Author Topic: Multiple Parallel Universes -MPU's (new theory from a new member...long)  (Read 21114 times)

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Parallel Universes -MPU's (new theory from a new member...long)
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2007, 07:41:44 PM »
This thread has touched on some things that I have been mulling for a while my self.

The Talisman has been mentioned.  This novel and many other King works weave themselves into a much larger story detailed in his Gunslinger series.  I have seen many parallels (no pun intended) with Lost from the start of the series. 

Without going on for several pages, the just of the Gunslinger story is that the main character is on a a quest to "a dark tower", a quest he doesn't even understand, in a world that has "moved on".  During this quest he visits many other times and places, even "pulling" the other main characters from our world, from different eras, into his time and place.  One of these main characters is a "special" boy, that he chose to allow die in a parrallel universe earlier in the series.  The boys quote when the Gunslinger allows him to die is "there are other worlds than this".  Another one of the books (Wizard and Glass) is essentially a six hundred page "flashback".  Many pop culture references are included as clues as the story unfolds, including The Wizard of Oz playing a large role.

At the end of the opus, we find the gunslinger beginning his quest again, where we first met him, with only one small change.  He had made one small "mistake" during his age-long quest and was now starting over with just a sense ofdeja vu.

Are there any other Gunslinger fans out there that see the parallels too?  I would like to start a thread on this if there is interest.

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »
This thread has touched on some things that I have been mulling for a while my self.

The Talisman has been mentioned.  This novel and many other King works weave themselves into a much larger story detailed in his Gunslinger series.  I have seen many parallels (no pun intended) with Lost from the start of the series. 

Without going on for several pages, the just of the Gunslinger story is that the main character is on a a quest to "a dark tower", a quest he doesn't even understand, in a world that has "moved on".  During this quest he visits many other times and places, even "pulling" the other main characters from our world, from different eras, into his time and place.  One of these main characters is a "special" boy, that he chose to allow die in a parrallel universe earlier in the series.  The boys quote when the Gunslinger allows him to die is "there are other worlds than this".  Another one of the books (Wizard and Glass) is essentially a six hundred page "flashback".  Many pop culture references are included as clues as the story unfolds, including The Wizard of Oz playing a large role.

At the end of the opus, we find the gunslinger beginning his quest again, where we first met him, with only one small change.  He had made one small "mistake" during his age-long quest and was now starting over with just a sense ofdeja vu.

Are there any other Gunslinger fans out there that see the parallels too?  I would like to start a thread on this if there is interest.

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Even in the first episode of season 1 when the "monster" was heard thrashing through the jungle...it sounded metallic and the first thought I had was that it was like the giant cyborg bear Shardik in "The Wastelands."

There's the Walt/Jake connection. Possible parallel universes, that's common. How many hatches are there? Six? Six beams in the King series, yes? Also the plague in one of the worlds is similar to the "sickness" which everyone and no one seems to need to be vaccinated against (although in "The Dark Tower" the plague wasn't a huge focal point of the story, it was a huge focal point in the world in which it happened, as we know from "The Stand").

There are lots of parallels, some stronger than others (the trio on the Hydra could be loosely linked to Roland, Susannah, and Eddie (Jack, Kate, and Sawyer) although they would be missing their Jake). It is compelling on one hand...and on the other, I wonder if I could make the same connections to "The Dark Tower" series with "Grey's Anatomy" or "Heroes" if I tried hard enough.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2007, 11:37:40 PM »

Oh, yeah. Definitely. Even in the first episode of season 1 when the "monster" was heard thrashing through the jungle...it sounded metallic and the first thought I had was that it was like the giant cyborg bear Shardik in "The Wastelands."

There's the Walt/Jake connection. Possible parallel universes, that's common. How many hatches are there? Six? Six beams in the King series, yes? Also the plague in one of the worlds is similar to the "sickness" which everyone and no one seems to need to be vaccinated against (although in "The Dark Tower" the plague wasn't a huge focal point of the story, it was a huge focal point in the world in which it happened, as we know from "The Stand").

There are lots of parallels, some stronger than others (the trio on the Hydra could be loosely linked to Roland, Susannah, and Eddie (Jack, Kate, and Sawyer) although they would be missing their Jake). It is compelling on one hand...and on the other, I wonder if I could make the same connections to "The Dark Tower" series with "Grey's Anatomy" or "Heroes" if I tried hard enough.
LOL good point Beann
they have been giving shout outs to the master all thoughout the show so...yeah I can see them too.  I also thought of The Stand but I dismissed it

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2007, 05:50:21 PM »
When did the 2004 tsunami occur? Which tsunami are you talking about? Would it actually affect an island in the Pacific?
ummm... Are you really being serious?  It was only the biggest world event to happen in 2004. It happened on Christmas Day, and affected Thailand (Phuket) and Indonesia the most but also affected everything (just about) in the Pacific west of Hawaii.  Lindeloff referred to it earlier this year as an event that would definitely have consequences later on the island.  There was a big article about it.

I do believe that Multiple Parallel Universes are able to fold into one. The problem is that it is very unlikely.

In my opinion, a Parallel Universe is formed by ANY choice a person makes. Therefore, if you chose to wear a red shirt today, in an Alternate Reality, you wore a blue shirt. These two Universes will most likely reform into one once you take that shirt off.

However, if you chose to leave your job for a different one, you will never (most likely) see the other reality again.

Therefore, there are not technically Infinite Universes, but a very large number of them.
Technically this is correct.  How that would play out in a TV series is a bit more convoluted.  I don't believe that's what the writers intended here.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2007, 06:03:15 PM »
These are 4 MPUs.  "Travelling" from one to the other is a vertical leap in this diagram.  This would not benefit the traveller with any foreknowledge.  In fact, the traveller would be confused as to why things are different from the way they remember them.

In order to see future trouble or change the past, the traveller would have to move horizontally on the diagram.
There is an inherent error in this logic though. If Desmond were in fact 'time traveling' to a time when he was alive he would see himself, as did Bruce Willis in "12 Monkeys".  Bruce Willis traveled to a time when he was a child at a location where he as a child was, and in fact, 'saw himself'.  Desmond has traveled to a time in the past where he was (confirmed today by DL and CC that Des did in fact, "time travel")- but he did not see a carbon copy of himself.  He in fact, was "himself".  He embodied himself physcally but carried with him the foreknowledge of events past and future.  That's why I was alluding to the fact that he only 'mind traveled', not true time travel as in the physical human body goes from one location to the other, but his mind, fully armed with facts and knowledge from 'his future', went back in time.

I don't agree with the assumption that travelers in MPU's are locked 'parallel in time', that is, you can't jump up or down, future or past on the time/space continuum,- meaning you can only stay in the same 'time frame' of each MPU as the one in which you just left previously.  I[m not sure that the MPU's even have to be all in 'lock step' time wise, that they are all on the same parallel path.  But if time is 'non-linear', as we have seen with almost all instances of time travel or MPU's in movies and TV, then the traveler does not have to respect the linear aspect of time as we here on Earth know it, and as someone else mentioned in a previous post, time is 'morphing' all around us all of the time, and we just move from one time slot to another.  We just percieve it as linear, because that's the only thing our terrestrial brains can comprehend.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »
My poor brain... :'( :'( :'(

I love your posts though T-Mack!

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
So if charlie has died in two of the parallel threads but is still alive in the one we are watching, does anyone ever die??
Only if no one interferes with the event- and even then that's debatable... Remember, the Universe has a way of 'course correcting'.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2007, 06:24:38 PM »
Another question about this theroy...

Where to the children fit in? Why are they taken? What about Aaron, what could his role be?

Just wondering your take on this T Mack.
Mostly a distraction, but probably something to do with the Others and their inability to concieve on the island.  For Aaron, there could be a medical interest- possibly stem cells to cure some disease.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »

Unlock your mind and it won't hurt as much... 8)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »
I thought I understood it all and then I read more and bam my confidence is shot.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2007, 10:22:27 PM »

Unlock your mind and it won't hurt as much... 8)

I'm trying I'm trying....sigh when I was younger it was a lot easier ... ;)
Whats up with that? :-\

Offline thebeann

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2007, 11:13:27 PM »
Apparently Desmond did go back in time (Podcast, or so the rumors say). Can we work that back into the MPU theory?

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
MPU....explain.... i have no idea!

Multiple Parallel Universes.  You don't read very thorougly do you?   ::) That's the title of the thread.  Yes, to the other poster some people must be able to 'mind travel' between the multiple parallel universes, like Ms. Hawkings.  This is different from time travel, as the whole body doesn't go, as in there are now two Desmonds in his past.  But his mind, from the island, is able to traverse the fabric of time, complete with his memories of other experiences in other dimensions.  Sorta creepy, but fun, isn't it?  :o

In my current universe the title of this thread is Mean People Underwater.