Author Topic: Ben has lived on the island "all of his life"  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Sara

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Ben has lived on the island "all of his life"
« on: October 12, 2006, 02:42:42 PM »
When Benry told Jack that he has lived on the island all of his life, was he saying he was born there?  "Created" there as part of an experiment?  :o  That is going to play into something BIG I think.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Ben has lived on the island "all of his life"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 02:46:16 PM »
Well, it could mean literally all his life, or it could mean a greater part of his life. Like, I have lived here, where I am all my life, but we actually moved here when I was 8. You know what I mean?? I think it means his entire life, but I always keep those kinds of things open.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »
Ben could have meant all of the life that mattered.
I don't trust anything Ben says. I don't think he is a clone, because there is supposed to be a no clones statement on a podcast (or something).

Could he have been born there? Maybe.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:59:37 PM »
I'm sure by saying that, he meant MOST of his life at least. I think he was born off-island, possibly in either the States or Canada. He now just wants to go home.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 03:07:29 PM »
I was also pondering the context of this statement. I think most of you are right in that most of his life was probably spent on the island. But I also got the sense that maybe what he knows about life is what he's learned and experienced having been on the island.

misspensinger

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »
I disagree.  I think he has been there his whole life, I am sticking to my guns on this one.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »
Ben looks to be over 40 to me.  Maybe his scars make him look older.  That would mean if he was born there it would be 1964 or earlier.  That was before the DHARMA Initative.  We've been told that the island has a lot of history, so it plausable that he was born there.  However, I think he may be the only one that was out of that group...

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »
Good point... I doubt that he's been there since birth.

I also think he was BORN, not from a test tube.

Offline jtslost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 08:57:33 PM »
Maybe Ben is somehow related to the people whose corpses Jack found in the caves in season 1...  I don't think all of the others were Dharma because Kelvin who worked for Dharma talked about "hostiles"

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 09:00:17 PM »
That's true. Good point, JT. However, Kelvin was a relatively new Dharma member than Ben would be if Ben were Dharma. I think it's still too early to tell for absolute certainty.

Offline jtslost

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
I think it's interesting how you don't here much about those corpses... they kindof been forgotten... plus Jack took something off of one of them.. I think they were some kind of gem or stone or something)

I agree.. it's too soon to tell and really depends on how you take the "I've been on this island my whole life" statement.  I don't think ben could have been part of Dharma and born on the island unless he's much younger than he looks.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 09:17:13 PM »
I thought this moment was one of the coolest this week by far. Frankly, I thought that was the first completely honest thing Ben has said to Jack. When he said all "his life" I took that literally, meaning he was born and raised there and likely never left the island. I totally agree with what someboady said early that this tidbit of information is really important and will play out further in future episodes. I love the mind games they are playing with Jack, and when Ben "introduced" himself, I felt that he was genuinely offering Jack a clean slate; a "lets start over" sort of moment. He did act surprised when Jack wouldn't take his hand, but deep down I think he knows he couldn't break Jack that easily.

But yeah, I think our buddy Ben (I'm not calling him Benry/Fenry anymore) was being completely honest and literal which makes me think that perhaps these Others are part of a group that was there before Dharma, hence why they keep insisting that they are "the good guys".

God this season rocks.

Offline bayrodney

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
BobBX542 has some truth in what he says. I believe Ben literally meant he's been there 'all' his life. My father's been in Australia all his life, though he moved from England when he was 5 years old. I think it's a figure of speech.
I'm still not counting out that Ben was conceieved and born on the island.

misspensinger

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 11:28:37 PM »
But yeah, I think our buddy Ben (I'm not calling him Benry/Fenry anymore) was being completely honest and literal which makes me think that perhaps these Others are part of a group that was there before Dharma, hence why they keep insisting that they are "the good guys".

God this season rocks.
This seems very plausible to me and have also suggested this elsewhere.  It makes the most sense to me.  :)

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:52:31 AM »
I thought this moment was one of the coolest this week by far. Frankly, I thought that was the first completely honest thing Ben has said to Jack. When he said all "his life" I took that literally, meaning he was born and raised there and likely never left the island. I totally agree with what someboady said early that this tidbit of information is really important and will play out further in future episodes. I love the mind games they are playing with Jack, and when Ben "introduced" himself, I felt that he was genuinely offering Jack a clean slate; a "lets start over" sort of moment. He did act surprised when Jack wouldn't take his hand, but deep down I think he knows he couldn't break Jack that easily.

God this season rocks.

If  they were there before Dharma then what did it mean when juliet says to jack it doesn't matter who we were but  who we are now ?

i think they are the offspring of the original Dharma
crossing my fingers on this one tho
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 02:14:39 PM by Demra »