Author Topic: Burnt out on mystery sans answers/Complaint thread  (Read 13095 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt out on mystery sans answers/Complaint thread
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2006, 02:37:13 PM »
Hey guys... I think from now on, I'll just keep one positive "Great episode/Lost is getting better" thread and one "Burnt out/complaint/it's starting to suck" thread going, so I merged this one with the other. 

On the actual content of the show, I thought it was a little better than the last, personally... though there were still weird moments that got a bit silly.  But I actually do like that it teases us with some answers, but holds back quite a bit.  The only time I don't like Lost is when it seems "lost" in where they are trying to go with the plot, and just trying to fill up time; and I didn't really feel that this episode personally...
I agree Pandy. The worst Epi, in my opinion, was Fire + Water because it seemed to just be a time filler. I haven't gotten the feeling of time filler overwhelmingly this year yet. Especially not in the last 2 epis.

Offline sjforcum

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2006, 02:56:17 PM »
The problem is this.

Lost is a story with a staring point and a finishing point.

The ratings success caused the writers to have to push the finishing point back and fill in the gaps.  Each year they do this and have to insert more material.

The saddest thing for me was to go back and look at the season 1 investigations.

There are just too many stories swirling around.  Nothing EVER gets buttoned up.

Think about it:

* What happened to Walt the Magnificent.  He caused the rain to stop in one episode, he read the polar bear books and then they appeared, etc.  How was he just magically appearing to Shannon whenever Vincent was around?  What did Mrs. Clue mean when she was asking Michael about him?  What did Ben mean when he said "we got way more than we bargained for when Walt came with us"?

* WHAT ABOUT THE FREAKING NUMBERS?!?!?!

* Why is John healed?  Why is Rose healed (Heck, where IS Rose?)?  How did Charlie survive the hanging?  Why does Ben (or whomever the X-RAYS belong to) STILL have cancer (not enough time in the island sun?)

* How did Ethan appear to be "magical" in his fight scenes with Jack (almost knowing each move before it happened).  How did he subdue both Charlie AND Claire to the point that he was able to HANG Charlie (i.e. why didn't Claire RUN?)

* Why do none of the survivors share information?

* Why was the toy plane so important to Kate?

* Why are people seeing things on the island (Jack with his Dad, Kate with the Horse, etc)

* WHY WAS LIBBY IN THE MENTAL HOSPITAL!?!?!

* Where is the backgammon tie in?

* Who were the people in the cave in season 1

* Where the hell is Rouseau?

Each season should have an objective.  A smaller mystery within the mystery if you will.  But it seems like a show that STARTED one way is now twisting in too many different directions....

And BTW...that doesn't even DENT the amount of questions still out there...

This is why I think in the long run, Heroes on NBC may be a better structured show.

You can have a single story arc for each season (Save the Cheerleader, Save the World IMHO is going to be THE story in season 1).  All the while you still have other stories (who is Syler, how did the genes mutate, etc).  Lost, by apparent design, just wasn't made to go on and on and on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:00:49 PM by sjforcum »

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2006, 02:56:58 PM »
I am going to be repeating this on many threads, but this show just keeps getting better. Tonight was awesome, I was glued to my seat. Kate, Jack and sawyer have the charisma that draws a viewer to the tv, You can't blink when they are on.

I'm with you Juggy. Some questions are being answered (albeit slowly). Such as where on the island the Others reside? (they don't) Yes there are many more questions, but I think that the answers will be revealed in due time. Remember the first six episodes are supposed to tell one sub-story. Then there is a break and another sub-story begins and takes 12 or so more episodes.

Anyway I'm still watching and I thought that Episode 4 was the BEST this season.

Who woulda thunk Fenry (Ben) could kick ass and take names like that?  :o

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »
I am going to be repeating this on many threads, but this show just keeps getting better. Tonight was awesome, I was glued to my seat. Kate, Jack and sawyer have the charisma that draws a viewer to the tv, You can't blink when they are on.

I'm with you Juggy. Some questions are being answered (albeit slowly). Such as where on the island the Others reside? (they don't) Yes there are many more questions, but I think that the answers will be revealed in due time. Remember the first six episodes are supposed to tell one sub-story. Then there is a break and another sub-story begins and takes 12 or so more episodes.

Anyway I'm still watching and I thought that Episode 4 was the BEST this season.

Who woulda thunk Fenry (Ben) could kick ass and take names like that?  :o
Especially while possibly having a tumor!

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2006, 03:07:57 PM »
Btw, for those saying "Patience", the last thing a tv show and its creators should be telling their audience (either directly or conveying it) is "Be patient...your questions will all be answered 5 years down the road"...lol...people will drop off like flies because "Answers" are what keeps a plotline going...you answer already existing storylines then add even better ones to take their place (and if you're REALLY good, the storyline that's been "answered" will continue to play a relevant role)...

nope cant agree.... if every situation was answered the second after it happened, then youd end up spending each episodes just putting closure to one particular incident and then reinventing another.... and whilst i dont "like" being left in the dark on certain things... i know the best movies ive EVER scene were the ones that left me guessing until the very end and i had to rewatch it over again to see how all the clues and answers were there the whole time... does lost have this ability... gawd i hope so... this show has the capability to draw viewers in each week much like a soap opera does with its twists and plots, but to have so much depth given to the characters as we have seen with each and every one of them...yes this includes micheal who i still detest... i cant see how some are calling for heads to roll if there not given there much anticipated answers yesterday... plus what goood would come out of knowing everything right now... what else is worth watching besides lost??

Well some shows are self-contained and thus each episode provides a beginning, middle and end (e.g. Seinfeld)

Other shows are strung out over an entire season (24)

The GREAT thing about Lost (IMHO) is that every season provides answers to previous questions along with some new questions. This is actually a rather new approach to TV. As stated above most people have short attention spans and are impatient (believe me, during my lectures If I don't shift gears every 10 minutes or so I see people nodding off) thus this is not a good show for those easily frustrated or who want "closure" at the end of each season.

The strengths of Lost are that it is character-driven and does not fall into the "cookie-cutter" mold of way too many TV shows.

I personally am excited about what is coming next and I am willing to wait. Although some times there are situations (or dialogue) that I find laughable, you can't expect everything to be perfect. I'll continue to watch as long as it continues with character-development and provides at least some answers in each episode (which I believe the writers will).

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2006, 03:10:52 PM »
^what he said^, i just dont have the patience to type that much...

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2006, 11:24:47 PM »
But what about the questions that NEVER get answered? They don't have time to wrap up 124 loose ends.

I love the show and won't stop watching, but the writers seem to be getting sloppy. I don't remember there being many conflicts in the first two season. We know that Ben lies, but EVERYTHING can't be a lie ("We aren't killers"... yet Goodwin snapped the neck of the guy that AL put in the hole in the Tailies camp and Ethan killed Steve.)

Maybe they are setting up a big reveal. They have 2 weeks to do it or they risk losing a bunch of people during the hiatus.

By the way, what ever happened to Cindy the Flight Attendant?
What is the sickness, since no one seems to be sick?

This season feels alot like Star Wars Episode I, including the bad acting.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2006, 11:43:53 PM »
When you read a book do you read the first two chapters and then read the last chapter to find out what happens?

As a matter of fact, I do.  I want to know if the book is worth reading.  If it's well-written then knowing the ending in advance doesn't ruin it.  It enhances it for me.  I also don't get on a train unless I know where it's going.  That way I can relax and enjoy the trip.  I'm getting frustrated with Lost, and I may be better off waiting until it comes out on dvd to watch S3.  But I'm not going to do that because I'm afraid it will be cancelled before then and there won't be any dvd's.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:56:58 AM by Sweet Old Lady »

Michelle13

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 06:39:13 AM »
I guess another reason I'm upset but NOT not watching the show...I've had SEVERAL shows that started out hot like this with questions or plots not being wrapped up..to only be cancelled that next season. Or to just change so drastically that I stopped watching it...so I'm hoping they can tie up some loose ends but still remain just as mysterious about OTHER stuff LOL I'm worried fans are getting worn down too much and might stop watching and then the show have to change or just leave. That would f*#&ing suck LOL

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 07:34:48 AM »
I think questions have been answered - often in ways that raise new questions, but hey, that's part of the fun.

Think of it as a fractal. "Big fish have little fish upon their backs to bite 'em. Little fish have smaller fish and so ad infinitum".

Most of sjforcum's questions, I believe are biggest fish questions. "Why are they there?", "What about the freakin' numbers", "what's going on with Walt", were raised in Series 1 and should last the lifetime of the show, to be answered fully only in the last few episodes. It's been hinted that Lost will run for 8 seasons, so I'm not at all worried that these questions are still open.

Smaller mysteries that span a couple of series are fine with me too.

If there had truly been no questions answered, I'd be frustrated too; but there have been plenty of mysteries raised and subsequently answered (e.g. "what's in the hatch"; remember when you didn't know that?)

Plus, less than half way through series 3, you'd expect more unknowns than knowns. I guess episode 6 will leave us desperate to know something, the season finale will close off a number of mysteries but hit us with a big new one.

I can't wait.

Offline Alvarandthechipmunks

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
No, o
Wow. People need to learn some patience. The reason this show is so good is because it keeps you guessing and gives you new things to ponder with each episode. When you read a book do you read the first two chapters and then read the last chapter to find out what happens?
No, of course you don't do that with a book....however, most novels/stories do start to "clue" you in as you read them. The well written ones follow a theme or a thread, not spread out all over the place, expecting you to be able to pick up the pieces and keep track. Lots of talk about ratings dropping. J.J. Abrams' "Alias" lost a TON of viewers the 3rd season, I think - because they would not stick to the central story! So what was their answer to increase viewership? Revamp! Abrams!!! Don't repeat the same mistake! You have something good here, don't ruin it!!! Reward the faithful! I'm beginning to think we're truly the ones "lost" - disregarded, in lieu of commercial television.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »
What is wrong with just going for the ride? I don't want all the questions answered right away, what story would be left then? They would have to make up a bunch of stuff that would just not fit, and the show would be over, and I would no longer have Wed night to look forward to.  I love the suspense, I love slowly putting the clues together with my wife (when she watches, it is a good thing that bunny did not die, let me tell you). They only have about 45 minutes each week to tell a story, and also include flashbacks to give you more back story, which leaves roughly 20 some minutes for each.  How much do you think you are going to get from 20 minutes each week?  that is the problem with our instant gratification world, everyone wants everything right away.
Me? I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round, I really love to watch them go.

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:19 PM »
All I can say is, if they don't at least answer just a COUPLE of main answers this season, they're committing viewership suicide! People can be patient, but a majority won't be patsies!

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2006, 01:27:17 PM »
But they have already answered quite a few questions, and are setting the stage for more answers.  Just look at all of the answers we have received already. We now know so much more about the capabilities of the others that we were not even aware of previous to the Claire/Medical hatch episode in Season 2. 

We know they are civilized in the manner in which they live. We know that until recently they had communications capability. We know they have a submarine (and now another boat). We know that they claim to be the good guys, but there is an apparent breakdown in their groups morals when individuals are alone. We know they have security forces made up of hotheads, and a leadership structure.

Let's face it. You wind up on an island, and encounter people who have lived there for years, and you could be walking into a combination of deliverance/hostel nightmares, but they seem to have societal and group structure to a point. 

Stop looking at Lost like a two hour movie, and start looking at it like you would if you were to begin to read the Lord of the Ring series. You know there is a considerable time investment, but there will be a big payoff at the end. 

I may be wrong, and they may twin peaks this series, but until that happens I am going to give the writers and creators the benefit of the doubt.

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
But they have already answered quite a few questions, and are setting the stage for more answers.  Just look at all of the answers we have received already. We now know so much more about the capabilities of the others that we were not even aware of previous to the Claire/Medical hatch episode in Season 2. 

We know they are civilized in the manner in which they live. We know that until recently they had communications capability. We know they have a submarine (and now another boat). We know that they claim to be the good guys, but there is an apparent breakdown in their groups morals when individuals are alone. We know they have security forces made up of hotheads, and a leadership structure.

Let's face it. You wind up on an island, and encounter people who have lived there for years, and you could be walking into a combination of deliverance/hostel nightmares, but they seem to have societal and group structure to a point. 

Stop looking at Lost like a two hour movie, and start looking at it like you would if you were to begin to read the Lord of the Ring series. You know there is a considerable time investment, but there will be a big payoff at the end. 

I may be wrong, and they may twin peaks this series, but until that happens I am going to give the writers and creators the benefit of the doubt.
Good way to look at it, msdoran. It just seems the answers are partial, and only to "little" questions.  Like someone said earlier, this is the kind of series that has a beginning and an ending, as opposed to others that just keep existing. Sitcoms seem to go on for years because it isn't really a story, it's just everyday life situations.  You know right off that this has to have an ending. With that in mind, you ask yourself, "Am I going to be so inundated with "answers" toward the end of this thing, I'm not going to be able to remember what the issues were that are being answered?" In seasons 1 and 2, the "others" were portrayed as almost super human. They seemed to be able to appear and disappear from nowhere, they had great strength, agility, we got the impression they were almost telepathic, too. Everyone at the Hydra station (and in the village at the beginning of season 1) seem to be just ordinary - including human foibles, which contradict the buildup of their mystique. I like all the details to keep track of, but at some  point, some of us are going to get overwhelmed; the bucket's gonna get to heavy to hold.