Author Topic: Others FACTS  (Read 8335 times)

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Others FACTS
« on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:42 PM »
I have been trying to make a list of the UNDISPUTED KNOWN FACTS about the Others as of this week to try and figure them out, so far I have....

1. They live on an isolated island in a well maintained village with at least some modern conveniences.

2. They speak with American accents.

3. They have the ability to view (recently?) recorded U.S.A. television.

4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on any new "visitors" to the island.

5. They abduct specific people based on re-con, especially children, for unknown reasons.

6. They use costumes to appear less civilized than then really are to outsiders.

7. They have a hierarchy of sorts with Ben in some position of power.

8. They have an abundant food and source and fresh water.

9. They have access to at least some of the DHARMA stations & supplies.

10. They traded their (only?) boat and 2 prisoners for Jack, Sawyer and Kate.

11. They are relatively few in numbers (25 to 50 people?).

12. They have guns & other weapons.

13. They have an agenda.

...anyone care to add?

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Others FACTS
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:56:10 PM »
i will have to look  again but i dont think they gave away their only boat

it looked different from the one they used to grab Walt

i could be wrong about that 

to add

they do NOT  know everything that is going on  on the island ( did not know about the sail boat or apparently Desmond )

Offline KitsuneRisu

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 02:20:06 PM »
I think we can answer a few of the 'whys' of this and classify them under a few presumptions. If that is indeed the reason FOR gathering these facts in the first place.

1. They live on an isolated island in a well maintained village with at least some modern conveniences.
Theories: These are the villages spoken of in the Sri Lanka Video. We assume that the Others have taken over the villages after the whole place was abandoned some time ago, in order to do their own thing. They just moved in, and took over. Maybe this might mean that they were'nt the original habitants of the place, but we can DEFINITELY say that they own it now.

2. They speak with American accents.
I think we can't use this as much of proof of anything. I'm pretty sure that accents don't a race make. Since Ben had said that he had lived there all his life, regardless of what nationality he was, he would still have a unified accent based on his socialization with the people around him. what we DO know is that they ARE Americans, have been trained by Americans, but maybe not ALL of them. (source: Hanso Foundation Orientation Videos). Also note that I'm pretty sure their resident 'psychic spook' woman, Bea Klugh, is not of American descent. She looks African, perhaps? I'm generalizing. Her accent is definintely not Americanized though.

3. They have the ability to view (recently?) recorded U.S.A. television.
They HAVE a television, even. If we believe Ben, they DO have regular contact with the outside world. So yes, this is just proof backing it up. Either way you want to see it, they managed to get a video of the Red Sox winning, and regardless of HOW they got it, or WHY they got it, or WHAT they used it for, it is proof of their connection with the outside world. I think we can SAFELY say that they HAVE REGULAR CONTACT with the MAIN LANDS, and this is only just proof that they do. Reclassify.

4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on any new "visitors" to the island.
Once agian, this could only come from an outside source. Infiltration only gets you so much. They know too much with minimal contact. Ergo; they have outside contact. Same as point 3.

5. They abduct specific people based on re-con, especially children, for unknown reasons.
I'm thinking they already knew who they wanted before the infiltration. As soon as they saw the plane going down, they went online, checked it out, got their files. Got interested; the infiltration was only to find out who was alive, their progress and keep tabs on how much they knew. No data-gathering on personal information whatsoever was done; this is my belief. I think they get children because they're easy to manipulate and easy to capture. Not to mention, Walt seems to have some abilities they are interested in. Maybe they've already got what they needed, and let him go? Maybe he wasn't what they were looking for? But it seems they target children out of convinience, and also it's easier to raise children to your side if they don't know otherwise.

6. They use costumes to appear less civilized than then really are to outsiders.
Methinks this is so that they can fool them, just as easy as that.

7. They have a hierarchy of sorts with Ben in some position of power.
However, Ben refers to another 'him', but it's clear that Ben is some sort of unofficial leader.

8. They have an abundant food and source and fresh water.
Again; because they have regular access to the outside. There was also a supply drop around the swan station way back when. Same point.

9. They have access to at least some of the DHARMA stations & supplies.
I think all of their stuff is Dharma stuff. This one, I'm not sure. Could someone from Dharma be working with them? They ARE supposed to BE Dharma people, after all. This is a point still up for debate.

10. They traded their (only?) boat and 2 prisoners for Jack, Sawyer and Kate.
They have a boat again. They stole Desmond's boat from Sun, and were quite desperate to get it, too.

11. They are relatively few in numbers (25 to 50 people?).
As far as we know =)

12. They have guns & other weapons.
Same point. Access to outside.

13. They have an agenda.
Well of course they do.

Here's some other observations.

14. They might have at one time been in charge of the facilities, but have long since abandoned their original use.

15. They have other enemies on the island (and perhaps off) besides the LOSTies

16. They know about the original uses of the facilities. This shows that they were present at least when they were still in use; perhaps giving us a frame that they may have been there up to 40 years ago.

17. They are specific in the people that they kidnap.

18. Tom is dumb for not liking Kate.

19. The Others stay on the island by choice.

20. The others have intricate knowledge about the disease

21. A podcast has confirmed that there are multiple factions of others

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 02:50:36 PM »
Here's some other observations.

14. They might have at one time been in charge of the facilities, but have long since abandoned their original use.

15. They have other enemies on the island (and perhaps off) besides the LOSTies

16. They know about the original uses of the facilities. This shows that they were present at least when they were still in use; perhaps giving us a frame that they may have been there up to 40 years ago.

17. They are specific in the people that they kidnap.

18. Tom is dumb for not liking Kate.

19. The Others stay on the island by choice.

20. The others have intricate knowledge about the disease

21. A podcast has confirmed that there are multiple factions of others

These really aren't factual observations, but more opinions and possible foilers.

I don't think the Others stay on the island by choice.  I think they're forced to stay there.  Just because they can receive information from the outside world, doesn't mean they have the power to up and leave the island.  I think Jack was right.  They're prisoners just like him.  I think Ben doesn't want him knowing that or he won't do what Ben wants him to do...

#18 is the only one I completely agree with...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 02:54:01 PM by HansoJr »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »
22. They now have a sail boat.

23. Ben has lived there his whole life.

Offline KitsuneRisu

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:05:28 PM »
I believe that they aren't prisoners because the things that they have with them are luxuries. things like a modern CD players. Heavy weapons, too. there's no possible way that anyone could keep them there as a prisoner with that kind of firepower AND let them live like kings. And if they can recieve equipment, there is logically no reason why they couldn't hop on board if they wanted to. They have current and easy communication with whomever is piping them stuff from the outside, too - that's how they can get information so easily.

Alright, so they ARE more observations than really extremely hard facts, and I might be wrong, but I think, logically, they are sound. But again, that's opinion. ^_^

and 23's only correct if we decide that Ben's been telling Jack the truth.

I believe that whatever they say amongst themselves can be taken as the truth because they'd have no reason to lie to each other. They have no.. WAY to lie to each other. They ARE themselves. Anything they say to a LOSTie should be taken with a grain of salt. Thoughts? Can we trust JJ not to lie to US?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:07:02 PM by KitsuneRisu »

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:17:51 PM »
Giving them the modern things and food keeps them doing their job.  Remember they're on an island in the middle of the South Pacific.  Hundreds, if not thousands of miles from any main land. And it is somehow well hidden from the rest of the world, with only 1 way out (supposedly).  Someone is keeping them there.  Someone decides who leaves and who stays and it isn't Ben.  Most likely Ben just sent Micheal and Walt to the other "Others"  The gatekeepers of the island.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:25:02 PM by HansoJr »

Offline Garrobo28

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
>4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on >any new "visitors" to the island.

Thinking about it...the fact they have some connection to the outside world, to conduct research on survivors and their past lives...is entirely possible. Look at the tragedy of TWA Flight 800. By surfing the web you can find detailed information on the passengers. I assume it's similar with the Oceanic flight. A lot of information, memorial pages, articles, on the passengers, especially the Americans. Still curious about "how" they gather the information so quickly.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:29:29 PM »
25. Some of the others are showing discontent with the leadership and direction of the others. i.e. alex, Karl and Juliette at times.

Offline nothingbutsky

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:33:09 PM »
>4. They are prepared to quickly gather specific (yet unknown) information on >any new "visitors" to the island.

Thinking about it...the fact they have some connection to the outside world, to conduct research on survivors and their past lives...is entirely possible. Look at the tragedy of TWA Flight 800. By surfing the web you can find detailed information on the passengers. I assume it's similar with the Oceanic flight. A lot of information, memorial pages, articles, on the passengers, especially the Americans. Still curious about "how" they gather the information so quickly.

Well, if they had access to the net, and all of this info was there (specifically suppplied to the others), it doesn't take long...I think the info is there. I think it's been there for a while because it's actually some years/months after the crash, somehow...the recording of the Red Socks is old news to the others IMO (I have nothing to back this up)...off my own topic, I know! :P

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »

Well, if they had access to the net, and all of this info was there (specifically suppplied to the others), it doesn't take long...I think the info is there. I think it's been there for a while because it's actually some years/months after the crash, somehow...the recording of the Red Socks is old news to the others IMO (I have nothing to back this up)...off my own topic, I know! :P

It is about a month old at this point. It is around Novembe 27th 2004 The world series would of ended aroung the end of October 24th

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 03:45:10 PM »

So quickly?  They had 2 monthes to gather it...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 03:47:53 PM by HansoJr »

Offline Sara

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:20 PM »
So they defiantly have contact with the outside world and get updated equipment, clothes, etc... But they can not leave the island to go to the outside world.  Does Ben want to leave?  Is that why he told Jack that HE would TAKE him home?

I'd like to think that Ben was telling Jack the truth, to get him sucked in to whatever his plan - or someone else's plan - is. 

Juliet is too calm and collected at all times.  She reminds me of a Stepford wife!   :o

BlackrockBob

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2006, 03:56:29 PM »
26. Ben spends part of his time watching captives.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »
27. Kate is hot.

Sorry wrong list.