Author Topic: Premature aging?  (Read 11483 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: 20 something yr old
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 12:38:18 AM »
If her womb is aged to 70 years... Maybe it's the lady that Juliet opened the door for when she burned her hand back in Epi 1?

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 12:39:51 AM »
Im going to go ahead and assume it's an other based on the cast aways could have been anyone... why need one specific person for a kid.

They kidnap kids, they could very easily have fertility issues.

Also, an interesting not, in season 3 x 1, when the plane crashes and all the others come to the common area, you never see any kids... they are all adults... fertilitycontinuing their existence seems to be an ongoing issue.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
Up until the sky turned purple they weren't having any problems communicating with the outside world. Juliet came in three years ago. I doubt they have problems with extinction.

mindsparkle

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 01:51:24 AM »
I think they definitely have fertility problems and the reason may be but one of the problems but not necessarily so they can start producing babies...

perhaps they are an experimental group and in order to move forward with some global project they have to fix this one faulty area.. it causes people to age internally, and maybe externally, faster than they would normally...

the group of others don't necessarily need to bare children but to move the experiment further they have to overcome this one critical hurdle so that they can control populations...

Also, they probably take the children to watch their aging process and try to see what genetic changes are happening in their bodies...

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 06:28:38 AM »
The whole fertility aging thing still doesn't make sense to me in relation to the Others.  If there is an aging problem then why live on the island?  I could understand if there was a possibility of the rest of the world being destroyed and the island having the only life on earth, but season 2 finale showed that there is an outside world.  Biologically, I don't see how a womb can age faster than the rest of a woman.  And I don't think the actual people are aging any differently.  It's a big leap for a 26 year old to age 44 years.  The Others would be showing signs of aging by now, such as Juliet who we've now observed pre- and post-island.

Offline ChellyKins

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Well if they said the lady was 26 and that was 3+ yrs ago...29 could mean Kate. She was the one taking the pregnancy test before she took off...right?? Would explain why they put her and Sawyer in the situation they were in...so they could test out this fertility theory.

Not sure.

mindsparkle

Premature aging?
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »
A uterus is soft tissue and soft tissue can't show aging on an x-ray, so maybe Juliet was able to detect the woman's age by her skeleton... it was the skeleton of a 70 year old pregnant woman that was actually only 26... so the problem would be premature aging... not just an old womb

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Premature aging?
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »
I just commented in the other thread to you about this! LOL

Are we sure it was xrays and not some other form of imaging?  I would think if their bones were that age then the 26 year old would look that age right? 

I just don't know enough about this topic to debate it at this time.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 02:14:38 PM »
"...after menopause, the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries become smaller..."

I guess the uterus in the xray was sorta dried up!

mindsparkle

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I don't think it matters what kind of imaging it is... it wasn't an MRI... soft tissue just doesn't show that much detail in pictures, meaning enough detail to tell what age it is... and uterus' at 70 look the same as they do at 26 unless you have fibroids or some other problem that grows/develops with age... a pregnant uterus would look the same 26 or 70

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 02:15:48 PM »
this was definately not an xray... it looks like a ct scan which does show soft tissue

mindsparkle

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »
"...after menopause, the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries become smaller..."

I guess the uterus in the xray was sorta dried up!

become smaller but not that noticeable on an image like that... and a pregnant uterus is going to be whatever size it needs to be to accommodate the fetus... maybe if they looked at the ovaries... they would be almost non-existent but with an enlarged uterus I'm not sure they can see the ovaries... and young women often have uterus' that are out of the ordinary and cause them fertility problems or not...

mindsparkle

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »
this was definately not an xray... it looks like a ct scan which does show soft tissue

and what does old soft tissue look like when it is stretched to accommodate a fetus?

mindsparkle

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
We need an OBGYN doc... anyone in the house?

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
LOL!!  Calling ob/gyn's!!

The reason I asked is because I thought it look like a ct scan, and they do show tissue.  That's how the pinpointed my fathers aneurism.