Author Topic: Others FACTS  (Read 8335 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Others FACTS
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:32 PM »
28. They subject their captives to manual labour on a land-clearing project (maybe just to break them down, maybe building a road or farming field or something else?).

Were others working there as well..I can't remember?!?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2006, 04:37:31 PM »
29. They conduct skinner box like experiments.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 05:09:39 PM »
30. They all appear to shop at "The Gap" although I didn't see one on the map anywhere! ;D

Offline KitsuneRisu

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:46 PM »
>4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on >any new "visitors" to the island.

Thinking about it...the fact they have some connection to the outside world, to conduct research on survivors and their past lives...is entirely possible. Look at the tragedy of TWA Flight 800. By surfing the web you can find detailed information on the passengers. I assume it's similar with the Oceanic flight. A lot of information, memorial pages, articles, on the passengers, especially the Americans. Still curious about "how" they gather the information so quickly.

So quickly?  They had 2 monthes to gather it...

Yes, but I believe they know a lot about them much earlier. Don't think of it only in the scope of what they know NOW, they knew a LOT about the LOSTies back then when they first infiltrated the group. even one month to get personal, in depth data on people, especially a whole bunch of them, is no small task.

Also -> Sara, it's not confirmed that they can't leave the island. Maybe they really can. HansoJr is right when he says that this is all speculation.. but it works in both ways.  ;D

Jugdish -> Good point with the Skinner Box, but was that done by THEM, or by whomever was at hydra station before them? Knowing well that the hydra station represented animal testing of some kind, it might have been conducted by the original Dharma Group rather than the current OTHERs. Also we don't know why they stopped the experiments and let the animals go. Or... did they escape en masse?

Offline Dracos

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 11:32:47 PM »
I don't think the others can't leave the island because they are prevented.  It's kind of like Superman leaving the rays of our sun.  He might lose his super powers.  The others have shown some significant skills at times.  Ethan and Goodwin were able to reach the vastly separated crash sites in a couple of hours from the village.  Never mind dragging Claire and "Anakin" along. Maybe this goes away or their extended lives slow down.  Along with what ever advantages they have on the island.

Also, weren't some of the adults abducted from the tailies' camps.  I think Mr. Echo(sp?) was being taken when he killed 2 of the others.  Seems like some adults are of interest but all kids are.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 11:34:56 PM by Dracos »

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2006, 12:17:11 AM »
>4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on >any new "visitors" to the island.

Thinking about it...the fact they have some connection to the outside world, to conduct research on survivors and their past lives...is entirely possible. Look at the tragedy of TWA Flight 800. By surfing the web you can find detailed information on the passengers. I assume it's similar with the Oceanic flight. A lot of information, memorial pages, articles, on the passengers, especially the Americans. Still curious about "how" they gather the information so quickly.

Well, if they had access to the net, and all of this info was there (specifically suppplied to the others), it doesn't take long...I think the info is there. I think it's been there for a while because it's actually some years/months after the crash, somehow...the recording of the Red Socks is old news to the others IMO (I have nothing to back this up)...off my own topic, I know! :P

It is about a month old at this point. It is around Novembe 27th 2004 The world series would of ended aroung the end of October 24th
That footage is from October 27, 2004, I know because October 28 is my birthday and I'm a Red Sox fan. 

scrod

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2006, 12:31:33 AM »
33. They have sufficient medical knowledge to gain veinous access
32. They administer drugs to captives
33.  They have enough leisure time from their pursuits to meet socially

mindsparkle

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2006, 02:16:46 AM »
I like Scrod's additions... they do hit the vein it seems and they do have drugs and they do have time for social activities...

I think they may know about the operations of the Dharma sites not necessarily because they were there but through tribal knowledge... Juliet/Ben weren't old enough to have participated in experiments in the 70's but Tom is... 

then again, maybe those are some of their favorite childhood memories... oh, mommy what are doing to that shark?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »
Cool list, guys.  I'm a little iffy on "intimate knowledge of the disease", because I'm wondering if they just inject what they are told to inject, and are as clueless as everyone else.   But it's likely they do know more than the losties, certainly.

34. Some of their technology is very recent (tasers, CDs)

35. They use facilities and items with the DHARMA logo (food packages, Ethan's keychain--see Investigations)

36. Juliet does not deny the connection to DHARMA when Jack says "So, you guys are what's left over of DHARMA, right?"
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 11:57:46 AM by Pandora »

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
maybe we could quote and edit  to keep the list complied and easier to keep up on

1. They live on an isolated island in a well maintained village with at least some modern conveniences.

2. They speak with American accents.

3. They have the ability to view (recently?) recorded U.S.A. television.

4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on any new "visitors" to the island.

5. They abduct specific people based on re-con, especially children, for unknown reasons.

6. They use costumes to appear less civilized than then really are to outsiders.

7. They have a hierarchy of sorts with Ben in some position of power.

8. They have an abundant food and source and fresh water.

9. They have access to at least some of the DHARMA stations & supplies.

10. They traded their (only?) boat and 2 prisoners for Jack, Sawyer and Kate.

11. They are relatively few in numbers (25 to 50 people?).

12. They have guns & other weapons.

13. They have an agenda.

14. They might have at one time been in charge of the facilities, but have long since abandoned their original use.

15. They have other enemies on the island (and perhaps off) besides the LOSTies

16. They know about the original uses of the facilities. This shows that they were present at least when they were still in use; perhaps giving us a frame that they may have been there up to 40 years ago.

17. They are specific in the people that they kidnap.

18. Tom is dumb for not liking Kate.

19. The Others stay on the island by choice.

20. The others have intricate knowledge about the disease

21. A podcast has confirmed that there are multiple factions of others

22. They now have a sail boat.

23. Ben has lived there his whole life.

25. Some of the others are showing discontent with the leadership and direction of the others. i.e. alex, Karl and Juliette at times.

26. Ben spends part of his time watching captives

27. Kate is hot.

Sorry wrong list. ;)

28. They subject their captives to manual labour on a land-clearing project (maybe just to break them down, maybe building a road or farming field or something else?).

29. They conduct skinner box like experiments.
30. They all appear to shop at "The Gap" although I didn't see one on the map anywhere!

31. They have sufficient medical knowledge to gain veinous access
32. They administer drugs to captives
33.  They have enough leisure time from their pursuits to meet socially

35. They use facilities and items with the DHARMA logo (food packages, Ethan's keychain--see Investigations)

36. Juliet does not deny the connection to DHARMA when Jack says "So, you guys are what's left over of DHARMA, right?"

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
just googled myself and came up "empty" :(   ... but in saying that... im sure if the police/fbi did a search they'd have reading material to last them days... point being whoever does get the "info" on these losties is doing more than an indepth sear4ch of them... because i didnt see shock on colleens face when sun spoke english... and this wasnt something that could be obtained by anyone without "insider" information on her as we see her own "husband" didnt know nor would any background check... if they had captured jin then there would have been NO WAY to communicate with him about putting down the gun... someone knows every single detail about every single lostie.. even the personal stuff they think only they know about themselves... this goes alot deeper than any google search can bring up and it lends to the theory that they were brought to the island.... with more baggage than just what they physically carried on...

leading to another question and that is...are weekly seminars on these people being held...with homework assignments handed out for the "if" case that you were to run into a lostie than you'd have information on them to speak of like colleen did?  who in the others camps gets to know what ben/juliette/colleen/tom know? are they all aware of ALL of the losties... cause whilst i did ok at school... having to memorise 49 peoples LIVES ver batem isnt exactly my idea of fun!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:01:55 PM by ozman776 »

scrod

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »

Actually, most of the technology doesn't seem to be recent.  Taser's were widely used in the 70's and CD's in the 80's.  All the medical stuff, other weapons, etc. seem to be 70's or even older (like the rifles, TV monitors and vacuum tube system). 

I know this will 'out' me as a food geek, but the most advanced thing I  have seen is in Juliet's kitchen.  When she takes the muffins out of the oven, in the background there is a teflon tool that looks to be a spaghetti server.  That is a much more recent thing.  Nothing else in the kitchen looked that new, however.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
scord  i have never seen a taser that did not have wires attahed to the electroids that it fired

the styles i have seen either are a hand held device that does not shoot anything
or a gun style that has the wires

the Others seem to have a combo unit  that has no wires

that seems more advanced then the 90's

lol i also noticed the non sitck pan the muffins came out and thought that is not from the 70's
;D

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2006, 12:59:53 PM »

Actually, most of the technology doesn't seem to be recent.  Taser's were widely used in the 70's and CD's in the 80's.  All the medical stuff, other weapons, etc. seem to be 70's or even older (like the rifles, TV monitors and vacuum tube system). 

I know this will 'out' me as a food geek, but the most advanced thing I  have seen is in Juliet's kitchen.  When she takes the muffins out of the oven, in the background there is a teflon tool that looks to be a spaghetti server.  That is a much more recent thing.  Nothing else in the kitchen looked that new, however.

Scrod, by "recent", I guess I meant that only as a relative term, i.e. 80s and on (whereas DHARMA itself is from the 70s, so that does set up certain timeline scenarios).  This is in contrast to the technology in the Swan station, for example.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:01:39 PM by Pandora »

mindsparkle

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2006, 05:36:08 PM »
Just FYI

With all the talk about tasers and other technology of the others I started a new thread under theories and speculations  asking how technologically adept we think the others are