Poll

So, how is Desmond able to know about all this stuff thats happening?

He is psychic
15 (45.5%)
He traveled into the future when the hatch exploded
7 (21.2%)
He saw it in a dream that the island gave him
9 (27.3%)
He was observant and realized, "Hey its gonna rain and there could be lightning!"
1 (3%)
None of the above (post your theory below)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: What is desmonds real ability?  (Read 4851 times)

Offline bhn

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
What is desmonds real ability?
« on: October 26, 2006, 12:05:29 AM »
So once again here is the same poll i posted last week, cept now we have some more info from this ep.
so what do you think? I'm going with the visions now...

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: What is desmonds real ability?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:12:05 AM »
well actually if he saw the future then he would have seen himself make a lightning rod not see the lightning hit claire and aaron.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:21:18 AM »
Depends on how you view the future. since no one that we know can see the future, you can't tell if the future that you see is what will happen if you do something or if you ignore it.

I think that he saw that there would be lightning and if he didn't do something, Claire and Aaron and Charlie would get hurt, possibly die.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:59:48 AM »
JBRam you are really annoying the living crap out of me.  You are becoming a know it all.  I am not picking a fight, but you need to mellow out and ask more questions.  Rent I Heart Huckabees or some other deep movie.  Something that leaves you clueless.  You are an expert at everything and your like 18 years old.  Not to knock you or anything just sometimes people need to be told things others might not be willing to say. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:05:46 AM by Point Place WI »

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:21:34 AM »
I voted for Psychic

from what I have seen he is getting glimpses of the future and in tonights epi took steps to alter it

i think it is interesting that hurley has witnessed  both " foretellings  "

Offline HurleyBird

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 02:00:33 AM »
Demra, I couldnt pay attention to every detail while watching lost, I had about 10 people in the other room screaming.  Did Hurley freak out when the lightning hit because of Des's lightning rod?  We really need to find out what the heck happened to Des during that day after the implosion!!!!!!

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 02:08:55 AM »
he had a kind of  "Dude"  how did you know aboutthe rain look on his face  but they did now show his expression after the lightning struck

i really love DVR's  ;D

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:46:26 AM »
I'm voting for the time travel theory...it would help explain why he was naked for starters lol...just having visions of the future wouldn't effect one's clothing, I would imagine. But if anyone's seen the teaser trailer for the movie "The Fountain" (which is about time travel), they show the lead character's clothes being blown from his body right as he starts to travel thru time...Also, if it were only visions of the furute I would think Desmond would need to experience his visions actually coming to happen before he'd believe so fully that he wasn't just dreaming or imagining things. However, if he physically was IN the future and witnessing these things first-hand, then went back in time to before it occurred, he would be a helluva lot more likely to calmly talk about things like Locke's speech or Claire's roof needing fixing.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 02:58:30 AM »
I voted for psychic.  Specifically precognition.  I'm wondering if the survivors (other Others) of the previous "incident" are also psychic now.  I love the direction the show is taking with all this mysticism.

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:54:44 AM »
I'm going with psychic as this is one of the least "sci-fi" kind of explanations. 

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:03:24 AM »
I went with the Island giving him a dream. Not sure if I can back it up or not as Desmond hasn't really had reason to trust the island up to now, in fact he is probably the least likely to trust it!

However, I think that he had some sort of experience that has changed him. Don't forget, he was right in the 'centre of the storm' as such when he turned that key so all sorts could have happened!

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 10:44:38 AM »
Also, if it were only visions of the furute I would think Desmond would need to experience his visions actually coming to happen before he'd believe so fully that he wasn't just dreaming or imagining things.

He told hurley that it was an experament.

I think that all 3 of the implosionees have new powers now, but they are just showing desmonds since he was so close to "ground zero". Kind of like the Fantastic 4, the thing was outside and unsheilded and can't "turn off" the rock thing.

That's my crazy thought and I'm sticking with it.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 10:54:24 AM »
I kind of think that Des has precognition, but voted for time travel anyway.  :D

For wikipedia:
Precognition is a form of extra-sensory perception. Believers in precognition say it allows a "percipient" to perceive information about future places or events before they happen (as opposed to merely predicting them based on deductive reasoning and current knowledge)"

Des seems glimpses of what might happen, not what will happen. He has free will and can change the future... So he saw a lightning bolt strike the tent where Aaron was, he made a lightning rod and prevented it from killing the baby.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 01:07:53 PM »
I went with the Island giving him a dream. Not sure if I can back it up or not as Desmond hasn't really had reason to trust the island up to now, in fact he is probably the least likely to trust it!

However, I think that he had some sort of experience that has changed him. Don't forget, he was right in the 'centre of the storm' as such when he turned that key so all sorts could have happened!

i'm with you plp

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 01:14:00 PM »
Also, if it were only visions of the furute I would think Desmond would need to experience his visions actually coming to happen before he'd believe so fully that he wasn't just dreaming or imagining things.

He told hurley that it was an experament.
He told Hurley that Locke talked about going after Jack, Kate and Sawyer already, and seemed confused as to why Hurley was worried...it wasn't until Hurley "reminded" him that Locke had not made any such speech (at least not yet) that Desmond remembered..and played it off with an "Oh, yeah...right" type of response.

As for telling Hurley it was an experiment, what else was he gonna tell him...that he travelled thru time and knows this is gonna happen? From the way Desmond was contemplatively throwing rocks into the ocean while Locke gave his speech, you get the impression that Desmond is now coming to grips with the reality of what he physically experienced...he was nonchalant about Locke's speech because he had already heard it and experienced it. Since that would be the first time Desmond's "visions" would have shown to be true, wouldn't you think he'd be freaking out at the reality of that instead of off by himself, without a care whatsoever as to what Locke is saying?

I think that all 3 of the implosionees have new powers now, but they are just showing desmonds since he was so close to "ground zero". Kind of like the Fantastic 4, the thing was outside and unsheilded and can't "turn off" the rock thing.

That's my crazy thought and I'm sticking with it.
I was thinking along the same lines, but now I think only Desmond does...