Author Topic: Tom's Comment About the Purple Flash  (Read 4464 times)

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Tom's Comment About the Purple Flash
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:17:35 PM »
Again, if this is being discussed somewhere else, I can't find it. Move me if necessary.

The first time I watched, I never caught on to Tom's statement about why they hadn't moved Ben to a facility since they have that ability...he said something about "ever since the purple flash"...then got cut off due to Jack cutting an artery on Ben.

Anyone wanna theorize on this one?? Could it be that Tom was about to let the cat out of the bag that they couldn't contact the "mother island" due to the magnetic discharge??

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Comment About the Purple Flash
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 11:49:48 PM »
I thought this was particularly interesting seeing as it almost sounded as if they had planned on getting Ben off the island for the surgery, until the "sky turned purple."  However, Jack was kidnapped BEFORE that happened!  I'm not sure what to make of it yet.  Production error?  Deception? 

Tom is the one Other that I see as reliable, as far as information, ethics, & trustworthiness.  I guess he's just guilty by association in my eyes.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 12:09:04 AM »
I am pretty sure this was discussed in some detail under the last episode.  hope that helps.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 06:48:12 AM »
But Joy...lol...he didn't say it until THIS episode lmao

BlackrockBob

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »
THis is my theory (sorry I will mention Clancy Brown's character)

They want Michael to release Ben and bring the three most important connected people to them. (You could never control Locke or Saiyd). Ben is about to die and needs to have surgery.

I think the point was to send a statement back with Hurley not to mess with the Others and they were holding Jack/Kate/Sawyer for insurance. Jack is the real prize, Kate and Sawyer are just there to control Jack. He is the most likely to help with with their research.

The failsafe is used. They can't take Ben back to have surgery. Jack is a spinal surgeon with the past of performing great surgery. They change their plans to have Jack perform the surgery.

I find it funny that they didn't really know that if they kept messing with Locke that the failsafe would end up being used. I guess Desmond was the variable they didn't count on.

Now I believe that KELVIN  :o  knew what would happen if he used the failsafe. That it would be hard or impossible to leave the island. He knew he couldn't get away fast enough if their was a system failure and had to make sure that Desmond kept pushing the button. At one point Kelvin was going to use the failsafe, and he was drunk. I think he was told to use it, but he couldn't face the possibility of spending his whole life on the island.

(Now is where I would go on about how Kelvin faked his death to take the boat safely, couldn't find the correct compass heading to leave and parked the boat back in the safe hiding spot, went to the Pearl and laughed at Desmond/Locke/Jack/etc.)

However we all know that Kelvin is DEAD, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Clancy Brown, he'll be back in a flashback, I'm sure. He is too good not to keep having him pop up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:12:43 AM by BlackrockBob »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:52:53 AM »
That is an excellent theory. It encompasses all the old information and the new episode. Nicely done.

TOm was responding to Jacks question on why the did not just take ben off the island for the surgery. So I believe Tom was going to say that they can not leave the island now. So they are all stuck there for now.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:57:01 AM »
Which means Michael and Walt can't aren't going to find much following compass bearing 325 ???

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »
I believe they will be back, Ben isn't going to let Walt go, nor Juliette or Jack. To valuable.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 10:00:21 AM »
I would guess not. I always thought they just got picked up by some of the others. It was a show to Jack-kate-Sawyer that the others will keep their word.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »
Bravo BRBOb! Excellent, concise theory...

That'll really set up the next few episodes (sans Walt & Mike) and most importantly, what happened to Desmond when he turned the failsafe key...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:10:54 PM »
Agreed.  :)  Very logical, organized, & well thought out.  :)  Great post, BRB.

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »
I would agree, except that Jack wasn't on Jacob's List.  We know that Bea gave the list to Michael, and from Pickett's statement we can infer that Ben gave the list to Bea - only that list didn't match Jacob's.

Why did Ben want Jack to do the surgery if he could leave the island?  Ben would have added Jack to the list way before the implosion.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
Hmmm...now you have me thinking again... :-\

That is an important point to consider...about Jacob's list.  :-\

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »
Back to the original topic...

Anyways, Jack asked if he knew he had a tumor, why didn't Ben leave. Tom's answer was because ever since the sky turned purple...

Jack had been on the island for a couple months before the sky turned purple. Ben knew that he had cancer since before the plane crash.

Why didn't Ben leave in those two months? If he couldn't leave for some reason, why didn't he get Jack sooner?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
Here is a thought I don't think has been brought up.  If they can't get off the island b/c "the sky turned purple." If that is what he truely meant when saying that... wouldn't Juliet know that she wouldn't be able to go home now?  If something happened when Desmond turned the key why would Juliet not know this when Ben told her she could go home.... then we get back to the question... is that what Ben really said to her?