Author Topic: Why are the Others so upset over Cole's death?  (Read 9388 times)

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why are the Others so upset over Cole's death?
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:57:20 PM »
Their numbers don't seem THAT large. The Losties have killed Ethan, Goodwin, plus the two unnamed killed by Eko. They also killed a few of their own. The Others never seemed that broken up over death before. Plus, if Ben said they aren't killers (I forgot his exact words), then who killed Scott (or was it Steve)?

I'm starting to get a little restless over the lack of answers. In past seasons, there were open-ended flashbacks, but they always seemed to have a purpose. After "Raised by Another", we all wondered whether the psychic put Claire on a plain that he knew was going to crash. The answer wasn't critical to advancing the plot. We know why everyone was on the plane, but the new stuff seems like fluff. This season we seem to be getting information without knowing why:
3.1 - Jack was jealous and persistent
3.2 - Sun cheated on her husband
3.3 - John is easily taken advantage of
3.4 - Sawyer, deep down, cares... or was it another long con?

The second island didn't really impress as a big reveal. Maybe it will all come together over the next two weeks. I still haven't figured out why, if this is all a big experiment, the Others allow their members to get killed and yet they keep doing what they are doing. Maybe they should have found a way to get guns out of the mix if this was all planned. And after three years, when (if) we find out why John lost the use of his legs, it better be HUGE.

scrod

Re: Why are the Others so upset over Cole's death?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:33 AM »
All the other deaths were remote, not deaths so much as people 'not coming back home' (Goodwin* Ethan couldn't fix the damned plumbing anyhow, no great loss).  This was a situation brought right back into their home and they could not fix it - the way they are used to fixing everything.

*fixed, hopefully I didn't cause a damned heart attack by waiting so long.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 11:15:05 PM by scrod »

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:57:01 AM »
All the other deaths were remote, not deaths so much as people 'not coming back home' (Goodwin coudln't fix the damned plumbing anyhow, no great loss).  This was a situation brought right back into their home and they could not fix it - the way they are used to fixing everything.
I could have sworn Ethan was working on the plumbing.  The Others were upset at this death because this was their elite team and they expected getting the sailboat to go on without a hitch.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:01:20 AM »
The first season we learned about the losties.

The second season we learned about the tailies.

This season we are learning about the others.

I would bet money that we get a Ben and/or a Juliet flashback this season.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »
They are upset because it was the guys wife (can't remember his name)

BlackrockBob

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
Maybe Coleen was important for their breeding expirements?
Maybe no one liked Goodwin or Ethan?

Spoiler
We get to see a Juliette flashback and Ethan is in it too.

Coleen is Pickett's wife.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 11:21:08 AM »
Maybe Coleen was important for their breeding expirements?
Maybe no one liked Goodwin or Ethan?

Spoiler
We get to see a Juliette flashback and Ethan is in it too.

Coleen is Pickett's wife.

Pickett that is right. Thank you. You could be right about her importance.

Offline eelpie62

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 11:57:36 AM »
I'll have to re-watch the 1st season episodes in question, but I am pretty certain it's meant to be obvious that Ethan kills Scott (or Steve). That would contradict the claim that they're not killers. Also, Benry is pretty upset about the others killed by the survivors, he has a heated exchange about them being good people when he's being held in the hatch.
On the other side of the coin, other than a few minutes of grief by the ones most closely associated with them the folk from flight 815 seem to bury their dead and move on. Sayid is the only one who seems to hold a grudge, Hurley seems to be his usual jovial self even though Libby was killed less than a week ago. Eko and Bernard would be the only ones to really grieve over Anna Lucia; Bernard hasn't been in any significant scenes since her death and Eko has had other issues...

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
All the other deaths were remote, not deaths so much as people 'not coming back home' (Goodwin coudln't fix the damned plumbing anyhow, no great loss).  This was a situation brought right back into their home and they could not fix it - the way they are used to fixing everything.
I could have sworn Ethan was working on the plumbing.  The Others were upset at this death because this was their elite team and they expected getting the sailboat to go on without a hitch.
(bump)

Ethan was working on the plumbing right?  At times it seems like some on this site are just having their own conversation. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 06:44:46 PM by San Diego Johnny »

misspensinger

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 06:53:35 PM »
Yeah, Ethan was working on Juliet's plumbing...um, I mean her house plumbing.  You are correct. ;)

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 06:55:34 PM »
Yeah, Ethan was working on Juliet's plumbing...um, I mean her house plumbing.  You are correct. ;)
Thanks much, I thought that was the case but didn't go back to my DVR.  I certainly won't ask some on this site to be eyewitnesses!  :D

misspensinger

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 07:02:38 PM »
LOL, sometimes we get caught up in an idea, sorry!

Offline ChrisB4290

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:24 AM »
Its because like they said, they dont deal with death, they are not killers.

So once it happened, they were all shocked, and it seemed like Cole was one of the top tier others.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 01:53:28 AM »
Perhaps they were all so stricken with Colleen's death because she was pregnant.

She could be the first successful fertility experiment. Think about it: They show us she's married. They tell us Juliette's a fertility doctor. There aren't any children as part of the Others.

And, if Colleen died, it would be a crushing blow to the Others, who were probably thrilled to find out she was pregnant.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 02:09:27 AM »
the others are not used to dealing with death of one of their own
and we dont know how they reacted to the other deaths  yet

also  the others  do not seem to have a problem killing the losties
so i take bens comment about " we ar not killers " with a grain of salt