Author Topic: What did you like most about this episode? What did you dislike?  (Read 8549 times)

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
What did you like most about this episode? What did you dislike?
« on: November 02, 2006, 03:17:50 AM »
I hated the fact that when the new chick inside the Pearl says after watching the orientation tape: "projects meaning plural."  Then Locke is like "Ohhhhh why didn't I think of that!"  That was so fricken lame and writers should be fired for that line and mistake.

I liked that the monster killed Eko.  It was awsome how he died not asking for forgiveness for his sins. 

Things I am considering: Femmi or fake Yemmi is this smoke-like shapeshifter.  No God on this Island and he can't see it.  War is now inevitable.  There has to be massive killings or something crazy as this season is suppose to go by a lot fast than just the 60+ days from seasons 1 - 2.  So, what is going to happen? 

The snow globe breaks my friends......Everyone dies the end

BlackrockBob

Re: What did you like most about this episode? What did you dislike?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:36:27 PM »
I liked that there was a BATHROOM in the Pearl. So someone could have been hiding in there when Eko and Locke showed up. (Burning Cigarette?).

I hated that Eko died. Who else is going to die this season? I'm still waiting for the shocking death. We all knew that when AAA got a ticket that he was gone.

mindsparkle

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
As I read other people's responses, I wonder what happened, why am I so out of sync with everyone else... but last night's show changed my feelings about lost.  It jumped the shark, oh, did it jump the shark for me...

I did not like seeing a monster made of smoke that beats poor Eko like a rag doll... a monster that can apparently shape shift, read minds, draw conclusions and make judgements...  smoke with chain sounds lifting, grabbing, swinging, throwing... it's all sci-fi and anything goes, there is nothing logical that can explain the monster.

As long as lost stayed within some limits of being scientific, reasonable, something I could identify with, something I could imagine might really be happening -- I was there... but sci-fi takes it down another avenue.  My fun was in researching, evaluating and developing theories...  with sci-fi, pfffttt... no theories, anything goes. 

Now I love sci-fi, don't get me wrong... but now it just becomes a series to watch and I don't feel like I can predict what maybe happening anymore... the clues could amount to anything... who knows where they are going with all this...

I'm not sure I'm getting my meaning across... and to tell you the truth -- I'm really sad today and know that it really doesn't matter that my thoughts are expressed.  I will still watch lost but...

I've lost that lovin' feeling for lost... 

misspensinger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:59:24 PM »
I liked that there was a BATHROOM in the Pearl. So someone could have been hiding in there when Eko and Locke showed up. (Burning Cigarette?).

I hated that Eko died. Who else is going to die this season? I'm still waiting for the shocking death. We all knew that when AAA got a ticket that he was gone.
He was never charged, it was dismissed, and it wasn't drunk driving.

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 06:13:29 PM »
As I read other people's responses, I wonder what happened, why am I so out of sync with everyone else... but last night's show changed my feelings about lost.  It jumped the shark, oh, did it jump the shark for me...

I did not like seeing a monster made of smoke that beats poor Eko like a rag doll... a monster that can apparently shape shift, read minds, draw conclusions and make judgements...  smoke with chain sounds lifting, grabbing, swinging, throwing... it's all sci-fi and anything goes, there is nothing logical that can explain the monster.

As long as lost stayed within some limits of being scientific, reasonable, something I could identify with, something I could imagine might really be happening -- I was there... but sci-fi takes it down another avenue.  My fun was in researching, evaluating and developing theories...  with sci-fi, pfffttt... no theories, anything goes. 

Now I love sci-fi, don't get me wrong... but now it just becomes a series to watch and I don't feel like I can predict what maybe happening anymore... the clues could amount to anything... who knows where they are going with all this...

I'm not sure I'm getting my meaning across... and to tell you the truth -- I'm really sad today and know that it really doesn't matter that my thoughts are expressed.  I will still watch lost but...

I've lost that lovin' feeling for lost... 

Hi mindsparkle, first off, I really enjoy reading your posts here, I am sorry the show jumped the shark for you last night. I hope the show can win you back at some point.

I am really surprised that last night's episode would be considered one that would deliver such a fatal sucker-punch to a dedicated viewer like yourself. I agree it was a little unsettling watching Eko get tossed around like that and I am sad to see him go (he was a favorite), but this is not the first time something like this has happened, and I found this to be essential to the story. We now have a pretty good idea as to what happened to the airplane pilot way back in Season 1. We have a better understanding as to how the characters are so vividly interacting with "hallucinations" on the island. This was a HUGE reveal from my point of view. Tying off some huge crucial questions.

How would you have preferred TPTB revisit the smoke-monster-security system story arc? We still do not know all of the details behind this crazy security system monster. I assume you were not a big fan of the Eko-centric episode from Season 2 where the monster confronted Eko? I guess what I am trying to write here is, I really do not see how this was any more "sci-fi" than all of the previous Island security-system / smoke monster encounters since Season 1 Episode 1.

NOTE: I am not writing this to change your mind or attack you, I am merely curious about a few things you had to say. Please feel no obligation to respond. You seem upset, so I hope this post does not offend you.  I hope your day is getting better :)

mindsparkle

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 12:09:22 AM »
a_dot_out.... thanks for writing, I have to share the computer with my husband right this minute but I want to respond and you have some very good points, I'm very grateful that you took the time to address my feelings... I'm flattered and I want to give a thoughtful honest response... as the day has rolled along and I've thought about things I'm feeling much differently... I'll tell you about it later this evening...

Again, thanks!

mindsparkle

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 01:58:57 AM »
Hi mindsparkle, first off, I really enjoy reading your posts here, I am sorry the show jumped the shark for you last night. I hope the show can win you back at some point.

I am really surprised that last night's episode would be considered one that would deliver such a fatal sucker-punch to a dedicated viewer like yourself. I agree it was a little unsettling watching Eko get tossed around like that and I am sad to see him go (he was a favorite), but this is not the first time something like this has happened, and I found this to be essential to the story. We now have a pretty good idea as to what happened to the airplane pilot way back in Season 1. We have a better understanding as to how the characters are so vividly interacting with "hallucinations" on the island. This was a HUGE reveal from my point of view. Tying off some huge crucial questions.

How would you have preferred TPTB revisit the smoke-monster-security system story arc? We still do not know all of the details behind this crazy security system monster. I assume you were not a big fan of the Eko-centric episode from Season 2 where the monster confronted Eko? I guess what I am trying to write here is, I really do not see how this was any more "sci-fi" than all of the previous Island security-system / smoke monster encounters since Season 1 Episode 1.

NOTE: I am not writing this to change your mind or attack you, I am merely curious about a few things you had to say. Please feel no obligation to respond. You seem upset, so I hope this post does not offend you.  I hope your day is getting better :)

a_dot_out... Finally, I'm back on the computer.  I wasn't able to access this site all day long, I posted the one message and then the site was down or I would have responded sooner. 

Each strange unexplanable sight we have seen, I have had to suspend disbelief to keep going with the story... as I'm sure everyone does.  And, I know, a monster on an island kinda set the whole story on the supernatural side to begin with and surviving the crash was a stretch... but, not knowing enough left the door open that perhaps these events could be explained... 

I felt the smoke bashing Eko was simply a matter of the straw that broke the camel's back... I felt it was one step too far... too far fetched, too uncomprehendable for ME... yes, I know the world doesn't revolve around me ... darn!  And, I think your line deliver such a fatal sucker-punch really opened my eyes... I realized that I had an idea/an agenda in my head about what was going on and this new informaton did not jive with what I had in mind...  I was hoping the security system or island anomaly whatever it is... was mechanical, man made and controlled... I expected to see Fenry behind the curtain like the wizard.  Silly, huh... I didn't even know how attached I was to this idea until today!

After giving the episode some thought and reading other people's opinions I got more and more relaxed with the idea that the bashing smoke was still within the parameters that will allow me to continue to suspend disbelief. 

I AM dumbfounded by the episode and can't concieve of an explanation for the bashing smoke -- it has thrown me for a loop... After watching previews and reading spoilers for next week I'm back on track...  plus, my desire to be super opinionated doesn't just subside at the whim of an emotional outburst!

I really appreciate your challenging my statements and my beliefs... in fact, I've often stated that this is the real reason I am so attracted to lost, the show makes a person think, it challenges your values, your biases, your emotions, hell -- your world paradigm... and that can't be a bad thing!  Thank you, I owe you one!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:21:54 AM by mindsparkle »

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 02:39:52 AM »
My main problem with the episode was the way that Eko was killed.  The killing of Eko by the smoke monster was absolutely ridiculous: it was too cartoonish/comic book for this fan of both. 

mindsparkle

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:07:34 AM »
San Diego Johnny, I struggled with the same thing and have backed off and decided to reserve my opinion and wait for additional information    ...funny you called it "comic book" I used the same term on another forum today discussing this very issue. LOL

Anyway, I can still get excited about the other things happening on the island or with the losties... 

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 04:21:58 AM »
San Diego Johnny, I struggled with the same thing and have backed off and decided to reserve my opinion and wait for additional information    ...funny you called it "comic book" I used the same term on another forum today discussing this very issue. LOL

Anyway, I can still get excited about the other things happening on the island or with the losties... 
I agree with your last sentence.  I'm still a huge fan of the show and am overall not disappointed with the season. 

Michelle13

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 06:40:43 AM »
My main problem with the episode was the way that Eko was killed.  The killing of Eko by the smoke monster was absolutely ridiculous: it was too cartoonish/comic book for this fan of both. 

ditto.

and i'm glad to see "A Dot" is concerned about how people perceive heir comments...maturity, yay! Congrats "A Dot"

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 08:16:19 AM »

a_dot_out... Finally, I'm back on the computer.  I wasn't able to access this site all day long, I posted the one message and then the site was down or I would have responded sooner. 

Each strange unexplanable sight we have seen, I have had to suspend disbelief to keep going with the story... as I'm sure everyone does.  And, I know, a monster on an island kinda set the whole story on the supernatural side to begin with and surviving the crash was a stretch... but, not knowing enough left the door open that perhaps these events could be explained... 

I felt the smoke bashing Eko was simply a matter of the straw that broke the camel's back... I felt it was one step too far... too far fetched, too uncomprehendable for ME... yes, I know the world doesn't revolve around me ... darn!  And, I think your line deliver such a fatal sucker-punch really opened my eyes... I realized that I had an idea/an agenda in my head about what was going on and this new informaton did not jive with what I had in mind...  I was hoping the security system or island anomaly whatever it is... was mechanical, man made and controlled... I expected to see Fenry behind the curtain like the wizard.  Silly, huh... I didn't even know how attached I was to this idea until today!

After giving the episode some thought and reading other people's opinions I got more and more relaxed with the idea that the bashing smoke was still within the parameters that will allow me to continue to suspend disbelief. 

I AM dumbfounded by the episode and can't concieve of an explanation for the bashing smoke -- it has thrown me for a loop... After watching previews and reading spoilers for next week I'm back on track...  plus, my desire to be super opinionated doesn't just subside at the whim of an emotional outburst!

I really appreciate your challenging my statements and my beliefs... in fact, I've often stated that this is the real reason I am so attracted to lost, the show makes a person think, it challenges your values, your biases, your emotions, hell -- your world paradigm... and that can't be a bad thing!  Thank you, I owe you one!

But this is not the first time. Presumably smokie was causing all the noise in the Pilot (and killed the co-pilot) so this is not the first time. Some have speculated that it was a polar bear, but the plane cockpit was up in the air about 20 feet and the pilot stuck his head out the window ABOVE the plane. Too high for a polar bear even if they are 15 feet tall on hind limbs.  ??? Also it was smokie that almost dragged Locke into a hole. Thus I don't see how this is out-of-character. This seems to follow along quite well with what we have seen in seasons one and two methinks. ;D

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »
Any chance they'll pull a "Dallas" on us and this week's epi turns out to all have been a dream?  Hope not.

Hated to see Eko go as well.  I think if he would have repented to Smemmi (smoke Vemmi) he would have been pardoned, with his penance to complete the replacement church he owed his brother.  I thought he WAS sorry, seemed like he changed at last moment.

Morale:  REPENT!!  THE END IS NEAR!!
(see me on a street corner near YOU with my sandwhich board message)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 11:07:22 AM »
mindsparkle, san diego johhny, and anyone else:

i agree with the whole way eko was killed.  a bit comic book, a bit jump the shark-ish.  to sci-fi.  one of the reasons i LOVE this show is it is sci-fi, but it is more sci and less fi (at least to me).  the things that happen are scientifically POSSIBLE, just not probable.  mindsparkle:  i too have been waiting to see benry, (or someone else) "pulling the strings" behind smokie.  to find out it is something manmade.  i just don't see how that is possible after this weeks epi. 

i will continue to watch, i love lost.  i just hope it doesn't start turning into a cartoonish show without the animation.

at least not until kelvin shows back up ;)  (shoutout to blackrockbob)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »
Mindsparkle please don't stop posting your thoughts, I really enjoy them and they make me think. Smoke monster is my least favorite part of the show because I am not big on sci-fi.(sorry!) (least favorite next to the two newbies) But I am glad that you are getting your feet back under you. Please keep researching and offering your opinion because they are very much appreciated.