Author Topic: "We're next"  (Read 13406 times)

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: "We're next"
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2006, 05:05:41 PM »
I'm not sure that Locke is that devious, IMHO
I didn't think Sun would shoot someone. I thought the Glass Ballerina clarified that anyone is capable of anything.

Agreed, but I still think Locke is too decent, especially now he has his faith back

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2006, 07:22:16 PM »
I'm not sure that Locke is that devious, IMHO
I didn't think Sun would shoot someone. I thought the Glass Ballerina clarified that anyone is capable of anything.

Agreed, but I still think Locke is too decent, especially now he has his faith back
True. The thing is, that I believe Locke thinks he is now taking the role of the new 'Leader' of the Losties and he may of said that to try and do whats best for the group. But it does seem a bit farfeched, especailly for Locke now, I agree.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »
I'd say Eko said "you're next" and was talking to Locke, the only other man of faith on the island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 12:07:34 PM »
The key here is that he did not repent when smokie demanded it. Right or wrong smokie was judging him and smokie did not like eko's response.

I just don't agree that "smokie" is someone that can judge character and when a person has had true confession in their heart and mind. I can't firgure out this THING, but I think it is given too much credit.

Definetely can judge character and make judgments. We saw it download Eko's thoughts last season.

Michelle13

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »
The key here is that he did not repent when smokie demanded it. Right or wrong smokie was judging him and smokie did not like eko's response.

I just don't agree that "smokie" is someone that can judge character and when a person has had true confession in their heart and mind. I can't firgure out this THING, but I think it is given too much credit.

Definetely can judge character and make judgments. We saw it download Eko's thoughts last season.

So we don't beat a dead horse or whatever that phrase is...I will agree to disagree with you Mr Juggy  :-* I still think you're the hottest teacher at your school.  ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2006, 12:15:14 PM »
We sure can, I just don't see why people are having a hard time with this. The episode was very clear with everyone telling him to confess and Eko's refusal not to and him being squashed.

I believe it is another example of the producers/writers being very straight forward with us, and people not listenting. Like I did not listen with Jae's suicide.

Michelle13

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2006, 12:16:43 PM »
So what's your take on the "we're next" comment??

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »
i believe that it means that they are next to be judged. Their responses to the judgment will determine if they live or die.

Michelle13

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2006, 12:48:36 PM »
So if a person that the "smokie" chooses confesses their sin ...they live? To do what? Commit again? Man this confuses me lol

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »
To live their life they way they wanted to on the island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2006, 01:06:16 PM »
Remeber the tag line in the previews of the season.

Who will I choose to be.

Eko chose to be the same person. So he is dead.

(that was a great post by me..)

Offline Dubplate

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »
What if the man with the eye patch was controlling the smoke monster from another station?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2006, 01:21:02 PM »
It is possible, I don't think so . I think he doing some task like the other hatches.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »
Remeber the tag line in the previews of the season.

Who will I choose to be.

Eko chose to be the same person. So he is dead.

(that was a great post by me..)

It was a great post Juggy, interesting thoughts on smokie...

But my thoughts on this are: if smokie exists to judge worth (dead or alive), is it merely an issue of who one chooses to be? And does this deal more with fate vs. free will, based on a person's repentance/acceptance/atonement? Refusal to (and fear of) change is a prevalent theme on the island, but I don't neccessarily think it means death if someone cannot come to terms with their "sins" the way smokie wants them to...

Thus, when Locke says "we're next", does it serve more as a warning or as a code of conduct for how to act on the island? IMHO, I think it's more of a precaution to our losties rather than an actual threat to kill... we know that smokie can kill (he achieved that with the pilot and eko) but we still don't understand how or why it chooses it's victims... i suppose we'll find out eventually how important this smoke monster is to the show...

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
I think that there are the good ones and the bad ones.  Some of the bad folks are redeemable.  They just have to repent.

Almost every main character did bad things, and some have made efforts to repent.

- Kate did bad things and seems unrepentant.  She's with the Others.
- Sawyer did bad things and is mostly unrepentant (he set up the fund for the daughter).  He's with the Others.
- Jack didn't really do bad things.  The Others want him (to join?), so he's in a different situation from the above.
- Hurley didn't seem to be a bad person (iirc).  He was released by the Others.

- Eko did horrible things. He was given the option to repent and refused.