Author Topic: Lip Reading  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Lip Reading
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »
I thought it showed her back to us
so there would be no lip reading involved

We're talking about Ben.

Ok I guess I must not have watched it correctly
I saw Juliettes back to us and Ben's face was down LOL
I'll watch it again and read their lips if I can

There were a couple of shots of Ben's face
Sadly, I can't lip read :(

mindsparkle

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »
I can't read lips either but I do have opinions about what was being said...

Why would Juliet suddenly find Ben creditable and believe a word he says... she's the one that told us what a liar he is... I think instead of the "let me go home" speech that Ben used some sort of blackmail, you do this or I'll do this... and that's what motivated Juliet to do as she was told...

Now why she would lie to Jack? Maybe, because she still needs allies to get her off the island, she has an agenda and after 3+ years she's wised up and knows she has to play the mind game as well if not better than Ben.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 06:13:43 PM »
I agree that she's wised up - she doesn't seem to be the same timid person she was in the flashback - I don't trust Juliette one bit and think she is devious and cold

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »
Juliette also broke down for a moment when talking to Ben, he could of threatened Rachel and Juliette would take him very serous.

Offline daisyrain

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
I agree Juggy, Rachel and her baby could be huge bargaining tools, throw in a trip home and she would have done anything.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 03:11:45 AM »
Juliette also broke down for a moment when talking to Ben, he could of threatened Rachel and Juliette would take him very serous.
This was good.  Great post.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 11:38:10 AM »
I agree, PL... but Juliet doesn't even know if either are alive.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 01:06:02 PM »
We don't know what she knows about her sister. She could of gotten video tapes of her and her sisters kid, we just  don't know

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 01:16:39 PM »
My feeling is that while Juliet wasn't exactly kidnapped, she is being exploited, held against her will, intimidated, or blackmailed in some way.  I'm thinking that the leverage the Others have on her is...

-fear for her life- they killed her Ex
-possible blackmail over ethically ambiguous or inappropriate scientific/ medical research/ practices
-her sister's (& possibly niece/nephew's) life
-emotional exploitation of the "history" with Ben

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »

Not necessarily true.  Of course "They" will have kept tabs on the sister and "They" may have shared some of the info with Juliet.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »
We don't know what she knows about her sister. She could of gotten video tapes of her and her sisters kid, we just  don't know

Not necessarily true.  Of course "They" will have kept tabs on the sister and "They" may have shared some of the info with Juliet.
Good points... So there's a possiblity she isn't sure they're alive, but she probably does know.

My feeling is that while Juliet wasn't exactly kidnapped, she is being exploited, held against her will, intimidated, or blackmailed in some way.  I'm thinking that the leverage the Others have on her is...

-fear for her life- they killed her Ex
-possible blackmail over ethically ambiguous or inappropriate scientific/ medical research/ practices
-her sister's (& possibly niece/nephew's) life
-emotional exploitation of the "history" with Ben
Good post, Jessi... These are probably the primary reasons she stays on the island, plus the fact that she might find it difficult to get off the island without Ben's help.

Offline LOSTBamaGRL

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 06:25:42 AM »
Waiting for spooky to do the transcript on Lost-TV to see if any dialogue was actually written for Ben to say, but I'm glad you asked if anyrone read lips anyway, cuz I was going to ask about this too since we're all so interested in what Ben had to say to Juliet, and what is the "history" between them that Tom was talking about...

I'm still rying to find someone that speaks Korean to translate some of the stuff that Jin says that they don't add subtitles to...

My boyfriend is mostly deaf and uses lip reading and hearing aids to hear.  I will ask him to read what Ben said for me, I didn't even think about it til I read this post....  It is a very handy skill to have.....

Also, I have a friend who translates the untranslated Korean for me so if you ever have questions feel free to ask me..... 

It's really sad that I am so obsessed with this show that I seriously ask people to translate stuff for me all the time......  I act like it is life or death to know every single word......

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 10:01:49 AM »
That is great! Love to see what he picks up with the lip reading. It is probably them discussing where they are going out to dinner.

Offline apriori

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
That is great! Love to see what he picks up with the lip reading. It is probably them discussing where they are going out to dinner.

Even if we get a perfect idea of what he's saying, I doubt that it'll be really valuable, because there are only a few short shots of him. I don't think he'll be saying something like, "The island is actually Pergutory"

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 02:32:40 PM »
I like the theory that Ben could have been threatening her with Rachel or her baby.  It goes along with how I swear that he said "baby."  Oh, and it makes sense.

I believe Juliet when she says that Ben promised that he would let her go home.  I just think there's more to it.