Author Topic: Biblical Refrences  (Read 6442 times)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Biblical Refrences
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »
MICHELLE caught Ruth/ Naomi.  :)

It didn't hit me immediately, since Naomi's name wasn't mentioned in this episode.

btw- have we ever noted "James" in here?

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »
oh, sorry i thought it was you.  i don't think we've mentioned james.  there is also john.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »
oh, sorry i thought it was you.  i don't think we've mentioned james.  there is also john.
NP. :)  I had to emphasize Chelle's name, because she did the "yay! I caught something dance" & everything. :D

There's more than one James & John in the Bible, but one set are brothers.   Although we know our "James & John" aren't biological brothers, they do share a strong connection in Cooper.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »
 :D Yea, I did.

But AWESOME stuff here people! I can't wait to read more of what people think along this line.

I think it's even more wonderful that all the religions are being brought into play..but that it seems the Christian faith is strongest. Just really really neat stuff.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 02:12:04 AM »
Lou & I were discussing how often Bible stories are referenced.  It seems like many of the stories are recycled or the morals are all the same.

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 02:17:03 AM »
i don't know that much about the bible, because i never had to really study it, but i know vaguely some things.  i find all of this very interesting though.

it kind of adds contrast to the science behind the show.... get it?  Man of Science, Man of Faith?

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 02:20:36 AM »
I agree.  Also- it enhances the literary foundation of the show.  The Bible is the best selling book ever, & one of the oldest in existence.  Another VERY old book is The Epic of Gilgamesh which the show has referenced, as well.  Tying in these archaic books adds to the story of the ancient civilization of the Island, IMO.  There's just an antiquity about it all. :)

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 02:22:38 AM »
has anyone noticed any other religious references, besides Greek (like the real name for smokey which i forget at the moment)?  I can't remember..... 

but i agree, the Bible is quite the literary achievement.  It adds a thread to the sweater to add it into the story!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 02:23:44 AM »
There's alot of Greek mythology.  Cerebrus is the name, I think.

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 02:24:46 AM »
THAT'S it!! Thank you!! it was starting to bug me....