Author Topic: Juliet Kills Pickett? and Karl can Go?  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Juliet Kills Pickett? and Karl can Go?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »
In my opinion, they don't want Alex to go to the other island because DANIELLE, her birth mother, is there.  She may not know that Danielle is her birth mother, and I'm sure if she doesn't, they don't want her to be running into Danielle.

Just my opinion, though.
i agree with you cardi.  i think that is EXACTLY why they don't want alex to go with the losties, and EXACTLY why they DO want karl to go there.  it is a way to separate them.  for whatever reason.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks for bringing up this subject E-Rich... I've been talking in different threads about Karl, but this is the first time I think I've actually considered Karl and Alex's relationship...

I've already asked about why Karl was being brainwashed or why they let him go with Kate and Sawyer... but I haven't exactly thought about why Karl and Alex's relationship is discouraged or why they are being kept apart. One one side, I agree with some of you that Ben is probably just being protective of his so-called daughter. On the other hand, SOL brings up a great point about what if they are too close genetically to have children, meaning they could be siblings or just share some hybrid DNA or whatever fertility experiment either of them might have been exposed to... I mean, they're the only teenagers we've seen so far in the Other's community (and BRBob might also be on to something here given the different classes/types of Other's we've een so far). So unless they give us another backstory about what happened to Rousseau/Alex, we won't really know if Alex thinks she's Ben's biological daughter, if she knows she's adopted, or if she is even aware of the fact that her mom is alive on the other island... but it's fun to speculate, huh?

Oh ya, Pickett is most definitely dead, but we have yet to find out if Juliet must suffer the consequences of having killed him. Sure Ben said she could go home, but they haven't really divulged whether or not she has to atone for his murder. Since we didn't get to hear any part of Juliet and Ben's convo, all we know is that she was supposed to help Kate & Sawyer escape, killing Pickett may or may not have been part of the plan.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 01:05:59 PM »
I like SOL theory on the genetics of Alex and Carl. But officially I am going with the simple answer of the father just wanting his daughter away from someone he feels is unworthy. The others are not happy with Carl so they tried to retrain him. Until more information, the most obvious is most likely the correct belief. It just isn't as fun as SOL theory :D

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 05:52:19 PM »
Yeah I like Sol's idea too, but yes not enough info on Carl yet
but that would make perfect sense
So I too stay with the idea that he was just being punished because he tried to free Sawyer and was not in compliance with whatever rules they have (prior to trying to free Sawyer)
But I would like it if Sol idea played out

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Yeah I like Sol's idea too, but yes not enough info on Carl yet
but that would make perfect sense
So I too stay with the idea that he was just being punished because he tried to free Sawyer and was not in compliance with whatever rules they have (prior to trying to free Sawyer)
But I would like it if Sol idea played out

If he was sent to the Fun Fun room for doing something like helping Sawyer get out (when it was impossible for him to escape) then what did he do to deserve being set in the cage? It must have been something minor.

And why doesn't Alex get in trouble?

Did Waldo say "Your father will kill you if he finds out you're here"? Was he being literal?

Offline Foxyschic

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »
Good point.  I was actually wondering why Alex didn't go ahead and get on the boat?  I don't think Juliette would have killed her.  Ben certainly wouldn't have let her off of the island. And even if Alex didn't know this piece of information.  She has seen that they wouldn't shoot her, even when she was "attacking" their camp with a slingshot.  Why not just leave and go with your boyfriend and the strangers?  Does she really secretly care about her father that much too?  Or, more likely, does she know that her father's power is that far reaching and that he could still have Carl killed, even if he is with the Losties on the other island?  Or did she think Juliette would have killed him right then and there?  (I think I would have given it a shot--haha no pun intended--and just hopped on the boat with them.) 

Offline gakhandal

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Pickett was going to Kill Sawyer and Kate no matter what anyone said to him. He didn't believe Juliette when she told him Ben's orders. Juliette had no choice, Pickett was in her and Ben's way. Juliette couldn't risk Pickett killing Sawyer and Kate, she needed proof that they were alive and well so that Kate would radio in to Jack. If Pickett Killed them, that means she failed Ben. If she failed Ben that means its her head on the line, not to mention her goal to get off the island.

Now about Karl, As Juliette tells Alex, Ben would-could order to kill Karl at anytime, the only way he would survive is if Alex stayed behind. This shows he isn't really needed by the Others. This looks more like a favor for Alex, since Alex is supposedly the [adopted] daughter of Ben and can be useful. Also she isn't completely heartless... I think.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 08:00:26 PM »
This is all just too interesting.

SOL - your theory is/could be very viable.  I don't think the reason that Alex and Karl are not to be together is simply because Ben is a protective father.  He's proven to be quite untraditional in other areas of his life...why be so traditional with Alex.  I do agree, however, that letting Alex go to the Lostie's island would be detrimental if she should run into Rousseau.  BUT, why won't Karl tell Rousseau and all the rest of the Losties of Alex, and the other procedures/protocols/intricate ways of the Others being led by Ben. 

I believe we will truly need a Rousseau flashback, or a BEN flashback to get more information of this strange triangle.  We've had our first "Other" flashback with Juliette...and the only way to go is to get more info about the Others through THEIR flashbacks.  I know we are up for a Jack-centric epi soon...but I really think we will get a Ben flashback (or at least another Other) in the near future. 

I still am not trusting of Juliette.  She killed Pickett...and although  he neede to die I'm sure there is some alterior motive for Juliette (like you all said of her going "home"). 

A prediction:
Alex is a very strong-willed young gal.  She desperately loves Karl and I think she will find a way to get off the smaller island to go find Karl with the Losties. 

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »
What I found interesting is how easily Juliette can kill someone and it doesnt seem to bother her. 3 years before she was tore up over her Ex getting hit by a Bus. Now she can kill without batting an eye. What happened to her in the last 3 years?

Killing seems to come natural to this group.

Exactly!

I realize this is a fictional show on TV, but they are trying to portray it as a wicked reality. Well how many of us have killed someone? (Show of hands please...) NONE (I hope.)...So if we were in an intense situation where it was a do or die...wouldn't you be shaking, crying?? SOMETHING??

I would. (Future Angry Others Camper ;) )

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
What I found interesting is how easily Juliette can kill someone and it doesnt seem to bother her. 3 years before she was tore up over her Ex getting hit by a Bus. Now she can kill without batting an eye. What happened to her in the last 3 years?

Killing seems to come natural to this group.

Exactly!

I realize this is a fictional show on TV, but they are trying to portray it as a wicked reality. Well how many of us have killed someone? (Show of hands please...) NONE (I hope.)...So if we were in an intense situation where it was a do or die...wouldn't you be shaking, crying?? SOMETHING??

I would. (Future Angry Others Camper ;) )
I'm sure that the first three or four people that Juliet killed made her break down and cry afterwards.

If they haven't killed much before, I think they go through some sort of desensitizing traing, sorta like police do.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 01:57:08 AM »
Can we not just make stuff up please. No information that Juliette has killed before.

Juliette can be trusted until her needs change. She will betray the losties at some point.

Offline ChellyKins

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
Can we not just make stuff up please. No information that Juliette has killed before.

Juliette can be trusted until her needs change. She will betray the losties at some point.

I think you're referring to Jon's post, but just in case...I was agreeing with rick...I assumed it was her first "kill" but how she reacted is what i got stumped on lol

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 10:50:16 AM »

I suppose that we have no proof of it, but as Michelle is saying, a person doesn't just kill and walk away. They usually need to be desensetized... There's two major ways of doing it: One, to put them through a training camp, and two, to have them kill.

I'm leaning towards one, personally.

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 11:29:53 AM »
Really if you think about it they really didnt show much of Juliette after they shoved off she might look over at Pickett and see the reality of what she did and start crying.  They may show this or they may not.  Sometimes Lost jumps around a bit and the producers may just leave it open to speculate if Juliette is a cold blooded person (as Sawyer speculated) or is kind hearted as we have seen from flashbacks.  There might be more to her story which has hardened her to be as she is.  Remember in the first episode we see her alone in her house crying so she has had some trauma before the plane crashed and she had this new "company" to deal with.  Her backstory with Ben is the real key to understanding what Juliette is all about and I am sure the they will touch on that, preferrably in a Ben flashback as we need to know more about that dude.  Especially the whole adopting Alex part.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 11:31:55 AM »
Very good points, Fireman.

I personally would go with Sawyer on this. I think he would know what makes a hardened killer, since he transformed into one.