Author Topic: The Sub and Two Islands  (Read 12488 times)

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The Sub and Two Islands
« on: October 25, 2006, 11:04:55 PM »
Its how they get between the islands undetected.  Makes sense now.  The situation was Colleen getting shot.  Sorry if I'm master of the obvious.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:00:15 AM by Gordon Shumway »

BlackrockBob

Re: The Sub
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 11:06:13 PM »
I don't understand how Des didn't see the other island... Unless it was hidden due to the EM field.

So Ben has a sub. I guess that Ethan and Goodwin were dropped off and had to run to get to the Losties.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 11:10:47 PM »
I don't understand how Des didn't see the other island... Unless it was hidden due to the EM field.

So Ben has a sub. I guess that Ethan and Goodwin were dropped off and had to run to get to the Losties.

Good Point and also Danielle or Micheal Walt Sawyer and Jin....they should have been able to see it on a blue bird day when they set sail.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 11:30:06 PM »
I think that the original OTHERs' camp was on the Island, not Alcatraz.

Probably Des did see the second island, but didn't really care. He just wanted to get away.

M-W-S probably were on the opposite side of the island from Alcatraz, therefore wouldn't be able to see it. ESPECIALLY if Alcatraz is "under the camera" in the wide shot of the island that we got in 3x01. The Losties would be on a completely opposite side of the island than Alcatraz.

Of course, someone might come up with a theory that Alcatraz is a mobile island... I doubt it.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 11:41:34 PM »
Niether one of the islands is called Alcatraz he just says the island they are on is twice the size of alcatraz.    I dont think that is the island that they are on   i think everyone is on the same island and that is just a way to keep sawyer contained.  No one has ever seen that island because it is at a point where the others keep the losties away from.      remember them telling them not to ever cross the line

Offline bhn

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 11:44:51 PM »
it does make sense, now here is the big question, is the village with the houses and such on the prison island or the main camp/original island?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 11:48:40 PM »
Niether one of the islands is called Alcatraz he just says the island they are on is twice the size of alcatraz.    I dont think that is the island that they are on   i think everyone is on the same island and that is just a way to keep sawyer contained.  No one has ever seen that island because it is at a point where the others keep the losties away from.      remember them telling them not to ever cross the line
Yes, I know. I'm just calling it Alcatraz so that it's obvious which Island I was referring to.

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 11:53:49 PM »
I'd say the island's name is Pala...

At sea level the curvature of the earth limits the range of vision to 2.9 miles. The formula for determining how many miles an individual can see at higher levels is the square root of his altitude times 1.225. Thus on a clear day at 1,000 feet a person with normal vision can see 39 miles; at 10,000 feet, 123 miles; at 25,000 feet, 194 miles.

Kinda shoots down the theory that the island is out of range at sea level.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 11:57:27 PM »
one more thing about them being on two different islands is   how did the bears get accross the water.    bears were in the cages but now with the losties        i dont think they can swim the ocean          but then again they are polar bears living with no snow  so who knows really.

and can who ever started this thread change the name to someting about the two islands

scrod

Re: The Sub and Two Islands
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »
I'd say the island's name is Pala...

At sea level the curvature of the earth limits the range of vision to 2.9 miles. The formula for determining how many miles an individual can see at higher levels is the square root of his altitude times 1.225. Thus on a clear day at 1,000 feet a person with normal vision can see 39 miles; at 10,000 feet, 123 miles; at 25,000 feet, 194 miles.

Kinda shoots down the theory that the island is out of range at sea level.
That would be true if the other island were at sea level, but it is obviously got some elevation.  What matters is not just your height, but also the height of the object you are looking at.  Therefore, they could see it from quite a distance away, but didn't. 

The crash site island is quite large, absolutely possible they have not been on that side of the island that has a view of 'Pala'.   Might be why the Others controlled their access to it.

Offline witness1111

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 12:16:14 AM »
one more thing about them being on two different islands is   how did the bears get accross the water.    bears were in the cages but now with the losties        i dont think they can swim the ocean          but then again they are polar bears living with no snow  so who knows really.

and can who ever started this thread change the name to someting about the two islands

actually, last week someone posted some info about polar bears and it turns out they are excellent swimmers with quite a range.

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 02:27:01 AM »
It's simple to believe that the part of the crash island that faces the small island is territory that the Losties have not explored.  Remember Danielle said she has never even seen the others, so I doubt she's seen the island.  Also, if the raft was going in the opposite direction, they'd never see the other island.  Finally when Walt and Michael left, they were told to follow a compass setting of 325, which if my calculations are correct is north north westward, which would not put him near the small island from the Pala pier if the small island is other than north westward.

Edit: compass setting corrected
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:37:33 AM by San Diego Johnny »

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »
The actual Alcatraz is not very large...even in the San Francisco bay it doesn't stand out all that much. With a fog you'd never even know it's there. I think the "Alcatraz" they're on now seemed much closer to the actual island everyone else is on simply because of how they chose to shoot the scene (which was probably an error on their part, not quite thinking it all the way through)...in reality that island, if seen by any of the crash survivors, would look like a speck of a rock and in no way would indicate that anything close to civilization would be found there.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 02:36:29 AM »
one more thing about them being on two different islands is   how did the bears get accross the water.    bears were in the cages but now with the losties        i dont think they can swim the ocean          but then again they are polar bears living with no snow  so who knows really.

polar bears are excellent swimmers and can swim for very long distances
as witness pointed out  
i think it is 2  islands  and the sub was used to travel between them
the Others camp with the huts is on the same island as the plane crash

Johnny  the heading that michael  was told to follow was 325  not 235

not sure if it was a typo or if you had it wrong  

Offline HurleyBird

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 02:43:42 AM »
Like someone in of the other posts stated.  Could be that once the EMP went off it took down a forcefield that was protecting the other island.  Dont mean to sound " Star Trekish", but it could be a possibility.  Because Des would have definately seen it if he had been circling the island for a few weeks.  A point brought up by a friend of mine.  So they have been there for 70 days now, and not one person has tried walking around the island ???  That would be one of my first things to do after a plain crash, although, maybe not after hearing the monster and trees being taken down.....