Author Topic: Premature aging?  (Read 11477 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Premature aging?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 02:37:13 PM »
I think what's important is that Juliet could tell (by her expertise in fertility) that the "x-ray/image/scan" showed the characteristics of an aged woman and that the Other doctor expected her to.

Let's not get too crazy and analyze this to death! ;D

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
It was most likely an MRI. Soft-tissue details show up better in MRI's than CT scans. I'll have to go back and look at a screen-cap to be sure, but my money is on MRI. I've seen hundreds of them and they do show quite a bit of detail about soft tissues.

Another point to consider is that as we age, connective tissue (the tissue that holds other tissues together) gradually becomes stiffer, more inflexible, and loses some of its matrix (ground substance). This is partly due to an increase in collagen deposition in the tissue. Also, as the uterus ages fibroids are more likely to be formed. Fibroids show up very well in MRI scans.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000914.htm

mindsparkle

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »
My point to all this is that I don't think Juliet made her diagnoses based on the uterus... she saw a pregnant uterus in a 70 year old body... I think she was looking at other easier parts to determine age...

You all have very valid points, but even a 20 year old can have fibroids... I just think it's impossible to determine an age of a woman based on her uterus through imaging... they would have to take into account other body attributes...

I could be so very wrong and will bow humbly before the forum gods if so... but I feel pretty strongly about this and think we are missing the point, not that the uterus was old but that people are prematurely aging...

mindsparkle

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 02:49:26 PM »
Oh, and forgot to add, that if the body is prematurely aging perhaps it can't carry a baby to term and the fetus ends up aborted naturally...

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2007, 03:11:03 PM »
Sorry but I have to disagree. Age related changes to reproductive organs like the uterus are very easy to identify. A med student could do it.

The percentage of 20 year olds with a fibroid concentration that would make the uterus look like that of a 70 year old is most likely less than 1%.

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »
ultrasound... looked like an ultrasound to me.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2007, 03:15:01 PM »
Paging Dr. Pandy and Dr. Goober...

Anyway, I think nothingbutsky is right in that it might have just been to show viewers that Juliet was an expert in her field, being a famed geius fertility doctor and all...

But otherse would care to differ and say that it is another clue surrorting the theory that the others cannot reproduce and that's why children are so important. I've also heard/read someone else try to argue the whole fountain of youth theory thing saying something along the lines of their bodies being incapable of holding/developping a child because of the worn down endometirum walls or whatever which would be in accordance with the title of this thread, premature aging...

I have no clue what it means, just that Juliet is a good fertility doctor, which was why se was on the island in the first place...

mindsparkle

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »
Okay, I'll give this up and won't argue anymore... but one last thing...

most fibroids develop during childbearing years and shrink after menopause... so a 20 year old could have a larger concentration of fibroid tissue than say a 70 year old.

I asked the only authority I know of... my father-in-law, a mortician (LOL) and he said in doing an autopsy that the changes in women's uterus' often are a change in color and suppleness, but not something he would think you could detect from an x-ray/image but rather through observation or biopsy... I know he's a mortician... I tried!!  Give me credit for something!!

Nuf said, I'll take my uterus and go rake my yard and get off this soap box...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:08:46 PM by mindsparkle »

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2007, 04:05:34 PM »
Yes it is... it's a valid argument that's inspired people to talk so give yourself some credit ms. mindsparkle!!!

We're all here enjoying all sorts of crazy theories and speculations anyway so there's no such thing as right or wrong... nonsesne or what not... they're just fun topics to ponder while entertaining ourselves with the show...

C'mon, some people still think Kelvin and Christian are still alive ;)

mindsparkle

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »
Let's enjoy speculating... it's why I come here...  thanks for the wake up, Piglet!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:09:21 PM by mindsparkle »

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 04:42:05 PM »
Dudes, what a silly argue... That post closed this topic for me. Go Goober!!!

It was most likely an MRI. Soft-tissue details show up better in MRI's than CT scans. I'll have to go back and look at a screen-cap to be sure, but my money is on MRI. I've seen hundreds of them and they do show quite a bit of detail about soft tissues.

Another point to consider is that as we age, connective tissue (the tissue that holds other tissues together) gradually becomes stiffer, more inflexible, and loses some of its matrix (ground substance). This is partly due to an increase in collagen deposition in the tissue. Also, as the uterus ages fibroids are more likely to be formed. Fibroids show up very well in MRI scans.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000914.htm

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 04:50:54 PM »
Sorry I don't think that anything that Mindsparkle posts can be considered a silly argue ;)
I for one would like to know the theory that is rolling around in your head mindsparkle

mindsparkle

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks, for asking...

My sorta-not-yet-put-together theory...

I think that the island is a very special place and it gives people whatever they think, be it negative or positive... the writers last night on the lost guide said the island tested them... so perhaps, the island gives them what the island thinks they need to better themselves; I don't know?  I do believe the island has tried to help the losties... showing them where the water was, the hatch (maybe the island wanted the hatch stopped)... Kate needing to see the horse so she could feel good again or know that something in the world is working for her...

Anyway, I believe this is in part why Ben needed Jack to want to operate and be successful, because the island would support that idea and work with Jack. It's also why the other's couldn't go and get the losties... the island would have interfered somehow.... mind you this isn't well thought out.

Meanwhile, there can be a negative side to living on the island and I think it can cause premature aging or disease or other conditions based on how the people live their lives and what their beliefs and thoughts are... Rousseau needed to be a little loony in order to survive all this time...  Sawyer is so negative and so was Shannon that the island didn't help either of them with their conditions... yet Rose was cured, or at least her pain is gone because of her deep faith and optimism...

Also, time is an issue on the island... I don't think it's been 16 years since Rousseau landed on the beach... but I don't know why or how to explain how I feel about this part, yet... and it has something to do with premature aging, maybe... still rolling it around in the gray matter!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: 20 something yr old
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 05:50:09 PM »
Well if they said the lady was 26 and that was 3+ yrs ago...29 could mean Kate. She was the one taking the pregnancy test before she took off...right?? Would explain why they put her and Sawyer in the situation they were in...so they could test out this fertility theory.

Not sure.

How would they have gotten Kate in order to take a (whatever type of scan or ultrasound or whatever that was) of her womb if she'd been running for the last ten years?

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »
Nah, it's a easy conclusion that magnetic resonance could be the tomography source, and that's not a x-ray CLEARLY. X-rays shows up like a picture of something that the "light" went trough instead reflecting the surface. The images were from SLICES, And the endometrium really gets thinner when the hormones stop the monthly development of the females period. FIRST the ovaries suffer atrophy, then with the time the inner of 3 layers of uterus too. By the difference between the outer and inner layers is easy on a MRI to guess the point of period the woman is, and on older woman for how much time she stopped to have it. No big mystery.
About this 16 years... I more and more am thinking that a calculation made in seconds using a guessing of the lenght of a message, and how much times it was repeated wasn't a very trustful one. We don't even know how much time have passed since the french team arrived and Danielle started to broadcast. Alex can even be 20.