Author Topic: Juliet's Mark  (Read 13725 times)

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Juliet's Mark
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 01:58:39 AM »
From Lostpedia:

Juliet's Mark could be a reference to the Mark of Cain, from the story of Cain and Abel. Genesis 4:15 - "And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him."

This is actually exactly what I was going to say. I studied Theology pretty extensively and that is the reason why traditionally christians never got tattoo's, and why during the early 20th century bikers were so feared. To mark your body was a grievous sin.

This has to be partly the reason why she was marked, and in my opinion the mark she received was definitely a brand, and that had to hurt! ouch!

mindsparkle

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 03:36:31 AM »
I know I did, it's as if with the mark you will suffer the consequences of your act for the rest of your life... death may have been merciful depending on how she will be treated... maybe they will throw her to the smoke monster as a sacrificial offering... who knows...

Offline iban

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2007, 03:44:22 AM »
In the Bible (Genesis 4), Cain kills Abel (Juliet killed Dani) and God marked Cain so nobody would take vengeance on him and kill him.

mindsparkle

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2007, 03:48:39 AM »
hmmm, maybe the mark is a mark of protection... interesting

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2007, 08:09:58 AM »
The thing I noticed was how crappy Juliet looked while giving Jack his sandwich.  Looked like she was sick or something, or maybe it was just from the pain of getting marked or the stress of the situation.

Offline sjforcum

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
It means "the Artist formerly known as an other"...

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »
Maybe the "island" takes those who kill another and the mark is to protect her from the "forces" of the island.

(So when smokey comes looking it will see the mark and think "OH OK not her she has the mark")

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »

I get this weird feeling I have seen the symbol in some skateboarding or snowboarding magazine... is anyone into that particular sport that recognizes it?

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:55 PM »
You're thinking of this symbol:

It's the Dead Kennedys band logo.

dont certain religions forbid marking of the body? My theology is weak right now..

Jews are supposed to go back in the ground just the way they came into the world, without markings.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
Don't think that is the key to Lost :D

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
You're thinking of this symbol:

It's the Dead Kennedys band logo.

dont certain religions forbid marking of the body? My theology is weak right now..

Jews are supposed to go back in the ground just the way they came into the world, without markings.

Damn you good thats EXACTLY what I was thinking of.  I have been digging through t-shirts all morning trying to find it. :)  Thanks.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »
LOL... any headway with the symbol yet, aside from the skater thing?

I saw a few neat references to Wiccan symbols and other stuff... even saw one saying it was like the map to the Death Star, lol.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 05:54:03 PM »
It means "the Artist formerly known as an other"...

LOL!

Offline b3nj4m1n

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2007, 02:08:42 PM »
I think the mark is to let smoky know to kill Juliette.  Once they get back to the big island I think he will be after her or something else will.    The mark has to be punishment, if they were going to execute her and instead give her the mark it has to mean something bad for her.  Going from execution to just a little mark that is hidden from view is too much  of a step down.  The mark is not anything of protection, that just does not make any sense, she is being punished for killing one of her own even though the one she killed was going to go against Ben's wishes.Why don't the others see that, she made sure that Ben's orders were followed.  Kate and Sawyer were suppose to be let go.   :-[

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2007, 03:15:18 PM »
LOL... any headway with the symbol yet, aside from the skater thing?

I saw a few neat references to Wiccan symbols and other stuff... even saw one saying it was like the map to the Death Star, lol.

http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/03/0314.html

this is what I am going with... it's a baseline symbol with a meaning if a line is put in a certain area and at a certain length.

of course, what do symbols even means since they changed the translation of Jack's Tattoos :)