Author Topic: What Jack is needed for...  (Read 11499 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: What Jack is needed for...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 04:51:59 AM »
Let's remember why Ben was talking to Jack. At the beginning of the conversation, Ben tells Jack he needs to just change his perspective. By this I think he means his loyalty. My first impression from that scene was that Ben was going to have Jack betray his friends in some way. He is going to try to turn Jack like how they turned Michael. The real question things brings up is, of course, why? I have no idea, but this episode coupled with Juliette breaking Jack down to give him food in the previous one leads me to think they are setting Jack up to join them.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 05:15:16 AM »
Let's remember why Ben was talking to Jack. At the beginning of the conversation, Ben tells Jack he needs to just change his perspective. By this I think he means his loyalty. My first impression from that scene was that Ben was going to have Jack betray his friends in some way. He is going to try to turn Jack like how they turned Michael. The real question things brings up is, of course, why? I have no idea, but this episode coupled with Juliette breaking Jack down to give him food in the previous one leads me to think they are setting Jack up to join them.

I'm just as curious about how the others plan on changing Jack's perspective and what that even means. It's almost as if Jack is being prepped, physically and psychologically, for an assignment. We're not exactly sure if Jack can trust the others and vice versa, or if Jack will even accept to Ben's offer so we all just have to wait and see.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 05:27:49 AM »
It could be a combination of Jack's doctoring skills -- which Ben knows firsthand from his arrow wound -- as well as the fact that Jack is the most troublemaking Lostie.

He's constantly crossing lines, being stubborn, making trouble. He's in-yer-face with them, and that can cause problems. If they break him down, at least somewhat, he might just leave them alone more. That might be all there is to it.

Or, of course, the doctor thing, perhaps at least on a temporary basis while he's in their custody. Jack seems to bond with people when he's helping them medically.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2006, 10:29:24 AM »
Exactly, Casey. They're trying to get Jack to be another Michael. Remember how "Just like Michael" wsa thrown in there. Jack is going to be asked to betray his friends, and I don't think he will, and after that,
Spoiler
One of the LOSTies will die because of Jack's ecision not to go back to the beach.
Whether Jack is turned in the end or no, I don't know.

Possibly, they'll ask him to perform some minor surgery, but I really don't think that it is the real reason for capturing him.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »
I think whatever is asked of him will seem like a betrayal to the Losties and Jack will not do it (whatever it is) unless he changes his perspective.  I take this to mean that he will need to come to view the others in a new light somehow.
I think he will only be able to do what they ask if he thinks what he is doing is for a greater good.
I could be wrong but "betrayal" in some way crossed my mind at that moment.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »
Jack is needed to deal with his father, Christian when he returns. Christian is with dharama and they want Jack to change his perspective to that of the others. The others are at odds with the old Dharma leadership which Christian is part of.Ch

Christian is alive. People need to start seeing that!! ;D

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2006, 10:58:44 AM »
Jack is needed to deal with his father, Christian when he returns. Christian is with dharama and they want Jack to change his perspective to that of the others. The others are at odds with the old Dharma leadership which Christian is part of.Ch

Christian is alive. People need to start seeing that!! ;D
I think Christian is alive too!!  For the record by the way

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »
You do not need to break a guy down and change his perspective to have him perfom surgery. It is setting him up to deal with his father.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
Oh yeah, they are not going to have Jack go and bring people back, been there and done that with Michael. Not going to repeat the same plot.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2006, 01:43:10 PM »
Oh yeah, they are not going to have Jack go and bring people back, been there and done that with Michael. Not going to repeat the same plot.
It's not quite the same. Michael was doing it for his boy. Jack would be doing it to (?save Kate and Sawyer maybe?) or some other reason.

Christian is dead.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2006, 01:49:05 PM »

it sounded to me like benry started to say " change your attitude  " then said perspective instead

juggy the last thing jack would do is join his dad even if he was alive which he is not

JB  some things are spoilers and even if he does not go back to the beach  it just means he stayed  for a reason IE care for a patient  not that he has joined the Others

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2006, 02:07:15 PM »
it sounded to me like benry started to say " change your attitude  " then said perspective instead
I thought it sounded like that too.... I was wondering about it.
JB  some things are spoilers and even if he does not go back to the beach  it just means he stayed  for a reason IE care for a patient  not that he has joined the Others
I didn't post the spoiler. Yet. But you do have a point. I was just specualting, not posting what I back 100%. You have to agree that it is possible, though, and more than likely, they are trying to "turn" Jack.

Offline st. mark

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 02:09:10 PM »
but how often do they need a back surgeon   is it for kate and sawyer who are doing back breaking work?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 02:15:02 PM »
As we've seen, Jack can do more than just spinal surgery. That's just his speciality.

Offline HanginWithMrEko

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
first time poster, so bare w/ me, but I think the main reason they went after Jack was to get the most trusted lostie to get what the Others seem to be going after most, which was Claire's baby. They seemed to really push for that before and it has fallen off the face of the earth as far as the others interaction w/ the losties. (i like the term losties...)

In the next episode, it looks as if Jack now has a bargaining chip with Colleen getting shot, and that bargaining chip will most likely be "let my friends go..."

just some thoughts.