Author Topic: Super confused  (Read 4965 times)

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Super confused
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:16:41 PM »
I was super confused and quite disappointed after watching the show last night.  I value almost all of the posters here and look to all of you for guidance but after reading just about all the posts about this episode not only am I more confused as ever but if another person brings up what happened on Star Trek as a corrolation with what is going on with Lost makes me think I am watching the wrong show here.

I look forward to the next episode and I am going to ignore the past one as never happening...

Time Travel.... baahh

Id rather talk about Purgatory for god's sakes.... (whoops another dead kitten, sorry Pandora...)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Super confused
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »
As someone else mentioned on another thread, there was a HUGE similarity to the movie "Donnie Darko" in last night's episode. And that movie also had viewers saying "did it really happen, or was it all in his head?"...

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »
i to was disappointed and a bit confused by last nights episode.  maybe not so much confused, as just uninterested.  i take the episode at face value, it doesn't make me want to delve into it any further.  i'm ready for the next one. 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
heh heh heh... I don't think I am too confused, but that's because I'm still young enough to believe what I'm told ;)

I liked the episode. It was as if TPTB said "Oh, you think you know what's going on? TAKE THIS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Ah, I love this show!

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »
I don't think he really time traveled.  I do believe Donnie Darko did though... there was a faux science behind that.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 08:56:43 PM »
Time travel is so different from precognition. On the island, he seems to have precognition, but aside from Desmond mentioning to his friends that he thinks he can time travel, I don't see much evidence for that theory. I see more evidence for his being able to see the future, though.

Those are such different concepts that I think this is what is confusing me about this episode. Just when I think I'm following the plot by thinking "he's seeing future events," he goes and says he can time travel!

And vice versa.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »
Time travel is so different from precognition. On the island, he seems to have precognition, but aside from Desmond mentioning to his friends that he thinks he can time travel, I don't see much evidence for that theory. I see more evidence for his being able to see the future, though.

Those are such different concepts that I think this is what is confusing me about this episode. Just when I think I'm following the plot by thinking "he's seeing future events," he goes and says he can time travel!

And vice versa.

The difference would, I suspect, be due to Desmond supposedly reliving what he's already experienced instead of having visions of what had not taken place yet.

If the "flashes" Desmond has on the island are exactly like the "flashes" he had when reliving his past and remembering the events that had already taken place, then it would mean he travelled into the future as well as back into the past. However, the episode only showed him returning to the present once being hit in the head with the bat, so for now you'd have to assume that he hasn't literally travelled into the future and that by reliving his past he now realizes he has the ability to foresee the future. He may have only asked his friemd about time travel because he felt he went back into the past, not because he felt he could do it now. For lack of a better way of putting it, it's the difference between saying "I think I time travelled" as compared to saying "I think I CAN time travel".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:06:36 PM by WhatThe »

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:15:27 PM »

And vice versa.

The difference would, I suspect, be due to Desmond supposedly reliving what he's already experienced instead of having visions of what had not taken place yet.

If the "flashes" Desmond has on the island are exactly like the "flashes" he had when reliving his past and remembering the events that had already taken place, then it would mean he travelled into the future as well as back into the past. However, the episode only showed him returning to the present once being hit in the head with the bat, so for now you'd have to assume that he hasn't literally travelled into the future and that by reliving his past he now realizes he has the ability to foresee the future. He may have only asked his friemd about time travel because he felt he went back into the past, not because he felt he could do it now. For lack of a better way of putting it, it's the difference between saying "I think I time travelled" as compared to saying "I think I CAN time travel".
Whatthe again i toally totally agree with you! I don't think he was "traveling" back and forth
anymore than we all do when we have a memory or a dream about something that happend in the past intermingled with something going on in the present
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:22:08 PM by Lostgirl (PLA'S PLA) »

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 10:23:27 PM »
heh heh heh... I don't think I am too confused, but that's because I'm still young enough to believe what I'm told ;)

I liked the episode. It was as if TPTB said "Oh, you think you know what's going on? TAKE THIS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Ah, I love this show!

Don't lie...I've told you to shut up and not be cocky but you haven't done what I've told you yet!  :o LMAO

Anyhoo, I was extremely confused. I think my first looksie at this epi made me confused which turned to anger for those writers writing this kind of crap. I was watching at face value like LB was...and I had to stop and slow down, and looksie again.  ;) I got more out of it the second time around. And it was intense, confusing, and made me pull all of my hair out while talking to Debs...BUT...I got some interesting thoughts.

I liked it. Wish I could give ANSWERS instead of asking more QUESTIONS tho. Sorry  :-\

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:31:46 PM »
Whatthe again i toally totally agree with you! I don't think he was "traveling" back and forth
anymore than we all do when we have a memory or a dream about something that happend in the past intermingled with something going on in the present

Well, that's because I make so much sense lol... *grin*

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »

Well, that's because I make so much sense lol... *grin*

You honestly do!! since this morning I have read your posts thinking to myself "Yeah well said!" or yeah!! thats what I meant..  so keep pputting down my thoughts since you word them SOO much better than me and when you make a mistake I'll let you know.. :P hehe

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
I am glad I am not the only one.  I just saw where people rated this a 9 out or 10 and I was like, "I must have missed something".  I need to watch it a few more times and perhaps I will get more from it...

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 10:43:37 AM »
And I on the other hand, can't figure out why people did not like this epi....go figure

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »
I to am confused by where this is headed. I want to ignore it also. I guess I am in the camp where this is more of a dream.

By the way what the hell is Donnie Darko and why is it being thrown around.

Offline Jordanoth

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »
it is a great movie starring Jake Gyllenhal (i know thats not how you spell it, but i cant be bothered googling, the guy from jarhead anyways..) where this kid wakes up in the middle of the night by a giant rabbit and he follows it.. when he returns in the morning a jet engine has fallen out of the sky and hit his bedroom.. from here onwards it gets crazier but basically he is given a timeline by the rabbit when the "world is going to end" and during that period he starts investigating the possibility of time travel and alternate universes.. donnie is a messed up kid and he gets increasingly crazy.. but eventually when the world ends (brace yourself this bit is hard to explain) you realise that he has been in an alternate universe to the real one and it is time for that universe to come to an end.. in that universe his parents are flying in the plane that drops the engine.. which travels through time and universes to the real universe and kills donnie in his bedroom (because he didnt get up in the middle of the night)..

you get the feeling that the alternate universe started cause donnie was called out of his bed and this decision broke the intended fate of the universe (albeit temporarily).. and this alternate universe collapsed like a mining tunnel when it reached its point of conflict with the real world.

(breathing heavily) forgive me juggy, i did my best if you still cant understand.. wiki it if you have to..