Author Topic: Tom's Comment About the Purple Flash  (Read 4703 times)

BlackrockBob

Re: Tom's Comment About the Purple Flash
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »
Tom told Ben about the communications problem, but does Juliette know?

It hasn't been that many days since the failsafe was used by Des.
Also I thought Ben only recently found out about the cancer.

We will see more about the failsafe when Desmond says what happened to him after he used it. I hate to say it, but TIME may TRAVEL differently for Desmond.
Personally, I can't wait to see how they explain it without TT.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 09:19:30 PM »
BRBob, you rock dude!

How come with each new theory or "conclusion" we find several questions? lol Good writing eh?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 11:41:28 PM »
Tom told Ben about the communications problem, but does Juliette know?

It hasn't been that many days since the failsafe was used by Des.
Also I thought Ben only recently found out about the cancer.

We will see more about the failsafe when Desmond says what happened to him after he used it. I hate to say it, but TIME may TRAVEL differently for Desmond.
Personally, I can't wait to see how they explain it without TT.
I don't remember exactly how long, but Ben said "a few days after I found I had a tumor, a spinal surgeon fell from the sky"

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »
I think Ben actually said it was the day after he found out...but - we know that Ben lies, and he will continue to lie.

If the "comms" are down due to the purple flash, that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't leave.  After all, they aren't on "The" Island right now.

It could be that they don't have a boat that can make it far enough since they gave it away to Michael.  Then, Ben hears about the sailboat and wants it right away.  It might take too long to sail out, so Ben figures it's better to take his chances with Jack.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »
They have the submarine

mindsparkle

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 04:50:27 PM »
Seems to me that if they were considering getting help for Ben they would have done it the day after the plane crashed, like right away... why waste time and why take so much time in getting the surgeon...

he could have ordered Goodwin and Ethan or whomever to go get the surgeon... so there has to be some reason they can't get Ben to a doc in civilization... and I know we all remember Mrs. Klug saying we can't go over there... I'm not sure she meant it the way we heard it!

and as for the statement about the purple flash... all of Ben's options were already considered when the flash happened... so I think Tom was about to tell Jack something about the purple flash but it probably had little to do with getting Ben to a doctor.. he may have been leading up to something, just starting a story... (not story like made-up but his thoughts)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »
Mindsparkle as always you spark a thought in my croweded brain. Maybe Ms. Klugh meant that Jacob, or whoever the boss is, won't allow them to go over to the lostie area. We know Ben has ignored Jacobs list, he might of decided to ignore this order also.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »
Ethan never gave them a list of the survivors like Goodwin did.

I theorize that Jacob took Goodwin's list, researched the people and came up with a list of the "Good Ones"....

Notice Bernard is NOT on that list either. He was a dentist. He is the only tailie left.
Weird, huh? I say there is something wrong with Bernard.

Anyway, Jack and Bernard are both in the medical profession, and both weren't on the list.
Maybe that is just a coincidence.

Back to Ben's cancer... They didn't know Jack survived until Ethan brought Claire to the medical hatch (Staff?). So it is really weird for him to wait that long to make plans to get Jack if he needed Jack to perform the surgery. I think they would have sent Ben off the island if Ben could leave.

I have a feeling that Ben can't leave the island, and that there is a link to people born on the island. There are sure a lack of them. Alex and Aarron, maybe Ben too.
Since women become infertile, the woman would have to be pregnant before she came to the island, unless Juliette found a cure.

Offline airdudei

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 12:49:48 AM »
Does anyone have a link to maybe youtube for this scene. I have looked but I can't find it. I don't remember this conversation from the episode. I'd like to watch this scene again. Thanks.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 02:09:03 AM »
Some wild ramblings here. What if time does move different on the island. So if you do leave the island you instantly become much older. So a 40 year on the island is like 75 off the island. Just thinking out loud

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 02:10:24 AM »
That satisfies a few questions, though.  :-\  Not sure...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »
I am starting to formulate a new theory!!

mindsparkle

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 03:49:20 AM »
hmmm... a few gears are starting to move for me as well... interesting thoughts...

Offline stillhaventfound

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 11:21:39 PM »
All we know is that Tom said, "Well, since the sky turned purple . . ."

I certainly think it's a reasonable assumption that the completion to this sentence is something along the lines of "we can't communicate with the outside world" or "we can't get off the island and here's why".

But, what if it is more of a conscious decision of new action by the Others?  Specifically, what if they know that when the sky turned purple (the hatch fail-safe was triggered), the island became "visible" to the outside world, and now they have to be extra careful to keep the island hidden?  i.e. - they can't have any boat or plane traffic tracked via radar or anything else heading to or from the island, so that it is harder to find for anyone who is looking for it.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 11:25:23 PM »
I think it has to be one of your 3 options. They all fit and make sense, I do lean towards the first two choices.