Author Topic: Access to the Outside World  (Read 2396 times)

Offline smoravec

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Access to the Outside World
« on: October 17, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
I think their access to the outside world is limited.

1) They still using those dilapidated monitors in the monitoring station at the Hydra. However, they showed the World Series on a nice color TV.

2) There has not been much upkeep on the former Dharma stations, the loading dock, etc. However, the house shown at the Book Club was definitely modern and comfortable as the rest of the village looked fairly well kept.

3) From the Book Club, they must have access to a variety of current reading material as they get to choose a new book each month that they all read and have their own copy.  This also shows they are in it for the long haul and have activities to keep them from going bonkers.

4) If the Others are responsible for the supply drops, why the Dharma brand on food items?  Why not just normal stuff?  In the first episode with Desmond and the first look inside the hatch, there were name brand non-food items (like the bottle of Tide on the washer).  Any rhyme or reason to Dharma branded food items and those that aren't?

5) They obviously have communcation links to the outside world from the bio on Jack and the taping of the World Series. Is this the extent of it?  Getting back to the books and the building materials, I think not. 

6) We haven't seen any vehicles yet.  If they had unlimited access to the outside world, living on a tropical island, I think I'd be for having a Hummer with a winch mounted on the front grill!  So then, what's the road for? To narrow for a landing strip.

7) They have access to medical supplies from the Claire episode.  They don't appear to be making them themselves, so they must come from off island.  Who's supplying them and how?

Offline Sara

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Access to the Outside World
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:30:25 PM »
Good question...  Who is supplying them? 

Did you mean to say that you don't think that Darma is supplying the food drops.

Somewhere in this site, I think, I saw a post and a screen cap of a white van on the island.  That is the only vehicle reference I've seen so far.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »
Are the OTHERS actually supplying the air drops? It seems to me that it is entirely Dharma's (or Hanso using Dharma's name) doing.

misspensinger

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 07:51:18 PM »
Welcome SMoravec, another Californian!!  Go introduce yourself on the Welcome thread.

I agree I think the question is who is supplying them??  You make some good observations.  Have you considered that maybe the old equipment is for looks?  To make our losties think they are outdated or something?  Like Sara said there is a thread I think in investigations, as well, where a suv/van was spotted, we are not sure if it is a prop error or if we were meant to find it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 08:42:05 PM by alwayslost »

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »
i agree that their access is LIMITED, but not completely gone.  i think they rely on the powers that be (whomever that is) to supply them with what they have, but i think they can contact TPTB, to get certain things they want (such as 20 copies of Carrie).  i don't think they can get off the island, but i don't know that they really want to.  they seem to be the type that are okay with their lives the way they are.

welcome!  and go introduce yourself!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 11:27:30 PM »
i agree that their access is LIMITED, but not completely gone.  i think they rely on the powers that be (whomever that is) to supply them with what they have, but i think they can contact TPTB, to get certain things they want (such as 20 copies of Carrie).  i don't think they can get off the island, but i don't know that they really want to.  they seem to be the type that are okay with their lives the way they are.

welcome!  and go introduce yourself!

how are  supplies brought in prior to magnetic field being released though

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
the supplies are most likely brought by homing in on a raido signal on a special frequancy

as far as the older equipment   why would you replace it if it still worked i dont think it is made to Look old to fool anyone  i think it is old
but like the washer and dryer in the hatch  when something breaks the Others request replacments

Offline Zeke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:29:44 PM »
I still reckon that the others are dharma or atleast were but havent bothered telling the outside dharma people that they're not doing what they want but the others are doing their own big psychological experiment. The look that the women (i cant remember her name lol) gave to Fenry/Ben and then he said good work (first episode) makes me think that they're trying to get into Jacks head and see what his feelings/re-actions are to what they're gonna throw at him. The same with Saywer and kate to see their reactions to whats happening to them. Also the fact that the Operant Conditioning Theory (its in a post of mine of the first episode board) was being used was way to convenient.