Author Topic: Benry has all the power!  (Read 1996 times)

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Benry has all the power!
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:12:56 AM »
Ok, to start off with, I fricken LOVE Henry Gale. I think he is one of the most fantastic characters I have seen on any tv show in a really long time. Just the way that he is portrayed, so cold and manipulative... I can't get enough of it!
So with that out of the way, who else loves the fact that Benry has absolute power over ALL the others? Perhaps with the exception of Juliet, they all seem ready to drop their lives on a whim and do what he says. "Goodwin... you run, you can make that shore in an hour." "Ethan, get up there to that fuselage, there may actually be survivors - and your one of them." No questions asked, no ifs ands or buts. "Listen, learn but don't get involved. I want lists in 3 days. GO!" And so they go, fast as they can. Why is Henry the all mighty? And why does it seem like Juliet is the only one that it bothers? Ex-lovers? Sibling rivalry?
Also on this note, if he has people willing to do his every command, why do you suppose he was that far out in the jungle the day that Danielle captured him? I assume he knew at this point that Jack was a spinal surgeon (he says "2 days after I find out I have a tumor, a spinal surgeon falls out of the sky) and he was probably trying to lure Jack in to save his own life. But why did he go to find him by himself? Was Benry intentionally trying to get caught? Was he trying to find out more info about the losties? What info could he be looking for that he wouldn't already have? I mean, they have an entire folder on Jacks life... his dad's autopsy report for gosh sakes. What else could he have been looking for?

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Benry has all the power!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »
I love Michael Emerson.  I don't like Ben yet.  The trouble with having all the power is that someone will try to overthrow your reign.  He didn't want to discuss his condition with Jack in front of Juliet, even though she already knew he has a tumor.  He can't afford to let all the Others know that he is ill, so he's protecting his privacy and his power base.  He couldn't risk involving too many people because they would then know how vulnerable he is.  So he took matters into his own hands and went out to find Jack himself.  I'm sure the Others are aware of his tumor, but they don't have to know that he is scared.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »
I think he went because it was such a personal mission for Ben. He wanted to make the right decision and evaluate the interaction of the losties. This was his own life in balance and he wanted to figure out the best approach.

This Jacob may have more power than Ben. We will have to wait and see.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:34:59 PM »
You are right. Benry is the perfect "bad guy." I wouldn't say that everyone is ready to wait on his beck and call, but the OTHERs generally trust Ben.

Or at least they did until episode 6 of season 3.

Now we have a dissenter trying to murder one of the prisoners, a mutineer trying to kill her capitan...

What's going to happen now?

As to your question, VERY good question. What WAS Benry after? Even more important, why did he wait so long? According to Jack, Benry should have been in surgery much sooner. I can't imagine that Ben didn't know that.

So why did he wait so long? My theory is that he was waiting for someone else to give him the "go-ahead." He never got it, and instead, on his own accord, tried to find and kidnap the leader of the LOSTies. (He said he was going after Locke, but it's more probable that he wanted Jack). That didn't happen according to plan, so he had a Judas do his dirty work (Michael).

Was he going after more info? I doubt it. I think he was coming for Jack. He was too impatient to sit there and wait for HIM to allow him to get Jack.

Just my theory. What do you guys think?