they say,  they mean something else....or something like that....

mindsparkle

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 02:35:41 AM »
I think the consequences are long lasting and something that Jack will have to live with the rest of his life just as you do a tattoo... getting beat up was just the farewell party for Jack... I like the idea of a parallel between Jack and Juliet as both have been branded for something that is to represent who they are... it's all rather archaic in my mind but perhaps, it will have more significance later in the show. 

On a side note, the show, imho, is really pushing the whole idea of destiny and fate and what role we play in our own paths... I think showing this woman that could see into Jack's soul and brand him is meaning full perhaps only as much as it relates to his destiny.. 

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
I think the consequences are long lasting and something that Jack will have to live with the rest of his life just as you do a tattoo... getting beat up was just the farewell party for Jack... I like the idea of a parallel between Jack and Juliet as both have been branded for something that is to represent who they are... it's all rather archaic in my mind but perhaps, it will have more significance later in the show. 

On a side note, the show, imho, is really pushing the whole idea of destiny and fate and what role we play in our own paths... I think showing this woman that could see into Jack's soul and brand him is meaning full perhaps only as much as it relates to his destiny.. 

Very insightful post, like always MS... I like the part about how the consequences like the tattoo itself will be with him always and this actually has some significance with the religious reference to the whole "Mark of Cain" thing...

And it seems to me that Achara, like the shopkeep in the previous episode, seem to be guides for our Losties and help get them on their "path"... There's Achara, Isaac of Uluru, the old lady shopkeeper, the girl that supposedly drowned but lived, etc... Just an interesting observation/theory...

mindsparkle

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
I totally agree, Piglet, and I wonder though... are these characters any different than characters in our own lives... I'm sure all of us could credit people we've met that have influenced the choices we've made... so is this a human condition or something more specific to the whole mythos of lost in particular

I'm getting this weird sensation that I'm being preached to by the writers... that this is a life lesson for the viewers... weird, can't explain it but I feel manipulated, as if propaganda is being shoved down my throat... I may just need sleep? LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
she has the same hanso job as libby only she works out of asia.

You said "hanso job"...huh huh :P

Offline jessieh

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »
I was wondering if part of the consequences were perhaps that Achara and her family may have been banished from their island.  In the last scene after beating up Jack, did it not look as though they were all headed for the boat on the beach, in much the same way as the others were headed for their boat at the end of the show, banished from their island as well.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
And what of the significance of her giving the DHARMA "secret handshake" to all of her shadowy cohorts?!?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
I did not pick up on her saying Namasat in this episode. That is a connection. I like the idea that she is a recruiter for Dharma, I also think that is what Libby was.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »

Nice Post MS!  I think it was just foundational to show us what connects Juliet and Jack.  These two will be a team for sure and possibly lovers.

And yes, she did say Namestat.  Dharma is everywhere.