Author Topic: Stephen King References  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Stephen King References
« on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:17 PM »
This thread is for the discussion of all of the Stephen King references.

In 3x01, Juliet picked the book "Carrie" as the discussion book.

Offline prometheus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen King References
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 07:17:21 PM »
The newest Stephen King Reference is the bunny with an 8 on its back.  In his autobiography/text book "On Writing"  he declares that all artists are preforming telepathy, especially writers.  His example is that in the year 2000 in Maine , he wrote a paragraph about a Bunny rabbit in a cage with a marking of an 8 drawn on its back.  Years later and in other parts of the world one can read this and they visualize the same marking of an 8 on a Bunny's back in their mind. 

Ive posted other King connections on other threads but ill transfer them here later.  Theres a lot.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 03:33:16 PM »
Quote from: Entertainment Weekly
Emilie de Ravin

Even before she landed the role of new mom Claire on Lost, de Ravin had appeared in several spooky, otherwordly projects, including the series BeastMaster, where she played a demon, and the TV remake of Carrie.

Thought this was interesting.

Full article here.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
Go to the 'General Spoiler' thread cuz I just posted an article from EW that talked about Stephen King sharing an evening with the 3 lost creators/head writers. There is some speculative spoiler-ish talk but it's just interesting to read King's take on Lost.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 03:59:56 PM »
also go to homages have been tipping their hat to him foq quite some time. agree with him to end after 4 seasons.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 01:52:44 PM »
there was a copy of Stephen King's "Carrie" on Juliet's sister, Rachel's, nightstand in the first few minutes of epi 3X7...

Offline FireLily

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
Well, I tried a little bit to find if this was posted in another spot.  I did see something like it, but I wanted to elaborate more.

In the Book Sticky Note Section (?), they mention that Stephen King has a novel called "The Talisman" in which the main character is Jack Sawyer.  Yes this is true.  But I wanted to add to that, because at one point in the book, that young boy's middle name is mentioned to be BENJAMIN!!!  I found that cool. :)

Sorry if that was anywhere else, I'm still getting used to the board.

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
I just found out that in "Carrie" the principal's name is HENRY GRAYLE.  Sound familiar?

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:12:24 PM »
i have something in mind about Stephen King... the second Juliet centric episode .. in her flashback the scene where she is going to Ben's bungalo she passes a man working in his garden... and the man says "Good morning Juliet"... i swear for the life of me thats Mr. Stephen King himself playing the part... anyone else agree??

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:40:12 PM »
Interesting about "Carrie."  Sorry to say, I've never read the book.  But I was looking up some things on it and apparently there is a letter in the back of the book to a woman named Sandra from her sister, AMELIA Jenks talking about her telekinetic daughter named ANNIE.  Found it interesting as we know the old book club lady was named Amelia, and the young friend of Ben's was Annie.  Could this mean that there is some connection between the two?

Also!

I guess Carrie wrote a love note to "Flash Bobby PICKETT" who wrote Monster Mash.

There is a physicist named GERALD Luponet (kinda like our Dharma Man Gerald Degroot....)

Well.  I'll let you know when I'm done grabbing at straws...

Offline Nancy Drew

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »
Interesting about "Carrie."  Sorry to say, I've never read the book.  But I was looking up some things on it and apparently there is a letter in the back of the book to a woman named Sandra from her sister, AMELIA Jenks talking about her telekinetic daughter named ANNIE.  Found it interesting as we know the old book club lady was named Amelia, and the young friend of Ben's was Annie.  Could this mean that there is some connection between the two?

Also!

I guess Carrie wrote a love note to "Flash Bobby PICKETT" who wrote Monster Mash.

There is a physicist named GERALD Luponet (kinda like our Dharma Man Gerald Degroot....)

Well.  I'll let you know when I'm done grabbing at straws...

Very interesting about ANNIE.  Maybe that's why Ben didn't want to be in on the book club when Juliet chose this book??  Maybe it hit too close to home for him??

Offline bubbles

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
i read that Charlies character is kind of based on the charater of Larry Underwood in The Stand.  They are both one hit wonders with drug problems when their lives are turned upside down - via plane crash or superflu.  They both get to redeem themselves in the end.

I think that Claire's character has a lot in common with Fran too.  Both pregnant and young, having issues in their own lives with their mothers.  Can't decide what they want to do with the baby.  Crappy boyfriends who split on them.  Them boom, everything is turned upside down.

I love the Stephen King/Lost connection!

Offline DirtyMaggieMae

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 01:02:57 PM »
Ok.  So this is kind of a theory/reference.  I've never read the whole Dark Tower series, but from those who have I heard some interesting things.  Apparently, the dark tower itself works to keep the worlds/realities in tact and separated but the tower is starting to degrade.  Along with that so are the boundaries between worlds- like in one world that is similar but not exactly like ours, one of the main characters finds a newspaper from Topeka, Kansas.  This got me thinking, what if LOST is trying to emulate that idea?  As in, things from the LOST world are melting into our own world.  Look at the lost experience.  We now have Apollo candy bars, the Hanso foundation, Oceanic airlines sites... things we don't have in the "real" world.  So.... our our reality lines merging?  Ya hear me!

Offline bubbles

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
I like where you are going with this, DMM!!  That would be a really cool turn for it to take with so many possibilities!!