Author Topic: "How the hell did she get over here"..."I want to talk to Ben"...  (Read 10317 times)

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
..."Did Alex ask about me?"...."No, we took her home last night."

To me, these 4 lines were the most interesting of the episode.  The first two were heard when Alex stormed the work site.  The second two was an exchange between Juliet and Benry right before he went under for surgery.

I'm interested in them for a few reasons.  First, the fact that Benry's lieutenants appear to be lying because Alex clearly asked for Ben. Why they're lying, I have no idea.   

Second, I think it's very interesting that Alex was able to get to the 2nd island without anyone knowing (so you can get back and forth by some other means than swimming the English Channel is possible), and also that that she wasn't supposed to be there.  Clearly, there is more of a rigid heirarchy to the Others than we know about. It appears that certain Others are stationed on the main island, and another group is stationed on the 2nd island.  It also appears that some Others don't have clearance to be with the group stationed on the 2nd island.  The question is, what is this main island Others tribe doing? Who is running them since Mr. Friendly has been chilling on Island #2 for a while? Where are they stationed?  What relationship do they have with Benry/Juliet/Tom, etc? 

I think we had speculated that there could be multiple outposts of Others, but this seems to clearly confirm it.  Maybe that explains why those Others on the main island seem so different (barefoot, raggy clothes, dirty) than the Others we saw at the book group on the day of the crash, and now interacting with Sawyer, Kate and Jack after capture.

Thoughts?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: "How the hell did she get over here"..."I want to talk to Ben"...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:56 AM »
There are some assumptions made here. Juliette said that she Alex was sent home. We do not know which island that is. Also Alex asked said she wanted to see Ben to the guys not to Juliette. So she did not know she asked about them. If my memory is correct.

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:25:27 AM »
There are some assumptions made here. Juliette said that she Alex was sent home. We do not know which island that is. Also Alex asked said she wanted to see Ben to the guys not to Juliette. So she did not know she asked about them. If my memory is correct.
Both of your comments are true and your memory is correct.  But neither is a significant assumptive leap on my part.  Clearly Tom wouldn't have said "how the hell did she get over here" if she lived "over here".  It wouldn't make sense.  And notice he didn't say "what the hell is she doing here" as if maybe to imply she just wasn't allowed on that part of the island.  The "how did she get over here" clearly suggests (albeit not 100% conclusively) that she isn't supposed to be on the island at all. If you accept that premise, her home must be on the main island. it wouldn't make sense otherwise. And since the only times we've seen her are hiding in the bushes on the 2nd island (never by the cages out in the open) or on the main island, there is certainly good circumstantial evidence that she is not supposed to be there.

As for her request, you are right she made it to Tom and not Juliet, but there would be no reason to put that line from Juliet in if it didn't mean anything.  Juliet could easily have said "I don't know" or, more likely, the writers wouldn't have included it if Juliet was just making pointless banter.  Tom and Juliet talk.  Juliet was clearly up to speed on what had happened to Alex after the scene at the work site.  I would say it is very likely (again, not 100% conclusive, as you say) that either Tom told Juliet what happened, a camera was on the worksite as the whole island seems to be under surveillance, or Juliet actually spoke to Alex before she was shipped off, and Alex repeated her demand.

It's pretty hard to make any connections in this show without some basic assumptions. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:31:34 AM by dcnole »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:28:04 AM »
You may be correct. You make a strong arguement. It would support what they showed us last week with Juliette wanting Jack to kill Ben. She with held information because she wanted him to have the surgery

Offline dcnole

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »
You may be correct. You make a strong arguement. It would support what they showed us last week with Juliette wanting Jack to kill Ben. She with held information because she wanted him to have the surgery
Exactly. And it also fits in with the Jacob notion. If Benry is disobeying Jacob (whoever Jacob is) in some way, this might give us Juliet's motive for wanting Ben gone.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 12:35:35 AM »
Exactly. And it also fits in with the Jacob notion. If Benry is disobeying Jacob (whoever Jacob is) in some way, this might give us Juliet's motive for wanting Ben gone.

Excellent, Especially if Jacob is someone not on the island. If he is trying to run things from the mainland then he would not know exactly what Ben is up to. So maybe Juliette is loyal to Jacob. I like it.

mindsparkle

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 12:40:29 AM »
Just a nit picking point but I don't think anyone lives on the Hydra station island... I think it's a lab and they are using it to work on KSJ... when they leave they will all probably go back to the main island...

The only thing that makes me doubt this is when Kate was telling Jack that they were being made to work she added it was something big... like maybe a runway???

mindsparkle

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 12:42:15 AM »
Oh, and meanwhile, I'm liking the direction you all are going with this theory... sounds very plausable to me... I didn't hear the name Jacob, I must have missed that part but I'm picking it up throught your conversation...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 12:42:58 AM »
Runway is interesting idea. They had the big shower area, but that could just be clean up before you go back to the village.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 12:47:30 AM »
wow, it seems that I got a completely different impression about Alex...it seemed pretty clear to me that she was working with the Others to convince Kate that they would kill Sawyer. She is just working them!

Who storms a prison camp with a slingshot??? Oh yeah, someone that believes that all those people with guns are cold blooded killers...that's who!

...on a side note...I also felt that Ben's remarks were that of a father asking about an estranged child. Maybe Ben raised her as his own but they had a falling out?

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »
i think that s fairly large group are staying on the hydra island at this point and it has to be equipped to handle a fair sized  crew from the days when they were experimenting on the animals

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 12:50:02 AM »
wow, it seems that I got a completely different impression about Alex...it seemed pretty clear to me that she was working with the Others to convince Kate that they would kill Sawyer. She is just working them!

Who storms a prison camp with a slingshot??? Oh yeah, someone that believes that all those people with guns are cold blooded killers...that's who!

...on a side note...I also felt that Ben's remarks were that of a father asking about an estranged child. Maybe Ben raised her as his own but they had a falling out?

agreed 100%

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 12:50:19 AM »

It sounded like ALex talking to Jack on the intercom

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:06 AM »
i think that Jack getting out was all part of the plan to get him to do the surgery

they were watching kate and sawyer the whole time  ( the lucky bastards )

so they knew when to let jack out and knew it would be easy to find the Op's room

the gun is a chance  Ben has taken before
he is shrewed

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 12:55:20 AM »
When will the video of Kate and sawyer make you tube! The one Ben has that is.