Author Topic: Course correcting?  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Course correcting?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 08:39:05 PM »
Maybe Claire will die so then Charlie won't die trying to save her.  I still don't think he time traveled.  I think the idea that it's all a simulation like The Matrix is a more plausible theory than time travel (although I hope that's not going on either).  I still say it was just a smoke monster test and it was all in Desmond's head.  Unless we all want to say that getting knocked in the head is the key to time travel.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »
Unless we all want to say that getting knocked in the head is the key to time travel.

If it is time travel, then it wasn't due to being knocked in the head...it would have been due to whatever electromagnetic forces took place when he turned the failsafe key. The "knocked in the head" moments only served as points of entry/exit in the timeline, where he was unconscious and made entry/exit possible. They weren't the cause of the travel.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »
I, too, thought of Wizard of Oz.  Could be a good theory.

Red is also a very common color used in this epi.....

shoes, Des's shirt, red paint...

My husband made mention of that fact too. Good eye people!!!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Cause correcting?
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 02:07:33 AM »
if lockes legs/ back were useless before the crash then does that mean that the island is in fact in the past tense... same as rose...

This is an interesting thought.  I don't think we've ever truly discussed the idea of the island being IN THE PAST.  This might also explain why no one is looking for them after the crash, why they cannot "go home", and why Jack's DAD is still alive.  Jugs - you may have been right all along.

this idea interests me as well, considering some of the conversations AnaLucia & Goodwin shared about the Peace Corps & the army knife.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »
if lockes legs/ back were useless before the crash then does that mean that the island is in fact in the past tense... same as rose...

This is an interesting thought.  I don't think we've ever truly discussed the idea of the island being IN THE PAST.  This might also explain why no one is looking for them after the crash, why they cannot "go home", and why Jack's DAD is still alive.  Jugs - you may have been right all along.

this idea interests me as well, considering some of the conversations AnaLucia & Goodwin shared about the Peace Corps & the army knife.

Can you remind me of these convos?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 02:13:06 PM »
I have a thought on how Des is supposed to have saved Charlie by saving Claire.  Des said that Charlie would have died trying to save Claire, if he hadn't done it.

Charlie was in the jungle with Locke, Hurley, and Sayid while Claire was drowning.  If Des had not taken off for the beach, Charlie would not have had a clue that she was even in the water.

Also if Charlie had indeed tried to save Claire and died then Claire would have died too, since he wouldn't have saved her right?

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 02:42:29 PM »
Yes she would have died, because charlie woul;d have been hit by lightning and died days before if dez hadnt stepped in an planted a lightning rod the first time.... she would have died if charlie had been saved from lightning and then drowned trying to save her and noone went out to rescue them both... so does that now mean that charlies character is in fact an important one of sorts.... is he the one WORTH saving? because as someone said earlier... if dez can see the future played out as he's already lived it, and 3 people were to die in a span of 24 hours... which one is the most worthy of trying to course correct...

But for desmond to acurrately determine what he needs to do and where he needs to be, that only leaves me with the notion that he's lived each sequence before numerous times...much like groundhogs day and how bill murray adjusted to intertwine each new days knowledge into the next....

with so many references to movies and tv shows we are using and qouting... how great will it be that the writers producers in fact brainstormed a way to make one show using so many fan favourites.. i know some will be dissapointed but its better to please the masses than keep the nay sayers smiling.... and it seems that weve all got a close niche of books,movies and favourites in common.... but in the end...we all get to root for a fave character all beit so many different ones...and we all seem to relate well to some episodes and deal with the ones our fave isnt a major part in.... and with my fave movie being the "usual suspects' im very much hoping i dont "get it" till the very end....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:46:09 PM by ozman776 »

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »
Exactly and good point with the lightening...I didn't think it through that far behind

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »
with us nitpicking each event with screen caps and rewatching episodes numerous times...it must be hard for a show like this to get every single detail RIGHT.... the fact that charlie was in the woods with dez,sayid,hurley,locke... does make me wonder if dez may in fact be SETTING charlie up???? or was he leading him into the woods all beit for a discreet meeting with the newly returned sayid-locke... so that dea only had to worry about saving claire and not make a decision to save charlie THEN claire... damm i just confuddled myself... back to sitting on the fence....

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »
with us nitpicking each event with screen caps and rewatching episodes numerous times...it must be hard for a show like this to get every single detail RIGHT.... the fact that charlie was in the woods with dez,sayid,hurley,locke... does make me wonder if dez may in fact be SETTING charlie up???? or was he leading him into the woods all beit for a discreet meeting with the newly returned sayid-locke... so that dea only had to worry about saving claire and not make a decision to save charlie THEN claire... damm i just confuddled myself... back to sitting on the fence....

OK ozzman now you made my head hurt again LOL

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »
I have a thought on how Des is supposed to have saved Charlie by saving Claire.  Des said that Charlie would have died trying to save Claire, if he hadn't done it.

Charlie was in the jungle with Locke, Hurley, and Sayid while Claire was drowning.  If Des had not taken off for the beach, Charlie would not have had a clue that she was even in the water.

Also if Charlie had indeed tried to save Claire and died then Claire would have died too, since he wouldn't have saved her right?

He asks Charlie to go into the jungle with him because he knows he will eventually try to go save Claire...this way Charlie is nowhere near Claire so Des can do the saving.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »

Can you remind me of these convos?
S2E7- [Goodwin trying to start a fire with a hand drill type device.]

ANA [entering]: You couldn't find any matches?

GOODWIN: Dry ones? You can ask around but I couldn't find any. It'll be dark soon, let me get a signal fire started so they can find us.

ANA: What are you, a boy scout?

GOODWIN: Grown up version -- I'm in the Peace Corps.

ANA: They still have that?

GOODWIN: I'm just happy somebody your age actually knows what it is.

GOODWIN: Can I have the knife?

[He takes out a mango and Ana hands him the knife. He gives Ana a piece of mango.]

ANA: Thank you. Where do you think they got it? I mean, they don't even wear shoes. How'd they get an army knife?

GOODWIN: Sorry?

ANA: The knife -- it's U.S. military. Here [she reaches for the knife] I'll show you. You see the tang stamp? [We see a U.S. Army stamp] This knife's probably 20 years old. You don't see these anymore, yet here it is, on this island. Weird, huh? Can I ask you something?

GOODWIN: Sure, Ana.

ANA: When you ran out of the jungle the day of the crash -- how did you find Bernard up in the tree?

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
Uh huh....yes.  I remember this now.  Thanks! 

This is intriguing...

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2007, 07:31:38 PM »
Ok so that would mean that they traveled into the past but the producers said NO TIME TRAVEL
Maybe it was like the Bermuda Traingle...the plane got sucked into another dimension?
the past......

Offline daisyrain

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »
My thing with the course correction thing and Charlie is that he has nearly died more than most people on the island and keeps having narrow escapes. Before Desmond was even on the scene Charlie survived a hanging and when the cave collapsed on Jack but he got out. Charlie is meant to die here, I dont think it will be for awhile but it is his destiny. Desmond will keep trying to save him but he did say something along the lines of he wont be able to be there everytime.

I loved this part of the show because I was convinced that Desmond was trying to save Aaron and therefore Claire but I liked the fact that it was Charlie.