Author Topic: The Long Con Reprise  (Read 7395 times)

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
The Long Con Reprise
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:56:19 PM »
Ben told Sawyer that the only way to gain the respect of a con man is to con him (or something like that).  Well, I'm of the opinion that Sawyer actually gets conned a lot.

He got conned to kill another man who he thought was the man who conned his parents.  Ben conned him.

I think that maybe even Cassidy is conning him about him having a daughter.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
Re: The Long Con Reprise
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:11:58 PM »
Ben told Sawyer that the only way to gain the respect of a con man is to con him (or something like that).  Well, I'm of the opinion that Sawyer actually gets conned a lot.

He got conned to kill another man who he thought was the man who conned his parents.  Ben conned him.

I think that maybe even Cassidy is conning him about him having a daughter.

It's very possible... I never expected Pickett, let alone Ben, to beat the crap out of Sawyer (then again, Hurley did too)... If anything, I think that last night's episode just showed us the softer side of Sawyer, and his weaknesses concerning the possible threats recieved by those he seems to have a genuine affection for... He's so pre-occupied about being emotionally and physically detatched/alone (duh, "every man for himself" and the idea of self-preservation) that maybe he doesn 't realize that he's getting conned.

misspensinger

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 06:12:55 PM »
Yeah, but why do they con him?  I think they con him because he is so good at the con's they know he will come thru.  I think it shows us that he allows his feelings/emotions get in the way.  Everyone can be conned if you not what strings to play.

What would Cassidy's purpose be in conning him with the daughter?  You think the Warden gave her a heads up?

I agree he does get conned a lot.  

Just tried to post and Piglet beat me ;)  So yeah, I agree with what you said about Sawyer.

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
Cassidy's purpose would be to possibly get money out of him.  ...and if that were the purpose, it worked.

I mean, she was the topic of the entire episode "The Long Con," and she is still going.  That's what I think.  Besides, Sawyer sort of caved on his "gun control" from that episode as well.  I think that he is easily conned.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
I think Ben conned Sawyer to dissuade him from trying to escape because there is no where else to go and it basically breaks his spirits. Sawyer works best in high presssure situations and the lowering of his heart rate is symbollic for imbedding doubt in his abilities so that Ben can basically crush all his hopes. This has a lot to do with the book "Of Mice and Men" too because the ending deals with shattered dreams and a brute (much like Sawyer in physicality) tries to survive on his own but can't. IMHO, Ben's long con leaves Sawyer in a learnedd state of helplessness and it causes him to give up. Whether Sawyer does decide to give up or not is up to TPTB so we should keep watching to see what happens... who knows, maybe in the end Sawyer is still the one doing the really really loooong con.

misspensinger

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 06:29:54 PM »
LOL, it would be the longest con ever!! 

So yeah, when I watched it the second time it reminded me of Kate's broken spirit when she was chopping rocks.  Just that look of utter defeat.  But a day later she was back to normal right?  I would be suprise to see them give up so quickly.  I think they should have played the song "So you had a bad day" at the end, seem to suit Sawyers mood.

As for Cassidy, if that was her purpose then Sawyer taught her well.

me4president404

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »
another big con is the island because i think i noticed the losties island looked diferent like there was a invisible line and either side the water moved differently.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
Sawyer can not hurt a kid. That's his weakness. He was hurt as a kid and he can't stand seeing one hurt because of him. I think he would have given the money to the little girl, just to kind of make up for him being hurt as a kid. Whether or not he believed it was his real daughter.

Personally, I think Sawyer was playing Ben the whole time. Sawyer has got conned before, and Ben might have done a good job on him this time. I just don't see the whole pacemaker thing making sense to Sawyer. If they had given him an injection and said, you now have a virus that only we have the cure for, that would be more believable than the pacemaker.

Sawyer knew he was being watched after his trick to electocute Ben failed. In fact, Ben told him that they were being watched and he couldn't tell Kate anything. I like to think that Sawyer is smarter enough to figure out it was a fake.

Only time will tell.

Offline witness1111

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:27 PM »
Sawyer has spent the majority of his life trying to live up to a persona that, for him, is unobtainable.  Because of his emotional ties to his parents, he feels he must avenge their deaths.  Vengeance is the only way Sawyer can continue to express his love for his family.  Since his parent's deaths he had done nothing but aspire to become the very man that he feels is responsible for the root of all his pain and suffering.  This act alone is contradictory to itself because it is an act born of love.

A con man will only be successful if he can truly let go of all emotional ties.  It's one thing to scam a couple of frat boys at a gas station out of a few hundred bucks, but it takes a very cold individual to knowingly dupe a family out of their entire life savings.  The original Sawyer could do it, but as for our James Ford (once that little boy made the scene and a full blown family is realized) emotions blanket his objective and the con is off.

Deep down Sawyer is a good man and because he still cares about how his actions affect others, he will never be the hardened man he presents himself to be.

...and Ben knows that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:55:42 PM by witness1111 »

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 09:20:51 PM »
I didn't think they could have really fitted a pacemaker then he could just stroll back to his cage (but I'm no doctor so I don't really know). It was clever of them to con Sawyer but I don't think it will be long before he turns the tables on them, they've given him info now - and if they're on a different island then how come they didn't see Desmond circling the island in his boat?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »
Good post and insight into Sawyer, something that nevered dawned on me. Blackrock is right also about sawyer and kids. He has his limits and will not hurt a family. Still have no idea why they want Sawyer and what his purpose is.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 05:05:09 PM »
Sawyer has a talent for manipulating others and understanding the importance of a CON... He is also good at coming up with witty one-lines.

Who knows? Maybe they need someone to paint the numbers on the rest of the bunnes' butts. He was in jail so he probably has good assembly line skills and we all know that there are a bunch of other animals that need tattooing on their bums too (someone lost polar bear 42 because they forgot to mark him).

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
I know all these posts are from a few months ago but I just thought about Sawyer and the baby again. I agree with Cardacct - I think Sawyer gets conned more than he realizes.
I think Cassie just put her newly learned skills to use and got herself a ton of cash. I know that Sawyer didn't have the cash yet when she came to see him in jail with the baby but don't we see Munson (the guy in jail with the $ played by Ian Gomez) glancing over at them? It may be as trivial as that, but what if Cassie and Munson were in on a con together somehow?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »
KAtereallylovesjuggy sure digs up some old stuff. My memory has it that Sawyer made it for the kid. Not sure if she could get her hands on it or even knows about the money.

Offline KateReallyLovesJack

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »
Yeah, I agree, I'm just reaching for anything here. But I'm always looking for dirt on Sawyer...

BTW - with the last 12 weeks, I've been lurking around this site like a maniac and keep coming across things that are so old, but could be extremely relevent soon enough (not that this is but other tidbits) Just trying to keep brushed up!  ;D