Author Topic: Amputee Guy  (Read 5655 times)

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Amputee Guy
« on: February 09, 2007, 05:54:43 AM »
Hi, I'm Pete from Worcestershire, UK. Can't see any other intro thread so I hope this is OK.

Just finished re-watching Series 1 and I've been trying to work out all the survivors for myself. Now I could be completely wrong herem but way back in episode 1 at the beach, doesn't Jack drag a man out of the wreckage only to find that he's recieved a traumatic bilateral leg amputation? We're arn't subsequently told of his death, right?

So "amputee guy" should count as one one of the survivors.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Amputee Guy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:55:36 PM »
Good point, but I think it is assumed that either TPTB fogot about him or that he died. Unless we see him in another episode, I think he's dead :(

Offline captaintau

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:20:21 PM »
By my reckoning, he is included in survivor counts (IE Jack saying 46 (IIRC) after Joanna's death). Quite possible that he's been forgotten about.

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 07:37:12 PM »
That just raises the question... how do we miss a guy with no legs?  *GASP*... maybe HE'S Jacob!

No... no... that'd be weeeeeeird... and involve him being a time traveler.

Have they ever mentioned a guy named Lucky or Stumpy?

Horrifying pokings of fun aside... I'm guessing he's quite dead.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:05:15 PM »
That just raises the question... how do we miss a guy with no legs?  *GASP*... maybe HE'S Jacob!

No... no... that'd be weeeeeeird... and involve him being a time traveler.

Hmmmm.  Maybe he's the guy in the casket in Jack's flashforward.  It would explain why the casket was so short.  (I'm just kidding!)

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:37 PM »
Are you sure amputee guy exists? There's a guy that's pinned under wreckage that Locke and others lift up so that Jack can pull him out. His legs are a mess, but they look like they're still there. And Jack says, pretty casually, that he'll be fine in a couple of days.

Am I not looking at this right? Or are you talking about a different guy?

???

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:11:33 PM »
Are you sure amputee guy exists? There's a guy that's pinned under wreckage that Locke and others lift up so that Jack can pull him out. His legs are a mess, but they look like they're still there. And Jack says, pretty casually, that he'll be fine in a couple of days.

Am I not looking at this right? Or are you talking about a different guy?

???
Wow!  If Jack really said that, it adds credence to the theory that he has been there, done that before.  How else would he know/believe that the guy would be fine in a few days?

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:34:39 PM »

Wow!  If Jack really said that, it adds credence to the theory that he has been there, done that before.  How else would he know/believe that the guy would be fine in a few days?

Well, at the time I took it as just Jack letting us know that the injury was not as bad as it looked. I don't think he knew about the island's healing properties.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »

Doctors tend to look at the glass as half-empty.  They always say things are worse than they are.  Jack especially!

Well, at the time I took it as just Jack letting us know that the injury was not as bad as it looked. I don't think he knew about the island's healing properties.

Doctors are pessimists.  Jack especially.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:47:30 AM »
Of course, he might have been trying to instill hope. They just crashed on an island!

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »
Of course, he might have been trying to instill hope. They just crashed on an island!

I looked at this again. There is no amputee guy as far as I can tell. The guy with his leg pinned appears to have one uninjured leg. Jack puts a tourniquet on the other and Locke and some other guy help the injured fellow stumble off. The next day, Boone asks Jack about him. Jack says he took the tourniquet off the night before and the guy will be fine. He doesn't say anything about how long that'll take; I was wrong about that.