Author Topic: Yemi = Jesus  (Read 6201 times)

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Yemi = Jesus
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:15:55 AM »
Did anyone catch the analogy between Yemi and Jesus? Eko and Locke pushed a huge boulder away from the door, only to find that yemi had vanished. ring any bells?

might sound obvious... but i thought it was interesting.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Yemi = Jesus
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:20:21 AM »
Yeah, someone just mentioned that on the main thread.  I thought it was a good catch.

misspensinger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:26:50 AM »
Interesting, but who was the Angel of the Lord rolling the stone away?

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:32:31 AM »
dude awesome catch

And they found Jesus in the garden clost to the tomb.

Yemi was in some weird flower garden.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:35:31 AM »
Semi-obvious, and I didn't even think of it... but I'm glad you made the point and brought it up anyway...

The rolling away of the rock is symbolic of what had occurred during Jesus' resurrection on Easter and maybe even his miracle with raising Lazarus from the dead. But honestly, I think it might have been placed there to honor Yemi's body and so that other animals wouldn't ravage it (of course I could be wrong if they just burned it as someone else just pointed out).

I also remember that there was an image of the crucifix in Eko's first encounter with the smoke monster last season just as it is seen in Yemi's church. With this you also get the religous allegory of God as his Church and church as his religion. Eko wanted to fulfill an obligation to Yemi by building him a church on the island which was never finished.

Confession is another issue because it deals with redemtion and salvation, and the title is called "the cost of living" afterall... There was a conflict between Yemi's living "free of sin" and Eko's "you do what you have to do in order to survive". In the end, there was no confession, just a slight prostration with Eko on his knees atoning for sins he admits to not committing. Even here, survival seems to be the main importance.

It's all a huge snowball effect and I don't want to read in too much into the Jesus referrences... Now if this all really means anything, I'm not really sure... I think it mainly deals with the theme of FAITH on the show, and with faith comes trust. You also get the confusing difference between faith and fate... so maybe it's all for show (to make the show interesting and all)... you never know really...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:42:25 AM by uofapiglet »

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:35:39 AM »
While an interesting parallel, I think it was just drive home the point that the plane was well sealed...creating yet another mystery!

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 02:36:54 AM »

Eko/Locke?

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 02:37:41 AM »
It reminded me of exactly the same thing when they pushed aside the boulder.  I don't remember Charlie and Eko placing the boulder there when they burned the plane.  

misspensinger

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 02:40:09 AM »

Eko/Locke?
I mean, if I was to go for this I would have to say Locke.  The whole passing of the torch would make him the most likely candidate.  I think I agree with Piglet, but it is too late for me to fully think this thru.

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 02:42:11 AM »
It reminded me of exactly the same thing when they pushed aside the boulder.  I don't remember Charlie and Eko placing the boulder there when they burned the plane. 
I don't recall that either.  I don't think it was actually in that episode.  I thought of Jesus immediately when the body was gone, not a mindblowing revelation for a Christian. 

Matthew 28
The Resurrection
 1After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

2There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. 4The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

5The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. 6He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. 7Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."

8So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. 9Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. 10Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:46:19 AM by San Diego Johnny »

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:28 AM »
You guys are probably right about the bouldner thing... so I fixed what I said at the top since you guys cleared up what I had forgotten about Charlie and Eko just burning the plane without actually showing if they had put a boulder at the entrance or not... Thanks for the clarification guys...

BlackrockBob

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »

I thought that too. That is was an Angel judging Eko, and he didn't confess his sins. So the vengeful angel killed him.

Maybe Ben's group are the good guys, the people that were judged and not killed.

misspensinger

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »
UH OH!!  Don't let JB see this ;)

Offline Socrates

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 06:59:21 PM »
The first thing I thought of during that scene at the plane was the Resurection.  Seemed rather blatent to me given that Eko episodes revolve around Catholisism. 

I am not really sure what this means as I do not believe Yemi has been resurrected.  May just be an allusion to add to the religious themed episode.

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 07:45:27 PM »
I'm just here to say that I'm going to stay out of this discussion because I always get myself all riled up when it comes to these types of threads!  It is an interesting parallel, and depending on the interpretation of the Biblical text by the writers and directors  the meaning of the scene might change.