Author Topic: the title of the episode  (Read 5790 times)

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
the title of the episode
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:09:06 PM »
The title of the episode is "The Cost of Living". I naturally assumed, judging by the title, that one or more people in the episode would survive something, which would then lead them to an even worse situation. However, the central character of 305, Eko, is killed.

That gets me thinking. Who does "living" pertain to?

some theories i have are that
a) locke and/or the others, who are still alive "are next" and now have to be careful not to die themselves.
b) Ben has to stop playing boss and reason with Jack, so that Jack operates on him and Ben lives.
c) Eko was the only survivor from the smugglers plane and the cost of living after that was guilt for his past sins and his brother's death.

a more complex, but very appealing theory for me is that the title does refer to Eko, and what cost he would have to pay in order to live and not die in the end of the episode. That would be repending for his sins, which we find out that he doesn't really view as such. So he would have to play along with a moral/religious system he doesn't believe in. So the cost of living would be accepting even more guilt than he had been feeling inside, imposed by his brother and the Christian doctrine. He chooses not to pay that cost though.

BlackrockBob

Re: the title of the episode
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »
Good theory surfmadpig. I thought that The Cost of Living for Eko was death now, for what he did before.

We never knew what good Eko did. We only saw the bad, and saw that he investigated that "miracle" that happened to the girl.

Eko had his chance to repent, but he refused to because he felt he did nothing wrong.

That kind of boggles my mind. He was a criminal before and was trying to smuggle drugs.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »
Now that we know he never really repented, why was he keeping up the charade of being a priest?  Once he realized they weren't going to be rescued he could have posed as a businessman.

Michelle13

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 09:24:51 PM »
Hey, great posting Surf...I gotta say something with respect tho. Everyone has been talking about Eko's lack of repentance, but he did repent. Repent, in the Christian sense, means "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life".
I think repentance is COMPLETELY between God and man. Eko realized his lifestyle was not what God wanted him to continue doing so he changed. We see him doing a 40 day "verbal fast" of sorts to repent of killing the others that came into camp. He might not be living the greatest and holiest of lives prior to the crash, but he's shown signs of repentance. You don't immediately stop a lifestyle that you have had all of your life once repenting. So he did pay the price. The bible talks about how we are to die to sin so that we can live. (My take on it there, so please no bashing me! lol)

Now, whether or not this pertains to lost at all, I dunno  :D ::)

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 10:08:33 PM »
Hey, great posting Surf...I gotta say something with respect tho. Everyone has been talking about Eko's lack of repentance, but he did repent. Repent, in the Christian sense, means "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life".
I think repentance is COMPLETELY between God and man. Eko realized his lifestyle was not what God wanted him to continue doing so he changed. We see him doing a 40 day "verbal fast" of sorts to repent of killing the others that came into camp. He might not be living the greatest and holiest of lives prior to the crash, but he's shown signs of repentance. You don't immediately stop a lifestyle that you have had all of your life once repenting. So he did pay the price. The bible talks about how we are to die to sin so that we can live. (My take on it there, so please no bashing me! lol)

also when he went in to "Henry" & confessed & cut off his beard dreads.  He was repentant.

Michelle13

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »

also when he went in to "Henry" & confessed & cut off his beard dreads.  He was repentant.

Yea! I forgot about that one!! Thanks.

Offline stephen

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »
Eko did perform good deeds. Like he stated he killed a man in order to save his own brother. In the flashbacks he broke into a food storage building in order to get food for his starving brother. He carried Sawyer back to camp to save his life.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 01:57:27 AM »
He made his brother sign a sheet to make him a pretend priest so he could smuggle drugs out of the country in virgin mary statues. This ultimately caused his brothers death. He became a gangster that killed many people, dealt drugs and lived a mean lifestyle.

Offline Jas0n

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 05:12:20 AM »
eko gave his life for his brother... basically if you ask me... think about it.  and they both ended up burried together.

Michelle13

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 05:55:28 AM »
He made his brother sign a sheet to make him a pretend priest so he could smuggle drugs out of the country in virgin mary statues. This ultimately caused his brothers death. He became a gangster that killed many people, dealt drugs and lived a mean lifestyle.

Ever met someone who was perfect? I haven't. That is what repentance is for. And Eko did it. It might not be according to your standards, but in a very obvious way, he changed Juggy.  :-*

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 08:51:31 AM »
Everyone has been talking about Eko's lack of repentance, but he did repent. Repent, in the Christian sense, means "to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life".
I think repentance is COMPLETELY between God and man.

i completely agree. what i said about the "Christian morality" has to do with the strict doctrine as perceived by priests and zealots etc. in their sense, he did NOT repent, because, in front of a priest and holding a crucifix, he denied to say so. in a broader, both psychological and spiritual sense (spiritual as in the inner relationship each individual has with the greater being(s) he believes in, in this case God) he did repent. since his brother was killed and he reached the island he has been doing nothing but helping other people etc etc as you pointed out. therefore, he knew he did not have to say it, he had already done it. he had found inner peace both with his own guilts and in the personal relationship with God. Having Yemi stand before him and accuse him of being a sinner was too much for him, because he knew he had been excused from his sins anyway.

thanks for stating it more clearly :]

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »
I posted the same thread on another forum.. I like the title.  I believe the "cost of living" for Eko was the sacrifices he made to survive and save his brother (per his conversation to Fake Yemi at the end).  He lived his life without regret, but he died prematurely (I think, as a result).

As Shakespear once said, "A coward dies a thousand times, the valient live but once."

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:08:16 PM »
Pandora, what you said is very plausible. however, i hope it is more complicated. would be more exciting :>

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
eko gave his life for his brother... basically if you ask me... think about it.  and they both ended up burried together.
That post got me thinking... Resembalance to Shannon and Boone... both buried together.
Whos next?
Jack and Christian?

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 06:28:39 PM »
ecko was on the plane oceanic 815- comment for the author of this thread