Author Topic: Boat  (Read 6726 times)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Boat
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:34:58 AM »
So the others had another Fancy boat like the one they gave Micheal (or was it even bigger?)

It did not seem so big that is had to be docked off shore. Wonder why they had to take the row boat to it?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Boat
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:38:25 AM »
i thought the same thing.  and don't you think that if they needed a dock they would have built one

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:39:52 AM »
Did I see Alex on the top deck of "the sub"? It looked that way.

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:40:22 AM »
yea that thing was pretty far offshore. but then again, they were getting picked up on the small island which isnt where they live so maybe they are getting around to making a dock (they are building stuff after all)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:25 AM »
yea that thing was pretty far offshore. but then again, they were getting picked up on the small island which isnt where they live so maybe they are getting around to making a dock (they are building stuff after all)

Then they should have had Kate and Sawyer building a doc instead of breaking rocks   :D

Offline madmax22e

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:46:34 AM »
that thing was so far out it looked like once they rowed out to it they would already be on the other island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:18 AM »
It was weird. It should of been able to get closer. Only 2 miles to the island. It looked much bigger than Michaels boat.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:13:56 AM »
It did look bigger but it looked exactly the same design.  I think it was supposed to be portrayed as the same boat.  Telling us that Walt and Michael will show up soon.

I read the credits every day waiting for it to say Malcolm david Kelley at the bottom of the screen.

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »
Was that supposed to be Desmond's sailboat that they took? It looked like the boat they gave Michael though, only bigger.

mindsparkle

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:54:42 AM »
I thought it was definitely a bigger boat... who knows what kind of marina these people have...

it did look old though, as does everything they have... except of course inside their little "whoville" where everything is very up to date... I don't understand, they must have a limited budget for their sea worthy vessels... and medical equipment... the things you would think would be new since they depend on them so much...

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 07:13:58 AM »
well a boat kept on the water doesnt take long to look lilke crap, especially if it's used frequently...looks too may part of the illusion

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:54:43 AM »
the boat really bothers me.

1.  why docked so far out?  I mean if you're going to row a mile out to get to it, why don't you just row the other mile to the island?
only explanation i can come up with:  it's 2 miles to the island, but they have to go AROUND the island to the other side to get where they are going.

2.  did they put EVERYONE on that boat?  (cindy/kids/others)  if so then it is HUGE AND they would have had to make more than one "rowboat" trip.

3.  if only ben/juliet/elite others went, what are the others and the kids going to do? 

4.  what's the big deal about leaving?  do they just not want jack/kate/sawyer to come back?  why can't they stay?

anyway.  i'm sort of confused.

mindsparkle

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 11:57:28 AM »
I thought they were leaving because Ben needed a better place to recuperate where he can get rest and medical attention...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »
They said they had to leave  because the losties knew where they were. They do not know were the village is.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 01:32:01 PM »
I got the sense that they were leaving because the Losties now knew where that island was and who/what was on it.

The boat was pretty big. Maybe it's a research vessel. The most frequent reason to row out to a boat is because the boat may run aground if attempting to dock or if there is no dock (the losties had to row out to Desmond's sailboat after all).

Apparently Otherville (whoville, suburbia, whatever) is located a relatively short distance from both the main island and the smaller research island associated with the Hydra station. Remember Candel/Whitman's words from the orientation tape "Take the Pala Fairy back after your shift" (I think this was the Pearl Station video). This means a couple of things:

1. Otherville is close (assuming the Pearl Station folks and others were once living in the same place, which I believe to be a safe assumption at this point)

2. Since the Pala dock has not been used in a long time (Sayid's comments from episode 3x01) the Dharma folks are either long gone, or the Others include Dharma leftovers.

3. Each station existed in isolation with the only exception being the Pearl.

I'm looking forward to the Patchy meeting. Some of this will get cleared up then methinks.