Author Topic: Ethan in opening segment....  (Read 11795 times)

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Ethan in opening segment....
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 02:01:48 PM »
Guess it's not so hard to believe they could crash a plane with a doctor on it then ;)

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
I believe that Juliette's sister stated that she had a blood test to confirm it or was getting a blood test. Ethan could have easily seen the blood test results or done them himself in the hospital. No need for the Bond-style surveillance.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 03:23:06 PM »
I agree with Joy, Rick and Juggy... I don't think it was Bond-like surveillance, but more of a nosy-neighbor type to keep tabs on Juliet's sister... They probably knew that Juliet was using her as the guinea pig with the test substance and by monitoring her success, they were able to finally approach her about a free, all expenses paid job in not-so-Portland.

P.S. Ethan is still creepy, dead or alive...

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
Don't mistake Fate/Coincidence for conspiracy.

Things have always just seemed to happen to our players in order to bring them together on the island. 

I doubt that someone was following Hurley around, inducing a heart attack in grandpa, pushing a businessman off a building, lightning...METEORS!?!?  Walt reads a comic book with a Polar Bear and suddenly one appears.

All of these characters have similar stories that seem too coincidental to believe.

I think the sister just got pregnant on the same day as the interview and that's that.  I don't even think the recruiters caused the bus crash.  Imagine the difficulty of staging such a thing.  The bus was hauling ass at the precise moment he stepped of the curb, and it was a public bus.  Now, if an unmarked van followed him and eventually ran him over, I can see that as being a "hit".

Rather than try to discover the ways that a sinister corporate entity could've conspired to orchestrate all of these events which brought these people together for some unknown purpose, I choose to believe that it's simply fate.  The island and the people connected are tapped into the Luck Plane*. 

"The island brought us here"

The Others have been there long enough to know how to exploit this.  They help enable the events as best they can, but they don't make all of this happen.

* As in a metaphysical plane, not an airplane.

Offline LOSTBamaGRL

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »
Totally agree with this line of thinking, Ethan was set up next door with Surveillance equipment, cameras and listening devices. Plus maybe enter the apartment and check things out when there gone.  Seems more feasible to me.

I totally agree that he was set up next door to listen.....I just think there is a possiblity the sister is not pregnant and that they might have had something to do with it.  But, she could also be pregnant.  Never know I was just throwing the possibility out there because obviously whenever those people are involved things aren't always as they seem....  But they knew she couldn't take her sister to the island, and I think they know she wouldn't have gone willingly if she were still trying to help her sister get pregnant.  So an easy solution would be for her sister to get pregnant or at least think she was....  It was just a theory but I'm not swearing on it or anything.....lol.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
Who was the dude with Ethan trying to recruit her at the morgue.  He was wearing eye linar no doubt a friend of Tom's
That's NESTOR CARBONELL, and believe me, his eyelashes are REALLY thick naturally.

I just can't imagine the logistics of a male ANYTHING being pregnant... (and don't mention seahorses.)
[Caboose]What if they have only a couple of animals, and the female is really sick and weak for carring the babies? They could spawn them from the male. Then the kids would call their parents something likeee... Mod and Dam[/Caboose]

And all this discution made me remember that ETHAN took care of pregnant Claire at the Staff Station.

Offline kang

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »
new here, and maybe i'm a little late, but don't you think that Julliettes sister is really her brother, post sex change?  i mean, why else would she have inpregnated a male lab rat, and why would her research be so important to her ex husband? and why would it be so amazing that her sister got pregnant anyway?? again, maybe y'all covered this and i'm late, just wanted to chime in....

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 05:27:03 PM »
new here, and maybe i'm a little late, but don't you think that Julliettes sister is really her brother, post sex change?  i mean, why else would she have inpregnated a male lab rat, and why would her research be so important to her ex husband? and why would it be so amazing that her sister got pregnant anyway?? again, maybe y'all covered this and i'm late, just wanted to chime in....

Someone I watched with said that, too.  I have a hard time with that line of thinking, though.  I thought it could have been health problems or her physical condition that should have made it impossible.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »
Actually that did cross my mind, but I dismissed it I guess...I figured it was a dying wish look like she had cancer.

Offline gmstudio

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 06:12:30 PM »
Has anyone who's taken a Widmore Preggo Test actually given birth?

Maybe they give false positives.

A lot.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 06:14:06 PM »
Still there is a really weird background here. If Rachel is a born female, where's the father? How she is planning to carry a baby in the middle of a treatment (dude, why she is BALD? Radiotherapy? And she wants a baby in middle of it, or just getting off it? Or worst, after the therapy failed?)?
Although, if she was a bald guy before, THEN the male pregnancy that Juliette got, and mostly, the titanic interest of her ex-husband in her success with "her sister" fits perfectly.
So I am 95% with the sex changing brother in my mind, because no other possibility is so flawless.

Offline kang

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 06:14:51 PM »
I just feel like they stressed the cancer appearance to make us believe that her research must be somehow related to cancer, kind of keep you from thinking outside of that box.  I think it would be far too coincidental to have discussed her successful impregnation of a male animal, and not be related to her "sisters" experimental treatment...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 06:33:12 PM »
Has anyone who's taken a Widmore Preggo Test actually given birth?

Maybe they give false positives.

A lot.
Kate got a negative.

Just curious... did we ever see CLAIRE'S preg test? Was it Widmore?

Still there is a really weird background here. If Rachel is a born female, where's the father? How she is planning to carry a baby in the middle of a treatment (dude, why she is BALD? Radiotherapy? And she wants a baby in middle of it, or just getting off it? Or worst, after the therapy failed?)?
Although, if she was a bald guy before, THEN the male pregnancy that Juliette got, and mostly, the titanic interest of her ex-husband in her success with "her sister" fits perfectly.
So I am 95% with the sex changing brother in my mind, because no other possibility is so flawless.
I think this is the reason Juliet kept asking if she wanted to stop~Because of the cancer and treatments.

Plus, she NEVER CARRIED THE MALE RAT TO TERM. Think about a Male giving birth.

Ouch.

Not gonna happen very easily.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 12:11:22 PM »
Think about a Male giving birth.

Ouch.

Not gonna happen very easily.
none of them are "easy" they all hurt.  it's called a c-section.  many women have them. 

i hadn't really thought about rachel being a man.  hmmm....  interesting.  the whole male lab rat to sister with cancer, i didn't really "get" the correlation.  if the rat had cancer, maybe.  i don't understand why you would try and impregnate someone with cancer (or anything else that has decreased immunity).  the treatments, the drugs, the lowered immunity, it would be hard for a NORMAL pregnancy to be carried to term, and next to impossible for the baby to be born healthy.  i just don't get it.  even if she was a he, wouldn't juliet want to do the experiment on a HEALTHY man.  rachel was not healthy.  makes me wonder if the treatments to impregnate her somehow made her sick/lose hair/etc.  i think there is a lot more to this story.

ps  this is one of the reasons why i gave this epi a 9.  it answered questions, but left us wanting so much more of juliet's backstory.  loved it.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 12:25:55 PM »
I assumed that the baldness was a side-effect of Juliet's treatment.  I thought she mentioned this is one of the conversations.