Author Topic: Benry/Adam & Eve Theory...  (Read 3512 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Benry/Adam & Eve Theory...
« on: October 31, 2006, 02:10:48 AM »
Ok, I promised I wouldn't take over the Tumor poll thread with this, but found myself doing just that anyway...lol..so I'll repost the theory I came up with while bored and possibly slightly drunk...

Here goes:

-Benry said he has been on the island all of his life
-Jack said the xrays were of a man of "about 40 years old"
-When Jack found the two corpses in the cave in season one, he said the bodies had been there for about 40-50 years ("It takes 40 to 50 years for clothing to decompose like this...")

Which means:

The two corpses were Benry's parents--remember, Jack said one was female--and he and his relatives have lived on the island long before the Dharma people showed up.

To expand the theory a bit further:

Benry's parents were crash survivors themselves...maybe by boat. Benry was born (maybe even conceived) on the island. If there were a few others from the crash they could have placed his parents' bodies in the cave, along with the stones as some sort of ceremonial thing at death. Them being crash survivors would also explain why their bodies were placed alone in the cave...if they were part of a long-existing race on the island (like I first mentioned lol), they would have been buried along with all the others who had died over the years/decades/centures.

Benry then grew up with the Dharma folks once they arrived. Maybe the "hostiles" were already there before Dharma as well, and took him as a baby while killing what few survivors were left, and then the Dharma people rescued him at a young age after they arrived...that's why he's so beholden to that group of people, why he keeps saying "We're the good guys" (which is the way you'd talk to a child if you're trying to convince them you mean them no harm...he's just repeating what the Dharma people told him as a child)...Benry grew into a natural born leader and gave his entire being and faith into the Dharma Initiative, seeing as how they gave him a healthy and safe surrounding after being part of the "hostiles" as a child after his parents died...he bought into their goals and purpose 1,000% and is fully committed to them.

Now someone else (it was Demra lol) added to this by saying what about the "others" being a mixture of hostiles and Dharma people? That could have some plausibility in that Sawyer said that Juliet was the only one out of the others that he knew would have easily used violence (she had Kate at gunpoint), while the rest pretty much "never saw any action". Demra also mentioned  what Juliet said as well ("It doesn't matter who we were, but who we are now")...kinda hints at previously being a "hostile" and now being a Dharma/"other"...along with the idea that the hostiles within the group would not really be as up on the hatches and such, and it does seem as if the Others are a bit ambivalent about the hatches and what goes on in them...add to that the possibility of Ethan being a former "hostile" as well...maybe that's why he was sent out, along with um, Goodwin, was it?...Maybe they used to be hostiles and that's Why Benry sent them...they could be violent if necessary.

My last thought is that since Jack kept the stones that were left on the body of either "Adam" or "Eve", maybe Benry knows about the stones...and maybe Jack will somehow end up showing them to Benry, which will effect Benry in some unexpected emotional way...or possibly it will just be a plot device to get Benry to tell the audience that Adam and Eve were really his parents...

Anyway, feel free to add onto it or pick it apart as nonsense..lol :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:00:16 PM by WhatThe »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Benry/Adam & Eve Theory...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:25:32 AM »
One more thought...

What if Adam and Eve died from "the sickness"?...And what if the sickness is what has caused Benry's tumor? (maybe being born while his mother was inflicted with it, and it eventually lead to cancer??...maybe? lol) If so, what if Adam and Eve placed themselves in the cave to die together, with Benry as a child staying with them after death out of fear and lonliness? Imagine a 3 year old Benry curled up next to him mom and dad moments after they died, still trying to get comfort from them... *sniff sob* :( lol...At the very least it would present Benry in a somewhat more sympathetic light...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:28:33 AM »
that fits with the Others wanting to inject Aaron in-utero(sp?)...maybe to prevent the same thing from happening to him.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 02:49:13 AM »
that fits with the Others wanting to inject Aaron in-utero(sp?)...maybe to prevent the same thing from happening to him.

Yeah, the injecting Aaron flashback could be the writers pointing to Benry's memory of his parents (Adam and Eve) dying from the sickness, and wanting Aaron to be immunized just in case Aaron's mother already contracted it as his mother did...

Yanno, the more beers you have, the more this crap makes sense...lol :)

BlackrockBob

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 06:46:03 AM »
Good theory, however I'm seeing a parallel with Star Wars and Ben being a "Child of the Island". You can look for a post of mine in the spoiler thread for something that might support your theory.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:37 AM »
What the, great theory. I like it a lot. Well thought out and supported. I agree that this would make the Ben and the others more sympathetic. Nice job.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:05:26 PM »
Good theory, however I'm seeing a parallel with Star Wars and Ben being a "Child of the Island". You can look for a post of mine in the spoiler thread for something that might support your theory.

Is the spoilers thread in this forum? If not, point me to it, would love to read it...

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 04:59:33 PM »
Demra also mentioned  what Juliet said as well ("It doesn't matter who we were, but who we are now")...kinda hints at previously being a "hostile" and now being a Dharma/"other"

Good theory - When Ben said to Juliette that she never made him soup like she did Jack, I wondered if he was once her prisoner - if she used to be a hostile then it would be possible

BlackrockBob

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 08:12:47 PM »

Is the spoilers thread in this forum? If not, point me to it, would love to read it...

Ok, here you go:
Spoiler
Here is the link to my thread in the spoiler section, look at the bottom for the link to the Micahel Emerson quote.
http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=3011.0

Offline E-Rich

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
It is very interesting and put together well, WT.  (Not like 'white trash" WT....oh you know what it stands for....)  anyway - good theory....and it would make Ben and them be more "good" as they keep saying they are not the bad guys.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 11:08:06 PM »
I do not believe that Ben was ever a prisoner than rose to the power position he has now.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 04:01:20 PM »
Simply brilliant and insightful, well stated WhatThe!

The Adam and Eve story was always one of my favorite mysteries from Season 1.  The way their bodies were found in the cave seemed very symbollic and almost primal in the burial. It reminded me of these cliffs in the indegenous parts of the Philippines where they have 100-yr-old hanging coffins to commemorate the tribe's ancestors (super creepy when I first saw them, but very interesting history indeed).

Anyway, it also reminded me of the movie "Blue Lagoon" when the parents were found at the end dead in the boat with their son crying. The idea that Ben could actually be born of the island seems very interesting and it does seem like some of his dialogue is geared toward a child (maybe just another connection to the importance of the kids on the island). We'll have to see if the writers actually follow that story line given your well-argued theory.

As far as the "others", I agree with you and Demra that there seems to be different sets of them, and possibly even a mixed group. Maybe that's why Ben and Juliet play the good-cop/bad-cop duo so well because they have different backgrounds and sets of values but both are trying to work for the same cause. It could also serve as another reason for why they seem to have conflicting roles of authority. We also see a rift in their community and how it is run, given Alex R. and Karl for example. We won't really know unless they give us an episode dedicated to the others' backstory.

Great posts!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 09:23:04 PM »
Ok, I promised I wouldn't take over the Tumor poll thread with this, but found myself doing just that anyway...lol..so I'll repost the theory I came up with while bored and possibly slightly drunk...

Here goes:

-Benry said he has been on the island all of his life
-Jack said the xrays were of a man of "about 40 years old"
-When Jack found the two corpses in the cave in season one, he said the bodies had been there for about 40-50 years ("It takes 40 to 50 years for clothing to decompose like this...")

Which means:

The two corpses were Benry's parents--remember, Jack said one was female--and he and his relatives have lived on the island long before the Dharma people showed up.

To expand the theory a bit further:

Benry's parents were crash survivors themselves...maybe by boat. Benry was born (maybe even conceived) on the island. If there were a few others from the crash they could have placed his parents' bodies in the cave, along with the stones as some sort of ceremonial thing at death. Them being crash survivors would also explain why their bodies were placed alone in the cave...if they were part of a long-existing race on the island (like I first mentioned lol), they would have been buried along with all the others who had died over the years/decades/centures.

Benry then grew up with the Dharma folks once they arrived. Maybe the "hostiles" were already there before Dharma as well, and took him as a baby while killing what few survivors were left, and then the Dharma people rescued him at a young age after they arrived...that's why he's so beholden to that group of people, why he keeps saying "We're the good guys" (which is the way you'd talk to a child if you're trying to convince them you mean them no harm...he's just repeating what the Dharma people told him as a child)...Benry grew into a natural born leader and gave his entire being and faith into the Dharma Initiative, seeing as how they gave him a healthy and safe surrounding after being part of the "hostiles" as a child after his parents died...he bought into their goals and purpose 1,000% and is fully committed to them.

Now someone else (it was Demra lol) added to this by saying what about the "others" being a mixture of hostiles and Dharma people? That could have some plausibility in that Sawyer said that Juliet was the only one out of the others that he knew would have easily used violence (she had Kate at gunpoint), while the rest pretty much "never saw any action". Demra also mentioned  what Juliet said as well ("It doesn't matter who we were, but who we are now")...kinda hints at previously being a "hostile" and now being a Dharma/"other"...along with the idea that the hostiles within the group would not really be as up on the hatches and such, and it does seem as if the Others are a bit ambivalent about the hatches and what goes on in them...add to that the possibility of Ethan being a former "hostile" as well...maybe that's why he was sent out, along with um, Goodwin, was it?...Maybe they used to be hostiles and that's Why Benry sent them...they could be violent if necessary.

My last thought is that since Jack kept the stones that were left on the body of either "Adam" or "Eve", maybe Benry knows about the stones...and maybe Jack will somehow end up showing them to Benry, which will effect Benry in some unexpected emotional way...or possibly it will just be a plot device to get Benry to tell the audience that Adam and Eve were really his parents...

Anyway, feel free to add onto it or pick it apart as nonsense..lol :)
I haven't read anyone else's posts yet.

I'm just wondering how Ben could possibly be a leader if he just happened to join after his parents were shipwrecked. It seems as if the others are very Clique-ish and would rather kill a newb to the island than to adopt the child... dunno.