Author Topic: Ben has lived on the island "all of his life"  (Read 10971 times)

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
I believe DHARMA choose the island because of its special properties.  They may have assumed it was uninhabited.  But the island appears to have a long history of inhabitants... eg. the blackrock, the four-toed statue, adam and eve (in the caves), etc.

As for the earthquake, I have no answer.  I was wondering the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 06:19:05 PM by HansoJr »

misspensinger

This is also being discussed at http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=2747.0

Do we know for sure that it was an earthquake?

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ben can't have known about the button being pushed because he didn't know about Desmond being there. Also, their houses could have been damaged the second time but they were all stood on the pier then and we have only seen their houses at the time of the crash.

Maybe there is some reason they don't go over to the other side of the island often?

misspensinger

Do you think it is the "monster" which is returning next week??

Offline Dracos

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Ben has lived on the island "all of his life"
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2006, 11:01:05 PM »
Don't forget that Ben said something like "Yes Jack, why don't we leave the island."  I bet there is much to come from that quip.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 01:01:40 AM »
If they were born on the island then the island does not make the others infertile. So this changes many theories on why they need the children. Now if Ben was brought there young in another crash, ie like Alex then the fertility isues are back

not necessarily juggy the infertility  could have been a result of an experiment gone wrong
or exposure to the magnetic field on the island

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
How could Ben be on the island his whole life when Darhma came there in the 70's? Also, if Ben and the "others" were a part of Darhma, (which is supposed to be long gone), why was he not concerned with the button and the pearl station? He called it a joke. If there was an earthquake on the island from the magnet on Sept. 22, 2004, then there would have been another one only bigger. No Damage to their houses?

we have not seen the Others camp sence the hatch explosion

we have only seen the hydra station

the whole place could have been leveled by the hatch event

mindsparkle

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 01:16:04 AM »
Right now it seems reasonable to me that the Dharma experiments included Utopian Society and they convinced pregnant couples to come live on the island and raise their children.  Some of the old people maybe parents of the younger ones, etc. 

I could also go so far as to think that Dharma adopted infants from all over the world and brought them to the island to raise a better human being, a contributor to the ideal of an Utopian Society.... the kids were raised in a very structured environment and that's why they lack social skills...  Notice most of the others aren't very social, talkative or sympathetic.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2006, 01:18:55 AM »
all very good possibilites
damn  we need a little more info
and i dont think we are going to get any in this up comming episode

mindsparkle

Opinions, I've got lots of those... here another one... I think the island may have had inhabitants but they were killed off in the building of Dharma and/or the virus release and/or whatever the incident was... but maybe Ben and his group are trying to shut down the one last standing Dharma operation, the hatch and the electromagnetic anomoly... and for this they consider themselves good.  Maybe they are trying to preserve their home on the island and don't want any one else there... 

I still don't understand that if this were the case, why not go there take over the hatch and shut it down... or are they afraid of something?  Having lived there your whole life, you would pretty much know the whole island and it's history... so the big mystery may not be how they came to be there but why are they still there?

Offline Chefpyro

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
In response, I think they are there because they can't leave....maybe? It just doesn't make sense to me that Desmond can sail around the world and not be able to pull away from the magnets or the monster or whatever it is that has them there. With his experience, he would have no problem.The Black Rock, the crazy guy's listening station, the science expedition, the "Elizabeth", the smiley face balloon, Oceanic 815 ( brought down by Desmond on Sept.22,2004 ), all of these objects being attracted to the island is the same reason they are unable to leave. However now the magnet is off. My guess it's what they're talking about in the polar station.

mindsparkle

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2006, 04:38:56 PM »
Hi, Chefpyro, you reminded me that Juliet said, "Oh, they have a boat, let them sail around in circles, that'll keep 'em busy."  So they still can't get off the island even with the magnetic thing turned off... Wonder how Ben thinks he can take someone home?  And, if he can, why are any of them still there, why haven't they already left?

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2006, 08:32:37 PM »
I am not convinced that they want to leave

i suggested that  Ben might want to leave the island Only as a reason why he wanted the sailboat so badly

but i am not convinced that the Others want to leave

mindsparkle

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »
I'm not so sure Ben wants to leave but I think he wanted that boat... maybe just to keep the other faction of "others" from getting it, or at least to keep the losties from getting out and about and finding their village...

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »
most likely  from what we know at this point