Author Topic: Who Do You Miss?  (Read 179806 times)

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Miss?
« Reply #2280 on: November 20, 2007, 07:02:35 AM »
fried biscuits..... now biscuits are like bready cakes right??

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: November 20, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »
like those biscuits that come in pop-n-fresh cans....
but yeah bready round thingies...some are buttermilk, some more flakey...

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: November 20, 2007, 07:19:27 AM »
OK I rememebr them.... ok here's one... 'splain me grits... I never understood...

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: November 20, 2007, 07:27:23 AM »
Grits is a type of corn porridge and a food common in the Southern United States consisting of coarsely ground corn. This is similar to many other thick maize-based porridges from around the world such as polenta. It also has a lesser resemblance to farina, a thinner porridge.

some eat it with sugar and syrup, some use salt....I like it with my eggs, but then I like to mix my foods when I eat...

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: November 20, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »
porridge... ok that makes more sense... so biscuits grits n gravy can be savoury? I always struggled getting my head round that cos biscuits are like hard cookies over here, porridge is more often sweet breakfasty type stuff and gravy is brown and beefy... wierd combo....

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: November 20, 2007, 07:36:29 AM »
well they have for breakfast a white gravy, usually with small bits of pork sausage in it...
the grits are sorta close to malt-o-meal...which is I think just a thinner consistancy...and yeah they have so many flavors now..cinnimon, apple...what have you...lol

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »
still sounds wierd....

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: November 20, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »
soooo....jalapeno cornbread is out of the question?

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »
BABY - jalapeno anything is always a hit in our house

('cept chocolate coated... bleurgh)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: November 20, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »
Becks- I think American biscuits are more like British scones.  Flour, baking powder, salt, butter, buttermilk... Does that make sense?

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: November 26, 2007, 08:30:06 AM »
Becks- I think American biscuits are more like British scones.  Flour, baking powder, salt, butter, buttermilk... Does that make sense?

sure does.... i guess we can have sweet or savoury scones too... fair enough...

Thanks

I miss McFly btw...

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: November 26, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »
I miss everyone - mostly 'cause I haven't been around!

If you need a UK/US translation, just let me know, I've been lucky enough to live on both sides of the pond. 

FYI - Biscuits in the US are cookies (sweet) or crackers (savoury).  US biscuits are rarely sweet, almost always like a savoury scone.  If they're sweet, Yanks will actually call them scones (i.e. see available pastries at Starbucks).  Grits are like semolina, I have seen them in the EU with the name Farine du Mais.  Best with butter and salt (some add cheese or bacon).  Best breakfast in the world:  Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits and a crumpet (or English muffin if crumpets not available) with proper cultured butter (hard to find and expensive in the States).

What I miss when living in the States:  Brighton Rock, cream scones, bangers and mash, Edinburgh Rock, good take away, proper tea in the afternoon.  Happy though, now that we get Kim and Aggie on the telly.

I promise to be around more when the season starts!!!!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: November 26, 2007, 01:26:41 PM »
I miss everyone - mostly 'cause I haven't been around!

If you need a UK/US translation, just let me know, I've been lucky enough to live on both sides of the pond. 

FYI - Biscuits in the US are cookies (sweet) or crackers (savoury).  US biscuits are rarely sweet, almost always like a savoury scone.  If they're sweet, Yanks will actually call them scones (i.e. see available pastries at Starbucks).  Grits are like semolina, I have seen them in the EU with the name Farine du Mais.  Best with butter and salt (some add cheese or bacon).  Best breakfast in the world:  Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits and a crumpet (or English muffin if crumpets not available) with proper cultured butter (hard to find and expensive in the States).

What I miss when living in the States:  Brighton Rock, cream scones, bangers and mash, Edinburgh Rock, good take away, proper tea in the afternoon.  Happy though, now that we get Kim and Aggie on the telly.

I promise to be around more when the season starts!!!!
i miss hurleysgirl!!!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: November 26, 2007, 01:31:10 PM »
Grits are the grossest food ever invented. I can not believe anyone eats that crap.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: November 26, 2007, 01:32:59 PM »
Grits are the grossest food ever invented. I can not believe anyone eats that crap.

Sorry jugs, grits rule, just like the Saints (covering her head and running away!!!!)