Author Topic: Has Lost been renewed for next season?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Has Lost been renewed for next season?
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:22:18 AM »
I think TPTB are killing this show, slowly and painfully. Absolutely hated this episode. I'll be back, but for the masses who don't follow the boards I see them giving up. I could see my folks scratching their heads about the purpose of this episode. We were told to expect three answers. Before the episode, I figured they would be:

1) What do Jack's tattoos mean?
2) Why did the Others kidnap the children?
3) What is their "master plan"?

For question 1 - who cares.
For question 2 - "To give them a better life" ???
For question 3 - ??? "We're here to watch" Who is We? Is Cindy an Other or not?

Did I miss something?

We are 10 episodes into Season 3. The Others are leaving the small island, so most likely we'll never get answers to the questions raised there.

The timeline this season seems very fractured. When did Jack's flashback take place - before marriage or after? He only got a partial tattoo. What about the rest of it? Did the Desmond flashback episode take place before or after Kate and Sawyer escaped, since they left before the episode and their story seemed to pick up at the same point after the episode?

There are too many questions out there and nothing is being answered definitively. Walt was kidnapped at the end of Season 1 and we still don't really know why. Cindy disappeared in the middle of Season 2 and we don't know if she is an Other. Where did they have the kids and the other kidnapped folks stashed on that little island, and why have them show up now? Just because they were leaving?

I've started to hear about shows getting picked up for the fall. If the rating keep slipping, why should ABC bring this one back? Soon we might hear that it's moving to a different day, trying to blame the ratings drop on the time switch.

Oh yeah, and here are some new questions based on the info given during this episode:

1) If Ethan is a great surgeon and you need back surgery, why send him to the front lines with the lostees?
2) If Ben is all-powerful, why was did he put himself in harms way by either allowing himself to be captured to infiltrate the camp OR walk alone and get trapped in the net?
3) If Ben needed surgery, why go through everything they've gone through when they could have just brought Jack a grilled cheese with toothpicks in it?

Maybe next week we'll find out the deal with the 4-toed statue...

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Has Lost been renewed for next season?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:29:47 AM »
I have a feeling this is going to be like every Steven King book I ever read, a great story with a "that's it?" or a "what?" ending.

But they say it's all about the journey and not the destination...or something like that

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »
I think every movie I've ever sen has a "thats it?!?!" ending lol...at least lately

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »
I too agree that this episode was a bit lackluster. As the episode drew to a close, i found myself checking the time and asking, "it's over already?" There were no major revelations, so at the end i was expecting a big twist. But nothing happened.

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:41:24 AM »
stephen king does have great stories that end badly. but he did write the novella from which the shawshank redemption was made. that was probably his best ending, if that was even the way it ended in the book.

i dont see how anyone can follow this series. i mean i can, but i am obsessed and have seen the first two seasons 2-3 times some episodes more some less. and i follow along on the internet like on here. and the arg's. and watch the interviews on youtube. etc. and i even still get confused.

great show and i like that they make it confusing and mysterious. i wouldnt want them to change it. but they are probably going to have to because it requires more dedication than most people will give for a tv show.

besides, low ratings for lost are still higher than the other garbage they have.

Offline Creampop

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:48 AM »
Oh yeah, and here are some new questions based on the info given during this episode:

1) If Ethan is a great surgeon and you need back surgery, why send him to the front lines with the lostees?
2) If Ben is all-powerful, why was did he put himself in harms way by either allowing himself to be captured to infiltrate the camp OR walk alone and get trapped in the net?
3) If Ben needed surgery, why go through everything they've gone through when they could have just brought Jack a grilled cheese with toothpicks in it?

I just wanted to comment on this part of your post, when Ben sent Goodwin and Ethan into harms way I don't believe he knew he had a tumor, in epi 6 
"I Do" we heard Juliet tell Jack that the x-rays were a week old, so we know that they had been on the Island longer then a week. therefore he didn't know he needed surgrey or had a tumor for that fact. as for putting himself in harms way I believe he figured he was gonna die anyway so if you want someone to do a job you better do it yourself... and he did do it he got done what he needed.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10:43 AM »

I just wanted to comment on this part of your post, when Ben sent Goodwin and Ethan into harms way I don't believe he knew he had a tumor, in epi 6 
"I Do" we heard Juliet tell Jack that the x-rays were a week old, so we know that they had been on the Island longer then a week. therefore he didn't know he needed surgrey or had a tumor for that fact. as for putting himself in harms way I believe he figured he was gonna die anyway so if you want someone to do a job you better do it yourself... and he did do it he got done what he needed.
An interesting point too, they were sent to evaluate more...and I don't think there are many plane crashes where you would fear being killed by the survivors...I don't think they thought that type of hostility would be there.

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 09:45:59 AM »
I think TPTB are killing this show, slowly and painfully. Absolutely hated this episode. I'll be back, but for the masses who don't follow the boards I see them giving up. I could see my folks scratching their heads about the purpose of this episode. We were told to expect three answers. Before the episode, I figured they would be:

1) What do Jack's tattoos mean?
2) Why did the Others kidnap the children?
3) What is their "master plan"?

For question 1 - who cares.
For question 2 - "To give them a better life" ???
For question 3 - ??? "We're here to watch" Who is We? Is Cindy an Other or not?

Did I miss something?

We are 10 episodes into Season 3. The Others are leaving the small island, so most likely we'll never get answers to the questions raised there.

The timeline this season seems very fractured. When did Jack's flashback take place - before marriage or after? He only got a partial tattoo. What about the rest of it? Did the Desmond flashback episode take place before or after Kate and Sawyer escaped, since they left before the episode and their story seemed to pick up at the same point after the episode?

There are too many questions out there and nothing is being answered definitively. Walt was kidnapped at the end of Season 1 and we still don't really know why. Cindy disappeared in the middle of Season 2 and we don't know if she is an Other. Where did they have the kids and the other kidnapped folks stashed on that little island, and why have them show up now? Just because they were leaving?

I've started to hear about shows getting picked up for the fall. If the rating keep slipping, why should ABC bring this one back? Soon we might hear that it's moving to a different day, trying to blame the ratings drop on the time switch.

EXCELLENT POST Michiganfan!  You captured my exact thoughts on this episode and how things are going.  I remember the good old days when on the next day you couldnt wait to talk to your friends about the show and say "OMG did you see LOST last night!  There was  an invisible map on the wall!!!!"  I havent had that since the map and now IT IMPLODED SO WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57:30 AM »
But all of the hostility was instigated by them kidnapping Claire and Walt. Had Ethan dropped in and played a little golf instead of kidnapping Claire, hanging Charlie, killing Scott/Steve, etc. They would probably still be on the beach waiting for rescue. There seem to be direct conflicts in their motives that haven't changed based on the circumstances. It seems like priority #1 would be to fix Ben. If he finds out he had a tumor at that point (a week ago), why not stop the "torture and kidnap" project and offer relief to all of Jack's friends in exchange for the surgery? If he knew about the tumor before the crash, and, looking back to the episode 3.1 when they know all about Jack's past, they should know how to sway him to perform the surgery. I'm still most interesting in seeing how they resolve those two conflicts. These have both been discussed here before, but 10 episodes in and we're no closer to figuring what seems to be a major conflict in motives. Maybe there will be an AH HA moment, but if the masses have left, what's the point? If Ben is not the top priority (i.e. Jack's dad strolls out and says "Son, it was all a test of your manhood"), that might explain it, but that's a bit far-fetched.

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »

He told Jack that he found out he had the tumor and a day later a surgeon fell out of the sky.  Not an exact quote but I believe he found out he had the tumor right before they crashed.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »

1)  Ethan may not know spinal surgery, but I bet he knows how to triage.  This type of person is great in an emergency situation and would ingratiate himself to the survivors...much like Jack.

2)  Ben is strong with the force.  He is probably the best trained operative.  I speculate that he can whisper to himself from the future and influence his past self with the benefit of advance knowledge.

3)  I imagine that Ben's personal needs are less important to The Others than the overall mission which involves "rescuing" the children and kidnapping all the good people from Jacob's list.

Offline crf85306

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:28:16 PM »
I'm with you, but if this show was NOT renewed and left things the way they are it would be the biggest disaster in television history.

Also we will learn more about the other's research island because on the preview it shows them going to rescue Jack...but of course they don't know he in on the big island now and will go back to the research island.

Offline deadpolarbear

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
Im starting to worry for this show.. Id really hate for it to end so soon.. where as the writers have previously said they have plotlines that could go on for years..

I was very dissapointed with the last 2 episodes, they really don't seem to be getting anywhere. Season 2 was amazing I thought, meeting desmond, the mysterious button, uncovering the hatches.. the others twist.. but right now its too focused on that small island, jumping back and forth between here and the main camp, which kind of confuses me with the timeline (I guess the winter hiatus didnt help either).

they really need to start building a very intense plot with plenty of action/adventure, which isn't too focused on back stories or previous mystery's so it can be enjoyed by newbies aswell as the diehard followers for this to get the ratings.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 01:46:00 PM by deadpolarbear »