Author Topic: Ben having surgery on island  (Read 5427 times)

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ben having surgery on island
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:12 PM »
Hey everyone - there's a big question that I've been going over in my head for weeks now and i just wanted to know what you all think about it. Why would Ben decide to stay on the island to have his surgery done? Look at what happened with Colleen - they didn't even have a crash cart to try and revive her with. That obviously wouldn't boost your confidence in either the doctor or the facilities. So I'm thinking that there is absolutely no way off the island; they sent Michael and Walt on a wild goose chase when they sent them off following 325 on the compass. If it was possible to leave, don't you think that Ben would want to have this done in a real hospital? As oppose to having the man he is holding captive perform spinal surgery on him?
He said to Jack '2 days after I learned I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon falls from the sky' - so he's known about this for over 2 months. That is plenty of time to arrange a visit to the nearest hospital - really, it can only be so far away. Unless you can't get there...
So, what do you think?
Does Ben actually trust Jack? He most likely knows about Jack's patient history - saving Sarah when she should have been paralyzed, maybe even about how he saved Charlie (after he was hanging). Does he believe that this random doctor is going to do everything in his power to save him?
Or is there no way to get off the island and Ben just knows it's either this surgery or a fairly quick death?

Offline snowyjoe

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Ben having surgery on island
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »
good question..... but i suppose ..due to theories.... if the island dissapears for 3 years...then ends up at a certain point after the time interval....ben might no tbe alive...

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
Hey everyone - there's a big question that I've been going over in my head for weeks now and i just wanted to know what you all think about it. Why would Ben decide to stay on the island to have his surgery done? Look at what happened with Colleen - they didn't even have a crash cart to try and revive her with. That obviously wouldn't boost your confidence in either the doctor or the facilities. So I'm thinking that there is absolutely no way off the island; they sent Michael and Walt on a wild goose chase when they sent them off following 325 on the compass. If it was possible to leave, don't you think that Ben would want to have this done in a real hospital? As oppose to having the man he is holding captive perform spinal surgery on him?
He said to Jack '2 days after I learned I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon falls from the sky' - so he's known about this for over 2 months. That is plenty of time to arrange a visit to the nearest hospital - really, it can only be so far away. Unless you can't get there...
So, what do you think?
Does Ben actually trust Jack? He most likely knows about Jack's patient history - saving Sarah when she should have been paralyzed, maybe even about how he saved Charlie (after he was hanging). Does he believe that this random doctor is going to do everything in his power to save him?
Or is there no way to get off the island and Ben just knows it's either this surgery or a fairly quick death?

Ben did say Not even God (furniture and hosue builders and sub dleivery people seem to ebe able to though) can find this island.
so no no way off.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:25:13 PM »
That's an excellent point GJ.  I'm glad you're back.  Juliet is clearly very unhappy about something.  If she could resign her position and go home she probably would.  Instead she says she wants to kill Ben.  Maybe there really is no way off.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »
That's an excellent point GJ.  I'm glad you're back.  Juliet is clearly very unhappy about something.  If she could resign her position and go home she probably would.  Instead she says she wants to kill Ben.  Maybe there really is no way off.

other than death no don't think so not yet anyway.  Maybe she will just kill ben off for us.Great to be posting with ya again SOL>

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »
So, what do you think?

Ben did say Not even God (furniture and hosue builders and sub dleivery people seem to ebe able to though) can find this island.
so no no way off.
UNLESS he was saying that to discourage our LOSTies... We can't trust much that he said when he was with the Losties.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »
So, what do you think?

so no no way off.
UNLESS he was saying that to discourage our LOSTies... We can't trust much that he said when he was with the Losties.

NO by Juliet's attitude formwhen we first met her and realized she was on the sland  I really don't think they can get off the island.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:40:05 PM »
So, what do you think?

so no no way off.

NO by Juliet's attitude formwhen we first met her and realized she was on the sland  I really don't think they can get off the island.
You might be right... but I'm not sure. They obviously have gotten supplies from off-island.

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »
That hasn't even crossed my mind in a long time JB... they've had those supplies dropped onto the island from something -> the obvious thing is to think a plane right? So if those people can find the island, why can't 'God himself'? And also, the info they have, the movie of the world series - where do those come from? Ya, the papers could be faxed but what about that movie...
Good point though, I had forgotten all about that air drop with the food.
Is there maybe some weird thing where planes and/or items can get over/to the island but once you are actually on it, then you can't get off? Far fetched, but then again, what about this show isn't?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »
The drops and the airplane crashing occured during a lockdown or a failure to press the button. This allows the island to be seen. I think now that the hatch is down, maybe no one can get off the island. They could at special times before but not now. That is a new theory

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:22 PM »
Maybe they all have the "sickness" and are stuck there forever.  Danielle killed her party because "what if we were rescued?"  She also said "They are the carriers."  Maybe if the sickness got off the island mankind would become extinct because everyone in the world would become sterile.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »
That could be true. But Danielle would not know that rescue was not coming. I am undecided if there really is a sickness, or if the sickness may be more psychological then physical illness.

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »
As to the theory that the lockdowns allow the island to be seen Jug, the hatch wasn't blown 2 months ago and that's when Ben found out about his tumor. If he could have somehow arranged a lockdown to leave the island (according to the theory) that would have been plenty of time. But in keeping with that idea, that would mean that the others would have to be in contact with the people in the hatch (ie Kelvin and Desmond) everytime that they needed supplies dropped. And if doesn't seem like they are in contact with them at all. 

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »
Ok, if the sickness means that you are sterile, that would certainly account for the lack of children on the island. And why the others are so interested in baby snatching.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
That hasn't even crossed my mind in a long time JB...
Good point though, I had forgotten all about that air drop with the food.
Not only that, but they have gotten Televisions, a recording of the Red Sox game within a couple weeks of it happening, and quite a few other things, assumably. You can't drop a video tape from a plane or it will be destroyed. It must have been delivered by boat or something else.

My theory for why Des couldn't get off the island? He was travelling "due West" or something like that. However, he was following a compass. He actually travelled in a big circle, because the compass north  near the island doesn't line up with true compass north. As he got further away from the island, the magnetic pull got weaker and the needle turned towards true north. Following his "West" direction, he would make one large circle.