Author Topic: We've seen the smoke monster before?  (Read 10824 times)

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
We've seen the smoke monster before?
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:14:50 AM »
So, supposedly we saw the smoke monster in Season 2, but did not recognize it. Was that confirmed with the manifestation of Yemi again tonight?  Was the smoke monster Yemi, Jack's dad, Hurley's buddy, etc....

And what is with the mechanical sound everytime it is around? Everytime I hear it all I can think is Roller Coaster.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: We've seen the smoke monster before?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:20:07 AM »
Yes we saw smokie in season two   it was what tried to drag Locke into the ground

we were supposed to have seen it in season 1 but did not recognise it

and i have no idea about the noises but they happen every time it sppears in its smoke form

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 03:02:16 AM »
We've defintely seen the smoke monster before and on more than one occasion... check the investigations pages if you like and you'll probably get a better visual, especially when Eko first encounters it... At least now we know that it's capable of killing...

I always think of those old-school printers that print out perforated pages making that noise as it goes left and right... They are so clever with these things... I never knew that the hatch button sound was a grocery store scanner until I watched the dvd extras, and you'd think you'd realize it when grocery shopping becomes a mundane aspect of reality...

BlackrockBob

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:42:50 PM »
When Jack saw Christian? Smokie
When Kate saw the horse? Smokie
When Shannon saw Walt? Smokie
When Eko saw Yemmi? Smokie

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:49:30 PM »
Agree on most blackrock but I am not sure that Walt was the smoke monster, I still think it might have been walt himself doing some telepathic thing

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:51:23 PM »
I think that the monster trying to drag Locke underground happened at the end of season one, didn't it? They chased it off with the dynamite while going to blow the hatch. That was the second time he saw it (iirc): first time would have been the "it was beautiful" time, second was the "I better RUN!" time that ended with the dynamiting.
We didn't see the monster then, just as we didn't see it when it took the pilot in The Pilot. The reference made by TPTB in the podcast was that we'd seen it in season two without knowing we'd seen it.
We certainly saw it as the smoke monster in season two when Eko faced it down while Charlie hid up a tree. However, there were several scenes when we saw things that could have been monster manifestations:
Walt appearing places "where he shouldn't have been"
Dave appearing and trying to get Hurley to jump off of the cliff
Kate's horse and hearing Sawyer speak in her father's voice
Eko and Locke having a mutual dream that lead them to finding The Pearl.
...all these things could have been hallucinations or dreams, but any one (or all) of them could have been the "you've seen it but not known you were seeing it" time(s) mentioned.

*edit*
just noticed the post by BlackrockBob, I forgot to mention Christian.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:55:46 PM by eelpie62 »

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 07:54:33 PM »
I was actually referring to the producers who stated that we had seen the smoke monster in season 2, but did not know what we were looking at.

Offline skbrad76

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
Has every appearance of the smoke been accompanied by the sound (roller coaster, chains, trains)?  I can only remember the sound when the smoke is dragging Locke or throwing Eko.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
Presumably in season 1 Smokie made the trees rustle and the sounds of heavy footprints. Seems to me that that was too much noise for polar bears. Especially considering that they are quite stealthy hunters, if in fact they were hunting.

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »
in the pilot or the second episode, something in the jungle was knocking down trees at night when all of the losties heard it.  rose said that sound was familiar and that she was from brooklyn.  always sounded like a roller coaster to me too.

Offline Optimus J

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »
Has every appearance of the smoke been accompanied by the sound (roller coaster, chains, trains)?  I can only remember the sound when the smoke is dragging Locke or throwing Eko.
As far as I perceived there are 3 sets of sounds: The one I heard with the floating smokey, that sounds like a electronic thing, the rollercoaster sound I heard hen floating smokey probed Eko in front of Charlie, that is heard when smokey moves touching the ground, and the third set which sounds like chains, heard when smokey is moving things, like the trees, Locke and Eko.

Offline Eballs

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 05:06:05 PM »
Hello, I am a long time reader and first time poster on this website.  I really enjoy reading this webpage, esp when I am at work. 

But the reason for my post is the sounds that the monster "smokey" makes.  Rose said the sounds are familiar to her.  This struck me as a weird thing to say because it was unlike anything i have ever hear before in my life.  While reading a few posts i saw that someone mentioned that Rose was from Brooklyn.  I just recently took a job in New York City and commute in from New Jersey.  Guess what, I heard the noise, It's the subway.

If you have ever been in a New York subway you hear the loud metal squeaking of the breaks, the chugging along when it is coasting in between stops.  If I am wrong I am sorry for wasting the time you spent reading this post but if I am right this could add a new dimension to "smokey." What if not only it was being controlled, but what if it is being driven?  It did try to take Locke underground!

Offline DaddyBeast

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 05:08:32 PM »
We also saw very clearly the little whisp of smokie flying around before we saw the whole thing.  Maybe Smokie is several little smokies assemble together, or maybe Smokie is the bear and the whisps are the cubs.

We saw the whisps several times but people weren't sure - when the engine blows up on the beach, when the plane breaks apart in 3x1.

and I think the beep for the 108 counter was from the registers at Target.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »
Hello, I am a long time reader and first time poster on this website.  I really enjoy reading this webpage, esp when I am at work. 

But the reason for my post is the sounds that the monster "smokey" makes.  Rose said the sounds are familiar to her.  This struck me as a weird thing to say because it was unlike anything i have ever hear before in my life.  While reading a few posts i saw that someone mentioned that Rose was from Brooklyn.  I just recently took a job in New York City and commute in from New Jersey.  Guess what, I heard the noise, It's the subway.

If you have ever been in a New York subway you hear the loud metal squeaking of the breaks, the chugging along when it is coasting in between stops.  If I am wrong I am sorry for wasting the time you spent reading this post but if I am right this could add a new dimension to "smokey." What if not only it was being controlled, but what if it is being driven?  It did try to take Locke underground!
thanks for sharing the "sound" with us.  i, for one, have never heard the sound of the subway, but it makes sense.  maybe there is an underground transportation system.  (i am in support of this theory). 

welcome!!

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »
I think the smoke monster is "death". Ya know, the grim reaper. He flys around, does what he wants, and takes lives.