Author Topic: TIME  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: TIME
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »
I thought that when he fell of the ladder, he got the idea for the flux capacitor :)

I hate the idea of time travel / bending in this show.

Offline Schmoe

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »
At some point Desmond experienced events after the fail safe key event (he knew of Locke's speech, the lighting, Claire drowning).

There was an episode of Star Trek TNG where a Picard's mind was implanted with memories living as a person within a group of people that had been wiped out by there planets sun.  From his perspective, he lived this guys entire life, and had all of the memories of it, from the crew's perspective he was unconscious for less that an hour.

Is it possible something on the island is messing with the losties perspectives and memories?  It may be too far out there and make the viewers groan and give up if this is the case.

I have veja du almost every day.  The feeling I have never done something before.

Offline miketrapasso

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »
Wow.  Let me start by saying that the producers said we would either love or hate this episode: I loved it.  This episode is my favourite this season, and maybe of the whole series thus far.  Secondly, this show has from the start fascinated and intigued me.  That intrigue has increased tenfold with the concept of Time coming into play.  I am a bit of a philosophy nut, and the concept of Time has always been one of my favourites to read and talk about.  As soon as this episode ended, I consulted my Aristotle, Debord, Baudrillard, etc.  I haven't a clue yet, but I am sure that eventually, perhaps with future revelations, I will be able to formulate a theory.  As God is my witness, I will provide you all with a sound theory ere the season ends! ::)

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
Wow.  Let me start by saying that the producers said we would either love or hate this episode: I loved it.  This episode is my favourite this season, and maybe of the whole series thus far.  Secondly, this show has from the start fascinated and intigued me.  That intrigue has increased tenfold with the concept of Time coming into play.  I am a bit of a philosophy nut, and the concept of Time has always been one of my favourites to read and talk about.  As soon as this episode ended, I consulted my Aristotle, Debord, Baudrillard, etc.  I haven't a clue yet, but I am sure that eventually, perhaps with future revelations, I will be able to formulate a theory.  As God is my witness, I will provide you all with a sound theory ere the season ends! ::)

OK and I will hold you to it then!
I was also one that loved last nights epi
Even though they have said "no time travel" and with that in mind
I just thought it was a memory/flashback and nothing more
but I have always been intrigued with the whole TIME relevancy too
So yeah when your ready I would love to hear your theory and hope that I can wrap my brain around it

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 05:53:16 PM »
That makes sense. I was thinking that he still went a lived the life again. He was rubbing his head when he woke up
I guess I am skeptical that a knock to the head would send you back to timeline A. I understand that a huge magnetic anomoly could do this but how does a knock to the head do that.
My thought is that the bat was intended to kill the barkeep. In Timeline A, Barkeep dies, Des gets away, joins the army, etc... In Timeline B, Des saves Barkeep, only to be "killed" himself, but he was sent forward in time to the implosion instead of dying.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »
I don't think that this is "out there" - I think its a good a theory as any to explain all of the wierd time things that seem to be happening in the last two episodes (if not the whole series).  

With all the "time" issues in the last few episodes, one thing that I've been thinking about is viewer's noticing that some of the items in the hatch at the start of season 2 (when we first see Desmond) don't match with the items we see in the hatch later on.  Things like the washing machine model changing from an older model to something more contemporary.  Does this suggest some sort of abnormal or other unexplained passage of time?

I thought I'd make up a list of some things that have happened on the show that might possibly relate to the passage of time and the perception of the passage of time.  None of this is meant to prove any theory, one way or another, its just food for thought...

1.  "Adam and Eve" - the two dead people in the cave - decomposed, but how long have they really been there?  How do we really know?

2.  The Black Rock - a 19th century slave ship with a load of highly unstable dynamite on board, in a unstable-dynamic unfriendly humid jungle, that never exploded for hundreds of years...

3.  Sayid's calculation that Russo set the recording 16 years ago at the radio tower - Russo herself seemed suprised that it had really been that long.

4.  Yemi's plane - it crashed long enough ago for the bodies to thoroughly decompose, yet the radio in the plane still has battery power.  

5.  A 26 year old woman has the womb of a 70 year old.  

6.  Most indications are that the Dharma project ended some time ago - yet someone or something still airdrops in supplies on a periodic basis.  Maybe time is distorted between whomever performs the airdrops and what's going on on the island - in that the people performing the airdrops still think the Dharma project is alive and well?  

7.  I don't know how much value to put into the various official websites that have sprung up vs. things that actually appear in the show, but one of the sites talked about "Joop", the oldest living gorilla in captivity.  Maybe Joop has been affected by some sort of time anomally?

8.  Desmond's inability to sail the boat away from the island - he always ended up back there.  But is that an issue of some sort of "loop in space", rather than some sort of "loop in time"?

9.  Hitting the button every 108 minutes - seems like a way where one could record the passage of time, or the perceived passage of time, relative to the passage of time somewhere else.  

10.  The music that Hurley and Sayid pick up on the short wave radio - its quite an old song - who boardcasts old music on shortwave radio in 2004 or 2005?  Did they pick up a broadcast from another time?  

11.  The ice station people report back to Penny that "it happened again".  How long has Penny been monitoring?  Certainly we've known two hatch events - when the plane crashed and when the hatch ultimately ex or imploded.  But how far apart were these two events to people on the island vs. how far apart they were to Penny?    

To add to this list, what about the medical hatch? One day Claire is there and it looks one way, and she shows up however many days later and it looks like its been abandoned for years. I know the others could have faked it but it could also be a time issue.

Offline deadpolarbear

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
I really hate this theme, and I hope it doesnt prove to be real time travel/future preminitions/universe mapped out...
but it was strange that there was one long flashback, rather than one split up... perhaps a hint that this really did happen.

Im betting on in the upcoming episodes that there will be a situation where Desmond cannot save Charlie... but Charlie doesn't die (perhaps someone else will, dunno).. and then this will prove desmond's beliefs to be wrong..

although how he knew that these things would happe is still gonna take a lot of explaining!
I was expecting something to doubt the time travel theory at the end of the episode.
they better do a good job thats all im saying!

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 07:12:06 PM »
My first explanation of Desmond's "time travel", before i had time to think it over, was that he is stuck in an infinite loop. that is, he continually relives the same life over and over again. With the hatch explosion, perhaps parts of his previous lives flashed before his eyes. This would explain how he was able to witness the past as well as the future, and it fits with Desmond always saying "see you in another life." however, i'm sure there is something i haven't thought of that will completely shut this theory down

I like the "double time line" idea, but it doesn't really explain how he was able to see into the future (the lightening, claire drowning)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
My first explanation of Desmond's "time travel", before i had time to think it over, was that he is stuck in an infinite loop. that is, he continually relives the same life over and over again. With the hatch explosion, perhaps parts of his previous lives flashed before his eyes. This would explain how he was able to witness the past as well as the future, and it fits with Desmond always saying "see you in another life." however, i'm sure there is something i haven't thought of that will completely shut this theory down

I like the "double time line" idea, but it doesn't really explain how he was able to see into the future (the lightening, claire drowning)
This is my current theory ~ the loop part, anyways

Offline sastark

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:07 PM »
With all due respect to everyone who has posted very thought provoking theories about time, I have to disagree.

The simplest answer is usually the most correct. So, what is simpler: Desmond time traveling due to some sort of magnetic anomaly induced explosion? OR Desmond remembering events (after getting a major bump on his head) that lead up to him being on the island, with those memories tainted with island-related themes (the numbers, Charlie, paintings of polar bears, etc)?

Let's not forget that Desmond was in the Hatch for 3 years, entering the numbers over and over again. He was brainwashed (aka "lied to") by Kelvin into thinking that he was saving the world by entering these numbers every 108 minutes. After being in an enclosed area like that with a person like Kelvin for 3 years, don't you think your memories and psyche in general would be affected? And isn't that a more simple theory than time travel?

These time theories remind me of other theories for explaining the island earlier on in the show (you know, things like purgatory and aliens and ghosts, etc). But none of those theories panned out. I think the writers are experts in misdirection. They are making us think that Desmond time-traveled, when in reality there is a much simpler explanation.

Of course, neither the time travel theory nor the island-tainted memory theory explain why Desmond was naked when he woke up. That, to me, is the real mystery, but I'll save my theories on that for another thread.

Offline gunnston

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 08:20:05 PM »
Many people said Juliet's may have been on the island for 3 years while in the 'real world' it was only 6 or 9 months...

Not true

http://www.mittelosbioscience.com/jburke.html

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »
I can't believe everyone still thinks he really time traveled.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »

Well if there is a double time line maybe their is a a past present and future all happening at the same time....I cannot wrap my brain around it even when it is explained to me but......
I myself do not really think that there is "time travel" involved but Des has this ability and so he can possibly see the future and while he was having his "lucid dream"/ "flashback" he was also seeing glimpses of the future
Michelle asked an important question though regarding what Penny says to him->>> "why are you re-writting History"?  What history is she talking about?  or its is possibly just his brain playing tricks with words in his dream/flahsback?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 09:21:25 PM »
With all due respect to everyone who has posted very thought provoking theories about time, I have to disagree.

The simplest answer is usually the most correct. So, what is simpler: Desmond time traveling due to some sort of magnetic anomaly induced explosion? OR Desmond remembering events (after getting a major bump on his head) that lead up to him being on the island, with those memories tainted with island-related themes (the numbers, Charlie, paintings of polar bears, etc)?

Let's not forget that Desmond was in the Hatch for 3 years, entering the numbers over and over again. He was brainwashed (aka "lied to") by Kelvin into thinking that he was saving the world by entering these numbers every 108 minutes. After being in an enclosed area like that with a person like Kelvin for 3 years, don't you think your memories and psyche in general would be affected? And isn't that a more simple theory than time travel?

These time theories remind me of other theories for explaining the island earlier on in the show (you know, things like purgatory and aliens and ghosts, etc). But none of those theories panned out. I think the writers are experts in misdirection. They are making us think that Desmond time-traveled, when in reality there is a much simpler explanation.

Of course, neither the time travel theory nor the island-tainted memory theory explain why Desmond was naked when he woke up. That, to me, is the real mystery, but I'll save my theories on that for another thread.

I"ve said before that being naked seems to be a constant aspect of time travel in movies and tv shows...The Terminator arrives from the future nude, so does the guy sent back to protect Sarah Connor (and ends up fathering her child). The trailer for The Fountain showed Hugh Jackman's character engulfed in a bright light and his clothes being literally ripped from his body. Seems, for whatever reason, that nudity is now being used as a side effect of time travel in fiction lol...

As for the "simpler theory", it might help explain why he has memories from the island infused into his "dreaming/reliving" of his past, but it doesn't explain Desmond's new ability to foresee future events.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:23:44 PM by WhatThe »

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
Many people said Juliet's may have been on the island for 3 years while in the 'real world' it was only 6 or 9 months...

Not true

http://www.mittelosbioscience.com/jburke.html
Once again, this is a hoax site. Don't believe it.