Author Topic: I'm THINKING!  (Read 7489 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: I'm THINKING!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2006, 11:09:49 PM »
Compass Bearing of 325... Does that mean 325 degrees as in about SE?

Sorry, off-topic.

mindsparkle

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2006, 11:17:46 PM »
Actually JB that brings up a question I've had for a long time.... how do you tell if you're headed at 325 if the magnet pull from the island messes up your navigational settings and you can't even find north? 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »
Maybe to actually go the correct direction, you would follow 325 (if it's southeasterly, that brings up another question) until you are out of the pull of the Island, putting you in a circular path with an increasing radius.

However, if it is SE-ish, then from where the plane crashed, the only land SE of the Island is Antarctica. What's up with that?

Offline ozman776

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »
if true north is 0/360 then 325 would be 10o off nw which would land you at fiji/tahiti which are under the british rule and possibly widmores lair....

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2006, 10:39:46 AM »
When I saw the preview that showed Ben's reaction to the sailboat news, I thought his reaction was exactly the same as when the Losties saw the boat drift in for the first time.

"I'm on a island...and there's a BOAT!"

However, in retrospect, I think he just wants to keep it away from the Losties.  I don't think a guy like that would live there his whole life (lie or not) without a reason.  I think he is aware of ways to get away and either chooses not to because he fears the outside world (disease, heathens, etc) or maybe he actually meets with outsiders on a regular basis for supplies, World Series highlights and dual-disc DVD/CDs.

While we're at it...what is the implication of the tug boat we saw in Season 2.  Why a tug?  I'm thinking the kind of things that were brought to the island came in LARGE quantities if a tug boat was needed.  And how about the waste of gasoline when making the fire by the dock?  I would imagine that's precious cargo on a sailboat with a backup engine.  Leave it to an Iraqi to waste petroleum.

(only joking here, folks!)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:05:57 PM by Creflo »

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »
Wow Creflo- I was going to respond to something you just said, but that last comment just, I mean, wow. Anyway...

I've been getting this creepy feeling that we're going to start getting a "prophecy" type thing. Like somewhere on the island "...it is written that a metal bird will fall from the sky and bring with it..." Blah blah blah. I really hope it doesn't turn into that. I have seen so many of those types of shows and movies that the premise would actually ruin the show in my opinion.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »
if true north is 0/360 then 325 would be 10o off nw which would land you at fiji/tahiti which are under the british rule and possibly widmores lair....
If you look at the Unit Circle (granted that navigation may be different, I don't know) 0/360 is due East. That would put 325 about SE.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006, 02:34:40 AM »

325 would be North west it appears
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 02:36:17 AM by Demra »

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006, 07:40:34 PM »
Thanks, Jim. That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking it would be better to travel toward Asia instead of North America.

misspensinger

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »
This was discussed alot on this thread: "Follow a compass bearing 325, and you and your son will find rescue"

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=1466.0

Hope you find it helpful :D

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2006, 11:26:02 PM »
This was discussed alot on this thread: "Follow a compass bearing 325, and you and your son will find rescue"

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=1466.0

Hope you find it helpful :D

and they won't reach it as were never meant to, with magnetic field up old beat up boat; boat of doom.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2006, 01:04:02 PM »
Maybe this is going to explain how Michael never gets to leave the island. Ben told him to follow 325, but that was with the magnetic anomally. When Desmond turned the failsafe key, Michael had already set sail, so Ben couldn't have told him what the new heading would be. Now, if there is some kind of "doorway" at 325, it may have moved when the magnet went kaput, or shut completely. If this is the case, then maybe Michael will float around aimlessly and die of exposure!!!!! God I hope so. I know that Walt is on the boat with him, but Walt will be smart enough to just go back to the island. Man, this would be an awesome end to such an unimportant, useless character, to just have him die out in the middle of the ocean.

Fingers crossed everyone.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2006, 02:01:59 PM »
Maybe this is going to explain how Michael never gets to leave the island. Ben told him to follow 325, but that was with the magnetic anomally. When Desmond turned the failsafe key, Michael had already set sail, so Ben couldn't have told him what the new heading would be. Now, if there is some kind of "doorway" at 325, it may have moved when the magnet went kaput, or shut completely. If this is the case, then maybe Michael will float around aimlessly and die of exposure!!!!! God I hope so. I know that Walt is on the boat with him, but Walt will be smart enough to just go back to the island. Man, this would be an awesome end to such an unimportant, useless character, to just have him die out in the middle of the ocean.

Fingers crossed everyone.

Yeah we ae all hoping that check out topic called let your compass be your guide heading 325, we all figured with magnetic annamoly gone Michael still wouldn't maket off in that old crummy boat and when it was on we figured Ben had set him up for something tragic -we hoped -to happen to Michael and Walt escapes.