Author Topic: No Brady Bunch on the island?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
No Brady Bunch on the island?
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:03:42 AM »
How will the children ever learn how to escape from a ghosttown jail or avoid surfing with evil tiki necklasses :P?

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: No Brady Bunch on the island?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:09:09 AM »
no dharma brand pork chops or apple sauce?

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 01:12:35 AM »
Thats it! He was in trouble for playing ball in the house!

mindsparkle

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 04:22:11 AM »
I thought it was very telling that they don't watch tv -- yet they used the Red Sox game as part of manipulating Jack... so they just randomly tape/record some stuff???? 

Well, and Carl's age... remember the Brady's were for us 40+ crowd... I'm surprised Sawyer used a Brady reference... maybe he watches tvland... isn't he suppose to be in his 30's... even he's a bit young for a Brady reference

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:06:22 AM »
I dont know what Sawyers age is suppposed to be on the show, but I know he is really close to his 40's in real life.

Offline Kurtis

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 11:01:30 AM »
Age is pretty much irrelevant to whether you are familiar with the Brady Bunch. I'm 34 and I watched every episode (in syndication) in the 70's, and my wife also knows all the episodes and she's only 28. I wish this wasn't true but it is.

mindsparkle

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »
Most teenagers today don't know about Brady bunch... that's all I meant to say... and soon Brady bunch will be as forgotten (not really it's pretty much become an American icon) as Father Knows Best... for those of us that really want to show their age...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
i'm 31 and know all of the brady bunch epis.  i think that was just sawyer's reference.  sort of like calling alex sheena. 

Offline JF

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
Yes, or every other line Sawyer makes. He's the in-joke for all us Gen-Xers in the audience. The funniest line in all of Lost? "Well, you're the one who fell for the old wookiee-prisoner gag!"

J

Offline Kosmetas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 01:54:33 PM »
The funniest line in all of Lost? "Well, you're the one who fell for the old wookiee-prisoner gag!"
100% agree

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:59:18 PM »
i'm 31 and know all of the brady bunch epis.  i think that was just sawyer's reference.  sort of like calling alex sheena. 
Same here on all fronts.  Even my daughter knows the Brady Bunch.  Just shows the kids only entertainment is the brainwashing room ;)

Offline DmHuArRpMhA

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 02:58:37 PM »
I thought it was very telling that they don't watch tv -- yet they used the Red Sox game as part of manipulating Jack... so they just randomly tape/record some stuff???? 

Well, and Carl's age... remember the Brady's were for us 40+ crowd... I'm surprised Sawyer used a Brady reference... maybe he watches tvland... isn't he suppose to be in his 30's... even he's a bit young for a Brady reference

I think it shows that only certain people have access to all the info... There's obviusly a hierarchy within the Others. Carl was obviously on the outs so no Brady Bunch for him  ;D and I'd say he probably doesn't know all the details of Jack's past like Ben does.

Although I'm wondering what the deal was with the people watching Jack in the cage? It seems like maybe they watch the hatch cameras instead of the Brady Bunch or baseball games. I mean there's been a couple of times that the Others have asked about how so-and-so lostie is doing. So maybe that's what they're doing in their free time besides the book-clubs  :)

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 07:01:26 PM »
My first thought when he called him Bobby was Bobby Ewing from Dallas. Oh well.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 02:02:37 AM »
it seemed consistent with the cult-ish behavior that we've seen thus far.  They are only allowing the children to be exposed to certain types of entertainment (if any)-  starving them from the rest of society, so they can feed them only doctrine that supports their way of thinking.

Offline lostatsea

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:21 AM »
We know at least they do have TVs since Karl was in a brainwashing TV room....